Supporters Meeting

Perhaps it's just me reading not the room but taking time to reflect on the evening:

• Mr Cook seemed disinterested and somewhat disingenuous with some replies. Perhaps be mindful it is not an owner/CEO speaking to employees, it's customers being addressed
  • McPake looked like a dead man walking, the focus of the evening was things he and the players got wrong (summarised in his reply to the question on "have you heard of a high press")
  • A feeling that there was an acceptance that even though we had the highest average attendance in almost 20 years we exceeded our target of 40 points (for me that is simply not acceptable, our target would have seen us in a playoff spot and we have to aspire to be better than this)
  • Targets for next year were vague other than we need to put the Raith thing to bed (oh how the mighty have fallen) and when pressed a reluctant agreement we should be looking at the playoffs
  • I genuinely feel the support are taken for granted, I know many who have forked out a fair bit of coin supporting the club in various forms and offered superb support from the stands home and away. We are missing a trick with some of the ****e served up on the park by some players who are frankly not good enough. The last two seasons has seen so many youngsters showing an interest in the Pars but we have failed to capitalise on this and increase the fanbase with a series of inconstant performances. The attitude towards the QP and Inverness games was unacceptable in my opinion and we looked to have settled for mediocrity.

Just a bit meh to be honest and didn't come away feeling part of something.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Boston Red Sox said:

Perhaps it's just me reading not the room but taking time to reflect on the evening:

• Mr Cook seemed disinterested and somewhat disingenuous with some replies. Perhaps be mindful it is not an owner/CEO speaking to employees, it's customers being addressed
  • McPake looked like a dead man walking, the focus of the evening was things he and the players got wrong (summarised in his reply to the question on "have you heard of a high press")
  • A feeling that there was an acceptance that even though we had the highest average attendance in almost 20 years we exceeded our target of 40 points (for me that is simply not acceptable, our target would have seen us in a playoff spot and we have to aspire to be better than this)
  • Targets for next year were vague other than we need to put the Raith thing to bed (oh how the mighty have fallen) and when pressed a reluctant agreement we should be looking at the playoffs
  • I genuinely feel the support are taken for granted, I know many who have forked out a fair bit of coin supporting the club in various forms and offered superb support from the stands home and away. We are missing a trick with some of the ****e served up on the park by some players who are frankly not good enough. The last two seasons has seen so many youngsters showing an interest in the Pars but we have failed to capitalise on this and increase the fanbase with a series of inconstant performances. The attitude towards the QP and Inverness games was unacceptable in my opinion and we looked to have settled for mediocrity.

Just a bit meh to be honest and didn't come away feeling part of something.

I was at the meeting and would disagree with most of this. The first two points in particular are a million miles away from my view of the meeting.

It was pretty downbeat at the start of 2022/23 also.  They didn't even publicly state that promotion was a target - only that we needed to start winning matches.  

Also, without knowing either of them well, I don't think you would employ Cook or McPake as hype men.  It just doesn't seem to be in their character.  

At the end of the day, it is results on the park that skew absolutely everything.  If we're challenging near the top next season, all will look great - a performing team, stability on the coaching staff, important players under contract, a good crop of youth coming through, lots of good work in the community and our own training ground.  A club investing in the foundations so that the long-term looks positive.

If we're struggling, there will be a disconnect between club and the fans, too much attention to infrastructure rather than the first team, McPake won't be good enough, Cook will be drawing a large salary for doing nothing and all the community work is a smoke screen to appease the happy clappers amongst us. 

• Upvote 7

The work the volunteers do is fantastic. DADSC, Heritage Trust, Pars Foundation and the many others who give up their time is appreciated by myself and most other fans.

Being an integral part of the community is what we all want to see.

The work on the academy is looking fantastic and let's hope it pays dividends in the not to distant future.

I'm a fan of James McPake, he comes across as a passionate and honest man. I want him to succeed. 

Like others I love our club, it's a massive part of my life, and for a lot of my family. I want nothing but success.

However, here's the but!

I too feel disconnected. Maybe it's because the former board were virtually all of those who arrested the situation left behind by Masteron. I had high hopes when the new board took over. Now, I feel there's maybe not the same level of care and attention being given to the club. It feels less personal and I don't doubt their integrity or their motives, but I'm not sure they'll ever learn to love the club. To really succeed, I believe they'll need that depth of feeling. I've been a gubby **** in the eyes of some fellow supporters, I'll have burnt bridges with a few influential people at the club, so be it. I'm sorry but I'm not convinced.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

Someone asked him that? FFS, pretty rude question to ask a professional manager IMO.

Aye. He asked three questions on the trot. 

Verbatim I'm sure it was

"Have you heard of a high press, James?" 

Followed by 

"What about playing with wingers" 

The last question was about playing a striker with genuine pace like Burrell. 

Tbf to McPake he gave an interesting answer to all three of the questions. The essence of the questions was fair, we are very bad at pressing, we haven't played with wingers and our strikers aren't quick. The questions themselves were just very short. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Piracy said:

The work the volunteers do is fantastic. DADSC, Heritage Trust, Pars Foundation and the many others who give up their time is appreciated by myself and most other fans.

Being an integral part of the community is what we all want to see.

The work on the academy is looking fantastic and let's hope it pays dividends in the not to distant future.

I'm a fan of James McPake, he comes across as a passionate and honest man. I want him to succeed. 

Like others I love our club, it's a massive part of my life, and for a lot of my family. I want nothing but success.

However, here's the but!

I too feel disconnected. Maybe it's because the former board were virtually all of those who arrested the situation left behind by Masteron. I had high hopes when the new board took over. Now, I feel there's maybe not the same level of care and attention being given to the club. It feels less personal and I don't doubt their integrity or their motives, but I'm not sure they'll ever learn to love the club. To really succeed, I believe they'll need that depth of feeling. I've been a gubby **** in the eyes of some fellow supporters, I'll have burnt bridges with a few influential people at the club, so be it. I'm sorry but I'm not convinced.

Totally agree with the first part of your posting. I think all of this is what embeds the community spirit, which I for one feel is so important in our Club: undoubtedly it’s what attracted Fussball to us in the first instance, and I don’t think their arrival has changed anything in this respect. 
I’m not sure about your “but” bit though. Personally speaking I don’t feel disconnected. However it strikes me that you have been much closer to the Club and its operations than I have ever been, and maybe there isn’t the same communication with you that there once was which, if this is the case, is a pity. 
I feel quite well-informed and pretty satisfied with the media releases on the website and, whilst I too would be happier with a more exciting product on the pitch, I accept that there are possibly people within management who have a better grasp of what they are trying to achieve than I do. So, I’m prepared to be patient and I’m not going to throw a hissy fit if they don’t seem to be doing what I would like them to do ……….. or not signing a particular player who I think they should. This is not a comment aimed at you, by the way.
I’m very glad the season past has ended. Four months ago though I was convinced we’d get relegated. And in light of all that’s gone on I never could see us being in the playoffs - though I concede that it is frustrating and galling that we got so close, yet threw away the chance. 
As a footnote the one thing that irks me slightly is that we don’t hear very much from Fussball themselves. No doubt they prefer to let those they’re employing do the talking for them, but it would be nice to have a bit more dialogue with them.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Aye. He asked three questions on the trot. 

Verbatim I'm sure it was

"Have you heard of a high press, James?" 

Followed by 

"What about playing with wingers" 

The last question was about playing a striker with genuine pace like Burrell. 

Tbf to McPake he gave an interesting answer to all three of the questions. The essence of the questions was fair, we are very bad at pressing, we haven't played with wingers and our strikers aren't quick. The questions themselves were just very short. 

Having not been at the meeting but seen your summery I am quite impressed my mcpake’s reaction to these sort of questions when there must have been part of him that just wanted to laugh at them.

Did he not end on of these meetings saying something like being disappointed nobody asked him about bringing everyone back for corners. ?  get the impression he just likes talking football

Edited by parsforlife

I like McPake, he is a decent manager and person too. He has experience of getting promoted out of the Championship ,via the Play Offs with Dundee only 4 year's ago. I think all the fans will be expecting a top 4 finish next season. If he can get the recruitment right and is given the backing to do so, then really we should improve. I think finances, or maybe lack off, will determine our fate. My only criticism this season of the few games I attended, was the cautious approach and lack of entertainment, although everything clicked when we beat Dundee Utd on their last visit. We lucky we got a decent fanbase, which will probably increase if we get decent games at East End. Maybe manager and board have different expectations in the club going forward.

• Upvote 1