Vinnie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35654611

During 2014 and 2015, over 2000 folk were stopped by cops for speeding at over 100mph.  A nice wee money earner, the cynics will say. 

The top speeds were 156 and 155mph!  Incredible when you consider the speed limit is only 70mph. 

Like many of Britains laws, the 70mph speed limit seems very much outdated.  I know this topic has been a done a few times on .nuts, but what do people think would be a fair and sensible limit?  

Exactly Digs.  Cars are more powerful these days, they are designed for more speed.  We have ABS and Traction Control, we have airbags, run flat tyres, cars are designed to withstand impacts.

All of these things make cars and travel safer.  Motorways tend to be long and straight.  Our best "A" roads are long and straight and dual carriageway.  With all of this, our road laws seem antiquated to me and perhaps we increase the speed limit to at least 80mph, if not 90. 

Make it 85mph and issue seperate licenses for folk who want to use motorways. If you want to drive on a motorway, you need to apply for a seperate license and pass a motorway advanced driving course. This should get rid of the ****ing idiots who sit in the middle lane/outside lane trundling along at 65mph holding everyone up, causing tailbacks/accidents when people lose patience with them.

On the whole, Motorways are long and straight.  On a clear day you can see a fair distance ahead.  Really is no need to restrict speed.

The purpose of motorways has always been to allow travellers to move large distances quicker.  As cars have improved, there should be a review of motorway regulations.

It is 80 mph in France on the equivalent of motorways and even higher than that in Germany I think.

A quick look at the statistics shows the U.K. with the lowest accident rate followed by Germany then France. I've no idea how comparable the statistics are. 

80 mph seems reasonable to me. Does anyone know why successive governments stick to the present limit? Is it be cause of pro safety arguments?

It is 80 mph in France on the equivalent of motorways and even higher than that in Germany I think.

A quick look at the statistics shows the U.K. with the lowest accident rate followed by Germany then France. I've no idea how comparable the statistics are. 

80 mph seems reasonable to me. Does anyone know why successive governments stick to the present limit? Is it be cause of pro safety arguments?

I think the Autobahn in Germany has no speed limit.

I think the Autobahn in Germany has no speed limit.

Some of the autobahn is de-restricted however it's not a free for all as you can still be done for the equivalent of dangerous driving iirc.  Where there are limits they are strictly enforced too.

Archived