Sunday Car Parking Charges

Are coming to Dunfermline. Surely another nail in the town centre's coffin.

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/14312914.Sunday_car_parking_charges_are_coming_as_Fife_Council_budget_cuts_begin_to_bite/

Already have the farcical situation that the Kingsgate is dearer to park in on a Sunday than Buchanan Galleries in Glasgow, and now it seems that there'll be no free parking up the town anywhere on Sundays.

Seems that some folk have a strange axe to grind with Dunfermline? 

The Gyle isn't up to much these days, its been on the decline for a year and more, that's despite the tram route too.  I do quite like Livingston, although it can be a hit or a miss if you are looking for deals in MacArthur Glen.

Agree re the Gyle. I wouldn't cross the road to go there. No Game and no HMV = No me.

Livingston is much better for shops than Dunfermline but they've been quite sneaky the last couple of years with price increases at car parks too.

If I am shopping - and fortunately I don't do it often, I'm happier just jumping in the car and heading to Glasgow on a Sunday. With the new M80 it takes barely 40 minutes from the town, and the parking is dirt cheap too (£2.50 for all day).

Maybe start charging in Glenrothes...though that'd mean Council staff having to actually pay to bring their cars to work.

On Sundays there are no restrictions (in Edinburgh at least) so folk will just line East Port and the New Row instead. You could just park on the High Street as no one checks anyway!

Council constantly treats Dunfermline like a cash cow to subsidise central Fife. Time to declare independence!

It's a disgrace that parking is free in Glenrothes and Cowdenbeath yet Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy have chargeable parking.  The multi-storey at the Kingsgate is ridiculous-so expensive.  Fortunately I'm mobile so can park at Leys Park Road for free and walk to the town but not everyone is that able.

The other cuts in that report are a bit more worrying than Sunday parking charges.

indeed. The ring and ride service will no longer operate at the weekend, plus it will finish earlier during the week. Hits the disabled and elderly, plus job losses for some of the drivers...

What's the justification for charging in Dunfermline/Kirkcaldy and not Glenrothes?

The only possible reason I think of is that it was designed and built as a new town to create homes and business opportunity.  The place is a hole and hasnt matched up to the original vision, and it needs all the help it can get?

Archived