Top Gear cenotaph bollocks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35800187

What a ****ing joke. I can't believe anyone is actually upset by this. Someone performed 'donuts' near a war memorial?! So what? In what possible way is that disrespectful? It's not like they left tire marks all over the memorial itself. Or did anything even close to disrespectful.

Of course the real issue here is the continued effort by the government and their controlled media to deify the military, a devious, shameful practice. (Most of) the folk in the 2 world wars are (mostly) deserving of your respect as they (mostly) fought for something and against something.

The modern military is not deserving of that respect (although I'm not saying they're deserving of abuse either). They are not 'protecting our country' or any such bollocks. They are performing a job and often do so without thinking. This is not a good thing. They seem to be the plaything of old bitter men who yearn to steal land and resources, not to mention lives, from others. They are a relic of old Empire builders who should not be allowed to rape the world in the manner it does.

Guest The Beer Baron

Not really. I stand by my point that it's a crap publicity stunt. I don't get the hysteria over it but I do think it was pretty close to being disrespectful.

in what way??

Top Gear is boorish, loud nonsense that far too often had a bit of a nasty undertone that more than bordered on racism, which no doubt appealed to it's demographic. Some folk enjoy it; I think it's ****e.

However the show itself isn't the issue here; it's that folk are crying about a f***y in a car driving in circles near a war memorial. As the above post says, why is that even newsworthy? Why even mention that it was near a war memorial? In what way is it disrespectful? It's not even close to being disrespectful. The only issue with it is the minor inconvenience it would have caused folk for the time they shut the roads to film it, and perhaps some folk might have mildly perturbed by the noise.

The real issue is the propaganda.

It's all about respect, really.

Some second rate actor doing "donuts" and driving like some boy racer within throwing distance of a war memorial is not particularly respectful. 

Think of how many men didn't come home from the two world wars. They have no grave, other than the place where they fell. The Cenotaph was put where it is to honor them and remember them. So, yes, I do believe there has been at least some disrespect shown.

That said, I do think some of the hysteria over it is playing into the producers' hands.

Archived