Are you afraid of dying?

GG Riva

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!! Cheery!!

Yes and no.  Im not scared of dying, I don't believe in after life or anything like that, when youre gone, youre gone, I don't expect to feel any pain or discomfort. 

Think Im more scared about the manner in which I might die?  I want it to be quick, I don't want to know its happening. 

Good question, and could be a really interesting thread.

Honest answer for me is a big Yes. But then I'm also afraid of getting "old" too and just the whole fading process. Having watched my Dad go through prolonged and painful illness before he passed away earlier this year I really wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Plus, whilst I'm not really a believer in religion or any kind of "afterlife" I think there'll always be that wee fear of the unknown.

But then I'm also afraid of getting "old" too and just the whole fading process.

The getting old and fading away bit is a worry, although I wouldn't say it frightens me.  It frightens me more that Id have to watch it.  I don't think you would recognise it happening to yourself, so you wouldn't be scared by it, if that makes sense? 

Fair point Vinnie.

I guess too another thing I'm afraid of is not being around for friends and, more so, family and how my passing might affect my kids etc. 

But I suppose, at the end of the day, the inevitability of death is the one great leveller between us all !

I guess too another thing I'm afraid of is not being around for friends and, more so, family and how my passing might affect my kids etc. 

I don't know why, but I had this discussion with my missus not long ago, or a similar version of it.  Told her I wanted her to die first, so that she doesn't have to deal with the loss of me. 

Also means I can start looking for a younger model!! 9_99_9

Sort of a yes - more of the final moments though, looking back on regrets, things I did, things I could or should have done, missed opportunities and things I'll never see or do. That really scares me.

Actual death as in the exact moment, yes a bit - mainly because it might hurt!

After the moment of death, no, not really. I don't believe there'll be anything left of me (as in soul/consciousness) so nothing to be afraid of IMO.

EDIT: that said, I am afraid of any hurt that friends/family might feel when I'm gone.

After the moment of death, no, not really. I don't believe there'll be anything left of me (as in soul/consciousness) so nothing to be afraid of IMO.

EDIT: that said, I am afraid of any hurt that friends/family might feel when I'm gone.

Seems to be a common theme here?

Absolutely terrified in honesty. It sometimes causes me to become a complete insomniac and there's times I can't sleep for a few of days until I pass out.i go through periods of blocking it out. i have had   days out in the pub to help me sleep that night. I'v cut that out though in the past year or so for obvious reasons

Archived