LinkedIn

Vinnie

Conversation at work today about the merits of LinkedIn.  I have been on LinkedIn for about 3 years now, have very little information on my LinkedIn, and there is often very little activity in the news feed.

Do folk find it beneficial?  How do you get the best from it? 

Ive had a couple of offers of interviews, messaged to my LinkedIn inbox, based on my profile.  Im not really looking to change jobs so, I ignored them. 

I use it for business purposes occasionally, but given its supposed to be a business "tool", Im often surprised at the amount of folk who keep their profile private.

The Premium service is really aimed at Recruitment and Sales Professionals. I have Premium but my company pays for it. 

It is fast becoming a recruiters tool, and they market it as such to an extent but I would say don't let that put you off. I use it a lot for finding people but more 'passive candidates' (ie not necessarily looking/in the job market but might be interested) rather than the way some recruiters who are lazy and not very good at their job who just fire out messages asking if you want an interview without checking your profile, then ignore you if you get back to them.

I would say connect with as many professional people as you know. It does come in handy if you use it regularly, I could cite several examples of times I've got in touch with a contact, as I knew they could assist me with something, and I've had it in reverse. 

It's essentially an electronic version of the Rolladex (sp?) from the 70's/80's. A contact list. 

In terms of the CV, be careful. You'd essentially need to write your CV on LinkedIn, and then take that out of PDF. Personally, I wouldn't use it for that, as it's not a nice looking document. Put it this way, I wouldn't send it to an employer, as it comes across as quite lazy tbh. Also, if you're updating content like that, and you are connected to colleagues, or worse, your boss, LinkedIn will show on your connections newsfeed saying you've done exactly that. You can hide your career related activity in the settings though if you are using it for job hunting.

Archived