Bury FC

must be a horrid day for Bury fans everywhere, on brink of being punted out the league due to a total bell-end of a owner.

Owner was on talk sport last week arguing with a player about un-paid wages trying to justify the player only getting a % of his wage over 6+months. reminded me of the way Masterton spoke about staff being lucky to have jobs during our financial issues.

Pars fans gained a fair amount of experience in this area towards the end of the Masterton reign, could we have offered an insight to the Bury fans about how to survive or how to become fan owned?  

Bury's plight has gone largely ignored given they are a very small fish in a very big pond.  I can imagine those with the funds to help are probably City or United fans, and dont have the ties to Bury that the Purvis Group and others have to the Pars? 

Guest The Beer Baron

It's disgusting to think that they're due something like 190k (could be well off with that) yet this week Sancho signed a new deal at Dortmund worth 190k a week.

Not that this type of scenario should be encouraged, but football authorities need to step in and help save these clubs. Without competition it's not much of a sport.

33 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Pars fans gained a fair amount of experience in this area towards the end of the Masterton reign, could we have offered an insight to the Bury fans about how to survive or how to become fan owned?  

Bury's plight has gone largely ignored given they are a very small fish in a very big pond.  I can imagine those with the funds to help are probably City or United fans, and dont have the ties to Bury that the Purvis Group and others have to the Pars? 

People have tried to buy the club, but the owner who took over in December wants to get £3 million for the club, sure I heard he bought the club for £1

1 hour ago, The Beer Baron said:

It's disgusting to think that they're due something like 190k (could be well off with that) yet this week Sancho signed a new deal at Dortmund worth 190k a week.

Not that this type of scenario should be encouraged, but football authorities need to step in and help save these clubs. Without competition it's not much of a sport.

The thing you can criticise the EFL, and the FA for is allowing the financial recklessness that is going on in England just now rather than not 'saving them'. The average wage to revenue ration in the EFL is 106%. Collectively last season, the three leagues were in £406m of debt, with League two teams being £10m in  debt. 

You can't spend more than you're bringing in and expect everything to be ok, coutning on drip-down economics from the EPL, and that is where this comes from. The 'Greed is good' mantra from the top league who are alll sitting around smoking cubans made from £100 notes is not one that should be encouraged and sooner or later, the £5bn that is getting spent on rights for TV is going to go pop. I can't see how that is sustainable becuase all it does is push subscriptions for these services up, and more people will eventually sack it. It has to peak at some point. If it does go pop, that whole league from  the EPL down is in big trouble. 

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I didnt mean financial help necessarily, more like advice on how Pars United came about and how we club moved into fan ownership.

Ah, gotcha. Also, I hadn't realised that they basically have until midnight tonight, so it's probably too late to do anything anyway.

Yeah.  Very late in the day to do much.

Like I said, we are/were a reasonable size fish nationally, but THE big club locally.  As a result, our plight got some coverage and we gained local support.

Bury are small fry in their league and coverage of their plight has been a footnote in media reports.  They are the smallest club in their area, fans and business owners are likely to support City or United.  Its kind of like looking at how Cowdenbeath toil for revenue or support in Fife.

Had it been Carlisle (for example and off the top of my head) in their place, a club that could be a focal point of a wider community, I reckon the coverage would be greater, as would the wider goodwill support of them, and theyd be in better a position to climb out of this mess.

12 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah.  Very late in the day to do much.

Like I said, we are/were a reasonable size fish nationally, but THE big club locally.  As a result, our plight got some coverage and we gained local support.

Bury are small fry in their league and coverage of their plight has been a footnote in media reports.  They are the smallest club in their area, fans and business owners are likely to support City or United.  Its kind of like looking at how Cowdenbeath toil for revenue or support in Fife.

Had it been Carlisle (for example and off the top of my head) in their place, a club that could be a focal point of a wider community, I reckon the coverage would be greater, as would the wider goodwill support of them, and theyd be in better a position to climb out of this mess.

Disagree re the media, its been spoke about on talksport for several weeks, also been quite a few articles on BBC website. Don't watch SSN the debate or efl show on sky but if Imigine it would also be discussed on them along with Boltons troubles. 

Anyway what was the outcome, last I heard was they had 2 interested consortium's looking to buy them but owner was refusing to sell

Archived