Chris Hamilton

17 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

New manager came in and you wrote him off straight away

Don't see your point tbh. 

I didn't rate Hughes and Grant either, I don't see the point in taking leave of your senses and just proclaiming everyone that either signs, or manages for us as a fantastic, wonderful signing or appointment. In the same way I'll look at other teams signings and say "Player x is a good/bad signing", surely you do the same for Dunfermline? I've gave my reasons for not rating McPake, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. However if another team appointed McPake I wouldn't be looking at them going "Cracking appointment", so why would that change when viewing it from a Dunfermline perspective? 

12 minutes ago, Grant said:

Don't see your point tbh. 

I didn't rate Hughes and Grant either, I don't see the point in taking leave of your senses and just proclaiming everyone that either signs, or manages for us as a fantastic, wonderful signing or appointment. In the same way I'll look at other teams signings and say "Player x is a good/bad signing", surely you do the same for Dunfermline? I've gave my reasons for not rating McPake, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. However if another team appointed McPake I wouldn't be looking at them going "Cracking appointment", so why would that change when viewing it from a Dunfermline perspective? 

Just find it funny I mention negativity and you’re the first person to defend constant negativity. Fair enough everyone seen Peter grant being a disaster, but not sure what constantly slating everything achieves.

Edited by kelty_par

52 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

Just find it funny I mention negativity and you’re the first person to defend constant negativity. Fair enough everyone seen Peter grant being a disaster, but not sure what constantly slating everything achieves.

There's been two posts recently on this thread which could be construed as a "I told you so" type post, mines was one so I replied. It's a pretty solid presumptive that your post was also aimed at a post? It's a forum, people reply to posts.

I'm not defending constant negativity, because that's not what's happening. I'm defending people's right to post opinions that come across as negative, because funnily enough not every decision we make is correct, likewise not every negative opinion is correct. 

Everyone should've seen John Hughes being a disaster aswell. I'm still utterly baffled at the way some fans lauded that appointment. 

It's just giving an opinion on footballing matters, constantly making out that everything is fantastic achieves the same, **** all. I of course don't need to worry about slating everything, because I don't. It just so happens that in a season where we appointed Grant and Hughes and got relegated, there were allot of footballing matters to take umbridge at. Odd that. If we do really well this season and scoosh the league there'll be allot of things I'm happy about. The logic isn't hard to follow. 

Edited by Grant

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Everyone should've seen John Hughes being a disaster as well. I'm still utterly baffled at the way some fans lauded that appointment. 

I can only speak for myself but I don't remember many people being delighted with it. I think a lot, (most?) people were cautiously accepting of it, and then thought he sounded like he said the right things. It soon became clear that making the right noises was one thing, the ability to put those into practice is something quite different as far as he was concerned.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Grant said:

There's been two posts recently on this thread which could be construed as a "I told you so" type post, mines was one so I replied. It's a pretty solid presumptive that your post was also aimed at a post? It's a forum, people reply to posts.

I'm not defending constant negativity, because that's not what's happening. I'm defending people's right to post opinions that come across as negative, because funnily enough not every decision we make is correct, likewise not every negative opinion is correct. 

Everyone should've seen John Hughes being a disaster aswell. I'm still utterly baffled at the way some fans lauded that appointment. 

It's just giving an opinion on footballing matters, constantly making out that everything is fantastic achieves the same, **** all. I of course don't need to worry about slating everything, because I don't. It just so happens that in a season where we appointed Grant and Hughes and got relegated, there were allot of footballing matters to take umbridge at. Odd that. If we do really well this season and scoosh the league there'll be allot of things I'm happy about. The logic isn't hard to follow. 

I'm interested here as to what you will draw your comparisons on this season, if we get to the promotion play offs and lose to me we will still be at the level as we started the season.

Promotion as champions or via the play offs will be to me the only real barometer. 

6 hours ago, Piracy said:

Both Grant and Hughes are gone, all that matters to me.

I don't know about the specifics of their respective skillsets or behaviours, but neither had the necessary attributes to succeed at out club. 

James McPake is a different proposition and will be way different to the 2 previous managers in his approach to the job simply because he played and was educated in a different era. 

Safe to say we all hope you're spot on with your analysis, mate. 🙂

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Hard to argue with any of that, SP. Your coach has perhaps inadvertently detailed exactly why we were relegated last season - two managers who blatantly failed to implement his simple philosophy. 

Are you prepared to name your source? It's not as if you've said something defamatory about him. I have an idea I know who he is. If you'd rather not name him publicly, I'd appreciate a PM to satisfy my curiosity. 🙂 You have my word of honour that I will keep it to myself if you do.

I would name him but he’s going for the Ajax job😅 pm me who you think it is….. 

• Upvote 1

Hughes made more sense than Grant - due to what he did at Falkirk, Inverness (especially) and keeping Ross County up. He'd failed at Livi and the Rovers too, so I think most folk saw him as an upgrade, and one who probably would keep us up, but I don't think he was the top choice for many.

Re next season, anything other than promotion is a failure. Of the top 4, the two clubs with money got promoted and Montrose and Airdrie look to be weaker already. Falkirk will be better, QoS should do ok and Kelty will be interesting, but we should have enough to challenge for the title.

Edited by DA-go Par Adonis

4 hours ago, Digs said:

I can only speak for myself but I don't remember many people being delighted with it. I think a lot, (most?) people were cautiously accepting of it, and then thought he sounded like he said the right things. It soon became clear that making the right noises was one thing, the ability to put those into practice is something quite different as far as he was concerned.

Going off social media, twitter, DAFC. Net etc allot of people seemed to get very excited by the appointment, I just didn't get it.

I was quite glad initially when a directors son had said on twitter that Hughes wasn't in the frame. 

3 hours ago, Rengade Master said:

I'm interested here as to what you will draw your comparisons on this season, if we get to the promotion play offs and lose to me we will still be at the level as we started the season.

Promotion as champions or via the play offs will be to me the only real barometer. 

Nothings Black and white. 

What happens if we have a superb league season, get 80+ points but come second, then lose the playoffs in a heartbraking manner? While it'd be upsetting, you'd be cutting your nose off to spite your face to sack a manager for that. 

On the flip side, what if you do a Brechin, finish fourth, lose more games than you win, then somehow get through the playoffs, do you think that manager is going to be successful in the Championship? James McPake got Dundee promoted through the playoffs, but the Dundee fans I know had little faith he'd keep them there, does that mean Dundee were right to pull the trigger? What about when Brechin got promoted then kept Dodds on no matter how bad it got, correct? 

Take everything in context, look at what you're achieved against what what was expected in reference to the resources you had. The aim is promotion 100%, but likewise there's situations where we might fail to gain promotion, but you fancy the manager the next season. 

For me promotion is the only goal, any which way.

i could just about handle a glorious failure story in the play-offs it was backed up by cup runs, a points tally that would usually win the league and promising signs that we had an improving squad that were signed up long term.

Anything else is failure.

I don’t think I’ll be too far out the norm with that, which will create a lot of pressure for players and management, but I don’t think mcpake is nieve enough to think thats not going to happen.  Him signing players ready to embrace that pressure is a big factor in our recruitment IMO.

It's an absolute certainty that immediate promotion will be our aim, but no one at the club is going to trumpet that publicly, after what happened to Peter Grant's boast last season. Better not to make any proclamation which could backfire - just make it clear to the squad that anything else is a failure. 

If the club has the budget, it would be a clever move to factor in a bonus for winning promotion.