Chris Hamilton

Really happy with this signing. 85 games under your belt for a 20 year old is good going. 

It looks like the manager has got a great list of targets and it hopefully means we can pull a couple more rabbits out of the hat. 

For all the teeth-gnashing and complaining about lack of updates, I think this proves plenty has been going on, and tbh, if it means we continue to do the business then I don;t need to know every single step of what is happening. Every announcement so far has been a good one, and for me, that is what counts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Grant said:

Wide men are vital, sadly I don't know of any that are feasible and good. Might have to be a loan? If so they'll be later on. That or McPake pulling a rabbit out the hat. 

Just on the lazy dundee angle,  declan mcdaid or lyall cameron. 

Mcdaid was a reasonable player at this level with ayr,  he might not want to drop to our level tho.

Cameron had one of his earliest games for dundee being dispossessed on the halfway line before nisbet scored an absolute belter(god i miss him) but i think he was just 16 then, he's since had a few spells on loan at league 1, last at montrose this season.

Dundee may want him to go up a league next season tho.  

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Just on the lazy dundee angle,  declan mcdaid or lyall cameron. 

Mcdaid was a reasonable player at this level with ayr,  he might not want to drop to our level tho.

Cameron had one of his earliest games for dundee being dispossessed on the halfway line before nisbet scored an absolute belter(god i miss him) but i think he was just 16 then, he's since had a few spells on loan at league 1, last at montrose this season.

Dundee may want him to go up a league next season tho.  

I'm split on McDaid, he had a pretty awful loan spell at this level with Falkirk and hasn't played any good football for a couple of seasons now, I don't think he'll have many options above league one. 

I don't know much about Lyall Cameron truthfully! I remember that game, Nisbet was some pler. 

Grant Savoury from Peterhead is wanting to go full time? 

Edited by Grant

I spoke to a high profile coach last week and he said football is basic… bring players in that play in the right/comfortable  positions and all you have to do is work on a game plan on match days.

But most important was the team has a great relationship with each other and management team.. easy😅 

9 hours ago, Secure Par said:

I spoke to a high profile coach last week and he said football is basic… bring players in that play in the right/comfortable  positions and all you have to do is work on a game plan on match days.

But most important was the team has a great relationship with each other and management team.. easy😅 

Hard to argue with any of that, SP. Your coach has perhaps inadvertently detailed exactly why we were relegated last season - two managers who blatantly failed to implement his simple philosophy. 

Are you prepared to name your source? It's not as if you've said something defamatory about him. I have an idea I know who he is. If you'd rather not name him publicly, I'd appreciate a PM to satisfy my curiosity. 🙂 You have my word of honour that I will keep it to myself if you do.

51 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Hard to argue with any of that, SP. Your coach has perhaps inadvertently detailed exactly why we were relegated last season - two managers who blatantly failed to implement his simple philosophy. 

🙂

That’s exactly what happened. I know for a fact that Yogi alienated a large number of the squad with his ‘methods’ at a time when team spirit was already virtually zilch. 

Of course, I did suggest that was a distinct  possibility beforehand but was informed I was chatting nonsense and football dressing rooms actually revel in Hughes’ ‘banter’. 

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

That’s exactly what happened. I know for a fact that Yogi alienated a large number of the squad with his ‘methods’ at a time when team spirit was already virtually zilch. 

Of course, I did suggest that was a distinct  possibility beforehand but was informed I was chatting nonsense and football dressing rooms actually revel in Hughes’ ‘banter’. 

Hughes has always been a divisive manager, as most old school managers are. It makes you wonder why Dick and Ian have been successful at Arbroath, my only conclusion has been that they are dealing with part time players who also work in the real world of employment.

Which I think will have been a huge benefit to Chris when he arrives.

I wonder if the Don Thomas and Col Donaldson outcomes would have been different if JM's announcement had been made earlier as it was clear especially in Dom's case that he was one of the players who had fallen out with Yogi.

Edited by Rengade Master

It's an interesting debate. Both Grant and Hughes could be described as "old school"? Jim Jefferies would be another.

Football has changed since these guys were players themselves. Gone are the days, IMO, when giving players a bollocking in the dressing room or training ground, is advantageous. I think the modern day player needs a gentler, more sympathetic type of encouragement? The "arm around the shoulder" if you will?

I'm thinking that's why these people perhaps failed as managers here?

PS - At Arbroath, you have the good cop-bad cop set up that obviously works works well? 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Superally said:

A lot of credit goes to Dick, but I think Pink offers a lot more than is acknowledged other than just doing the presser if they get beat!

1 hour ago, Raymie said:

It's an interesting debate. Both Grant and Hughes could be described as "old school"? Jim Jefferies would be another.

Football has changed since these guys were players themselves. Gone are the days, IMO, when giving players a bollocking in the dressing room or training ground, is advantageous. I think the modern day player needs a gentler, more sympathetic type of encouragement? The "arm around the shoulder" if you will?

I'm thinking that's why these people perhaps failed as managers here?

PS - At Arbroath, you have the good cop-bad cop set up that obviously works works well? 

With an emphasis on not taking this off topic, I'm sure the realities of basically children being taken into the football environment at such young ages nowadays with their only real remit every day (in some cases) is having to get up in the morning, we can't really be surprised of the softly softly culture being the only culture they recognise.

I often wonder like I did with the Arbroath analogy that when you see some of our better players over the world whether those who have had a harder start/upbringing actually appreciate more the job they have now and the management system they work under?

So yes Dick getting the best out the older players and Ian maybe getting the best out of the younger (new breed) works so well.

Whereas the Yogi, Grant and others who imply the my way or the highway approach can quickly (especially with strong dressing room players) lose the dressing room. Perhaps Stephen Kenny was another in the that role having come from I'd imagine a very hard upbringing working with similar type players and who were very used to that type of discipline!

I see it very much so in my own work force especially after lockdown and them making comparisons to their pals now who are still working from home or having flexible work pattern, they now think they are being hard done by.

Edited by Rengade Master

4 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Oh come on, Keyser. Yogi's banter was hilarious. Like the time a player asked why he wasn't getting a start, after doing really well when he came on as a sub in the previous game. Yogi told him "Cos I pick the team and you can just eff off!" 

I really can't understand why that humorous exchange didn't have everyone playing out of their skins. 🤔

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rengade Master said:

. Perhaps Stephen Kenny was another in the that role having come from I'd imagine a very hard upbringing working with similar type players and who were very used to that type of discipline!

Nah, never really heard of any stories of players not liking Kenny due to him being a *****, more along the lines that his training was ****e and his methods quite unorthodox. Not every manager fails for the same reason, I doubt we'll have had a nicer guy than John Potter as manager, a coach who most players seems to love, it still just didn't work. 

Interesting that people have come around to Hughes being a ****ing dick, I said this could be an issue when he was appointed and fans were giving it the "Some of these players deserve it", I even posed the hypothetical situation of if we got relegated, would people be happy knowing that Hughes had alienated the squad? People just didn't get it. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Oh come on, Keyser. Yogi's banter was hilarious. Like the time a player asked why he wasn't getting a start, after doing really well when he came on as a sub in the previous game. Yogi told him "Cos I pick the team and you can just eff off!" 

I really can't understand why that humorous exchange didn't have everyone playing out of their skins. 🤔

Or that time when he hijacked recently-departed Kai Kennedy's post match interview. 

Barrel of laughs. Oh the banter.

Both Grant and Hughes are gone, all that matters to me.

I don't know about the specifics of their respective skillsets or behaviours, but neither had the necessary attributes to succeed at out club. 

James McPake is a different proposition and will be way different to the 2 previous managers in his approach to the job simply because he played and was educated in a different era. 

• Upvote 2