Abolish the monarchy?

Keyser Soze

Is it time to abolish the monarchy?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Abolish the monarchy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I watched some of the coverage of the Queen’s final but one taxi journey between Braemar and Edinburgh today. The accompanying commentary was staggering really and belied what was early unfolding. Roping in the likes of Sarah Smith and Magnus Linklater, the party line was that this showed the enthusiasm in Scotland for the monarchy.

Looking at the crowds, a few things thing struck me.

1) Whilst over the whole route they could be measured in the 100s of thousands, I have a feeling they will be surpassed in England between Northolt and London. When it came to Edinburgh, 70% of the vox pops were tourists. 

2) The crowds en route seemed to be characterised mainly by rubberneckers holding up mobile phones. The were a few sporadic rounds of applause.

3) Union flags were thin on the ground

The monarchy may get a short boost, but it has lost its’ greatest asset. Already there are clips of Charles acting like a stereotypical toff, disrespecting an aide at yesterday’s ceremony.

I think with Queen gone, we may learn a lot more about Prince Philip also.

My partner and stepdaughter have been in Scotland a year. After watching the coverage on the T.V. on the day of her death, she was struck by the contrast in the real world, where indifference largely ruled - one shopkeeper spoke about her displeasure at the prospect of having to close for the funeral. Similarly my stepdaughter spoke about the chatter of woman at the hairdressers, ****ed off with the constant TV coverage.

The media are presenting one picture. People will see for themselves what is happening.

• Upvote 2

This has been one of the biggest propaganda stunts since the last independence referendum. This forced belief that Scottish folk are turning out in their hundreds of thousands to cry in the street is sickening. The BBC and ITV have been well groomed in how this shall be force fed to the nation. We’re lucky she died up here to give us the chance for the whole Edinburgh thing, the Queen loved Scotland so much, program after program. For what it’s worth I’m not a royalist, but I did respect her as a head of state, who seemed a decent egg and a decent mother given the crap she had to sort out for them all (they can poke it now with chick and horse head). I’m not a devout nationalist but, whilst it must have stuck in her craw, I thought that Sturgeon conducted herself with dignity when required. Had chick just buggered off and let William get on with it I would have thought slightly more of them, not much though, so it’s a yes from me.

Had I been able to make the game with the webbed toed mob, I wouldn’t sing their national anthem, nor would I disrupt a moments silence, she’s a maw, a gran and a great gran, long live our gracious indifference.

Edited by Boston Red Sox
  • Upvote 2

Good points, eloquently made, BRS. 

The monarchy is an anachronism in this day and age - the king is no longer needed to lead his country into battle. Many countries still preserve one all the same, but the king/queen is little more than an ambassador. I don't think any other country has the vast number of hangers on that we have, mostly living a life of privilege funded by the taxpayer.

Will the monarchy be abolished in our lifetime? I very much doubt it. This would have been the ideal opportunity to call time on it, but King Charles the Turd has already been sworn in and all his previous sins have been forgiven/forgotten. 

Perhaps a surprising number of people in Scotland are still in favour of keeping the monarchy, but that's nothing compared to the fawning flag wavers South of the border.....

2 hours ago, Raymie said:

The lad that was arrested for shouting at Andrew is the son of ex-Pars player, John Clark

I see he has been charged. The court appearance is at a later date. Hopefully it will be after the country has calmed down a bit.
The publicity will keep Andrew’s dodgy connections in the spotlight.

1 hour ago, Raymie said:

I think he will end up getting a few hours community service? Maybe painting the gates at Holyrood Palace?

If he gets anything more than having his case dropped it is an absolute disgrace. Being arrested for heckling someone without using any profanity who paid £12m to stop him having to give evidence in a case where it was alleged he slept with an underage girl set up by an infamous sex trafficker has to be one of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

I presume now that all the christian fundamentalists (emphasis on the mentalist) who stand outside abortion clinics haranguing scared young women by shouting far worse than he did and holding up placards talking about murder will now result in Breach of the Peace charges due to the fact that someone else may become upset by their actions and this may cause trouble?

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences, but to say he committed a public order offence is subjective at best. 

The monarchy is done. Especially since Prince Phillips opinion of his son that Charles was an absolute wet wipe is being proven with his acceptance of Andrews insistence on being publicly rehabilitated, something that the Queen at least had the sense to recognise would cause offence. He also quietly put over 100 Clarence House staff under consultation for redundancy as he was named King, no messing about.

As Monarch, Charles must also name 5 trusted advisors to speak on his behalf when he is out of the country, or taken ill. One must be his spouse, the rest are the next 4 in line to the throne. That includes Andrew and his daughter Beatrice who has only just turned 21, but precludes Anne, arguably the last of them that holds any respect of the general public. 

The entire premise of the monarchy is a hangover from times long dead, and should be no more than an ambassadorial role at most, not funded by us, or exempt from tax from any tax like the rest of us. Their sh**e stinks the same as the rest of us, and I, for one, am nobodies subject.

• Upvote 4