Reserves

Superally

Defensively we played well. I thought Dundee United were the better team throughout the game. They were much stronger, they brushed our players off the ball on tooo many occasions. They were also quicker and didn't give the ball away too often. However, I'm not sure about their age group, they might have been a couple of years older, which makes a huge difference at this level.

We undoubtedly have talent but we need to be better at holding onto the ball and winning those 50/50's.

It was a good game to watch and we did create some good chances, especially towards the end.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Eulum said:

Defensively we played well. I thought Dundee United were the better team throughout the game. They were much stronger, they brushed our players off the ball on tooo many occasions. They were also quicker and didn't give the ball away too often. However, I'm not sure about their age group, they might have been a couple of years older, which makes a huge difference at this level.

We undoubtedly have talent but we need to be better at holding onto the ball and winning those 50/50's.

It was a good game to watch and we did create some good chances, especially towards the end.

Quite a number of our lads are only 16, there is always going to be physical differences for a year or so, but playing them at this level can only be beneficial for them if they are technically good enough. They had u15's in the squad for the win against Morton too, it's a young team.

1 hour ago, SRBpar said:

Young Andy Tod has been impressing in reserve U'18. hopefully he can get some game time in the first team.

There is absolutely no need to rush him into the first team. He's only 16.

I really feel the fans need to calm down where he's concerned. The reaction he got in the Killie friendly was embarrassing tbh. He came on for 10 mins to an applause no other sub got, then having done ok, got a standing ovation from the stand when he came over to clap the fans. He must've been wondering what they were playing at, it was completely unwarranted. 

I'm not saying he's not good enough, far from it, but false praise and huge expectation are counter productive to his development. The manager and Sheildsy are experienced youth coaches and will know when the time is right to give him the time he deserves. Having him on the bench for now is great experience for him, but under normal circumstances where we would have a full 1st team squad, he'd be nowhere near. That's not a criticism, it's just a fact.

If his performances continue to merit some game time, I'm sure it will come. In the meantime, fans need to stop going daft over him because he's Toddy's laddie. It's extra pressure he doesn't need.

• Upvote 6

That said McPake had him stripped to come on at Alloa only for the ref to blow for FT. McPake doesn’t strike me as giving the young players anytime in the pitch if they are not ready or deserving.

1 hour ago, Digs said:

There is absolutely no need to rush him into the first team. He's only 16.

I really feel the fans need to calm down where he's concerned. The reaction he got in the Killie friendly was embarrassing tbh. He came on for 10 mins to an applause no other sub got, then having done ok, got a standing ovation from the stand when he came over to clap the fans. He must've been wondering what they were playing at, it was completely unwarranted. 

I'm not saying he's not good enough, far from it, but false praise and huge expectation are counter productive to his development. The manager and Sheildsy are experienced youth coaches and will know when the time is right to give him the time he deserves. Having him on the bench for now is great experience for him, but under normal circumstances where we would have a full 1st team squad, he'd be nowhere near. That's not a criticism, it's just a fact.

If his performances continue to merit some game time, I'm sure it will come. In the meantime, fans need to stop going daft over him because he's Toddy's laddie. It's extra pressure he doesn't need.

50 minutes ago, livipar2 said:

That said McPake had him stripped to come on at Alloa only for the ref to blow for FT. McPake doesn’t strike me as giving the young players anytime in the pitch if they are not ready or deserving.

I agree, that's what I said. Although, that was more of a time wasting sub than giving him game time, it was a case of needs must. He obviously trusts him, and will have given him orders to keep the ball and get us up the pitch, but my point stands.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Eastendtales said:

Are you sure you're not confusing expectation with respect and fond feelings for his father ?  

I've not been there and don't hear what folk say at the game obviously, but that could also be a reason.

People love to have a hero, we've had far too many scapegoats, let the laddie get a grand applause. 

He’s getting standing ovations and more cheers than other players because he’s Toddy’s laddie. That’s the point, he’s not Toddy, let him be his own man and get on with his development. 

2 hours ago, Digs said:

He’s getting standing ovations and more cheers than other players because he’s Toddy’s laddie. That’s the point, he’s not Toddy, let him be his own man and get on with his development. 

It's hardly a trade off though. If he comes on as a late sub let's say, should folk temper their applause ? Nah come on, nobody seriously expects big things from anyone from the youth team. He'll develop on his own trajectory whether his dad is a legend or not. 

8 hours ago, Eastendtales said:

It's hardly a trade off though. If he comes on as a late sub let's say, should folk temper their applause ? Nah come on, nobody seriously expects big things from anyone from the youth team. He'll develop on his own trajectory whether his dad is a legend or not. 

Aye, of course you can applaud, but its been way over the top. If they don't expect big things then I'd suggest calming themselves down to a panic. You've clearly never heard it. 

12 hours ago, Digs said:

McPake said as much after that Killie game iirc. 

I thought it was OTT but im sure it gave the young lad a bit of confidence boost, certainly better than the reaction players like Ross Millen got most of the time even when they played well.

• Upvote 1