James McPake

GG Riva

Having recently read an intimate biography of the late, great Jock Stein, I can see so many parallels with our young manager. Not only is he tactically astute, he also treats his players with real consideration and fatherly understanding, ensuring their needs, away from the pitch, are properly looked after. That`s the mark of a really good human being.

https://dafc.co.uk/availability-update/

And let`s not forget Dave Mackay, who is a perfect foil for McPake and plays his part in an excellent management team. I know football can be a very fickle career, but I hope we can keep these gents at EEP for a good few years yet.....

• Upvote 4

McPake is our most competent manager in an age, said this often, but the more I say it the more obvious it becomes. He'll become hot property if he gets us up, which I think he just might. I've had few basic conversations with him and he's answered a few questions I put to him with forthright honesty. You can tell he's fiercely passionate about all aspects of the club, his team, and football in general. Top bloke imo, and a huge asset who's putting pride back into our club. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Superally said:

McPake is the manager, but he is the first to admit its a team game and his approach demonstrates that

I love the fact that all the players like and respect him and that he treats them first and foremost with consideration and compassion. I know there are folk who claim you don't have to be popular to be a top manager, but players will surely perform better for a manager they like and respect. 

Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself in comparing him to Jock Stein when he was the Pars manager, but what I'm seeing and hearing suggests otherwise. Several Pars players from the 60s have told me Stein was a master motivator, tactically astute and a brilliant psychologist. "He made you believe we could go out and beat anybody", was a phrase used by many of his former players.

The confidence McPake has instilled in the current squad, as evidenced in the last couple of games, suggests he is adopting a similar approach.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Piracy said:

McPake is our most competent manager in an age, said this often, but the more I say it the more obvious it becomes. He'll become hot property if he gets us up, which I think he just might. I've had few basic conversations with him and he's answered a few questions I put to him with forthright honesty. You can tell he's fiercely passionate about all aspects of the club, his team, and football in general. Top bloke imo, and a huge asset who's putting pride back into our club. 

Pretty much this. I get the feeling he believes in the club because we believed in him. Think it would have to be a pretty decent offer to get him to move on.

Completely different man to the one that managed Dundee.

Managed the squad superbly, man management has been second to none.

Wasn't sure when he first came but his two "worst" signings McGowan and Mahon still contributed to the campaign.

Comes across very well and has great passion for his players and the club. 

6 hours ago, Superally said:

McPake is the manager, but he is the first to admit its a team game and his approach demonstrates that

Yep,  I think it gets forgotten by some that manager is just another role in a team working towards a goal and that's not limited to football.  McPake got it right the moment he walked into the room to meet the players, it was wanted to be known what the players should call him and he said James, he didn't want any divide.

3 hours ago, GG Riva said:

I love the fact that all the players like and respect him and that he treats them first and foremost with consideration and compassion. I know there are folk who claim you don't have to be popular to be a top manager, but players will surely perform better for a manager they like and respect. 

Agreed,  you don't need to be popular to be a top manager, but I think it limits you, Mourinho would be a good example IMO,  his approach can get a lot of a side,  but after a couple of seasons the players stop tolerating it and performances drop.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

ep,  I think it gets forgotten by some that manager is just another role in a team working towards a goal and that's not limited to football.  McPake got it right the moment he walked into the room to meet the players, it was wanted to be known what the players should call him and he said James, he didn't want any divide.

As a manager of a team of 18 guys, I know how difficult is it to keep a full group onside. I started off with the pally boss approach and ended up with 3-4 taking advantage of me, after I gave them a bit of freedom to carry out their role without micro-managing.  Then when I have tried to regain authority you start getting a revolt from another 3-4 guys. The majority are a joy to work with but you always get that 20% that have to make life difficult.  Keeping your staff all on board and getting the desired results is a big task.

I think the big part for me is recruiting the right people. If you can weed out the trouble makers at the start then it makes your job a lot easier creating an harmonious group.