Pars v Ayr Utd

Superally

I agreed that something needed to change first half or we risked being out of the game before half time, however a change to a traditional back 4 would probably have worked better? 
Comrie tight on Murphy and deploy Edwards tight in Chalmers. 
Get Fisher on for Breen and pull Otoo into left centre back 

48 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

We are all over the place with no Benedictus in the defence. 

Indeed.

But we weren’t before the Partick game.  Without Bene against Morton and Queens Park we looked absolutely fine.

Looking back on yesterday I’m convinced we started with a flat back 4 and Hamilton was dropping back to make a 5, and it absolutely pulled the whole thing apart.  Comrie and Breen looked so out of sorts in that formation, possibly because Breen is much more comfortable at left centre back rather than right?  I can understand why McPake tried to change it from back 3 but it simply didn’t work.  

His double change was to try and mobilise the midfield and improve the links from back to middle.  Breen played better once he had fisher beside him before he too was taken off.

Overall - McPake tried something different and it didn’t work out. It happens. But these last 2 performances are the only two I remember under him where we’ve been poor and had a bad result.  Considering he’s still only lost 5 league games in his managerial career with us he deserves plenty support as he can look to put it right.

Edited by Rossmcno1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

Indeed.

But we weren’t before the Partick game.  Without Bene against Morton and Queens Park we looked absolutely fine.

Looking back on yesterday I’m convinced we started with a flat back 4 and Hamilton was dropping back to make a 5, and it absolutely pulled the whole thing apart.  Comrie and Breen looked so out of sorts in that formation, possibly because Breen is much more comfortable at left centre back rather than right?  I can understand why McPake tried to change it from back 3 but it simply didn’t work.  

His double change was to try and mobilise the midfield and improve the links from back to middle.  Breen played better once he had fisher beside him before he too was taken off.

Overall - McPake tried something different and it didn’t work out. It happens. But these last 2 performances are the only two I remember under him where we’ve been poor and had a bad result.  Considering he’s still only lost 5 league games in his managerial career with us he deserves plenty support as he can look to put it right.

Aye? I'm fairly certain it was a 5212, MoH at Rwb with Comrie inside him. 

I thought it wasn't far off the formation we've used recently as described by grant( personally I'd have put it as 3-4-1-2 but there just numbers and we're looking at a similar thing)   I think we changed it for a brief spell before the subs with hamilton dropping in,  breen moving to LCB,  otoo to LB and edwards to a slightly weird LWB,LW,LCM role. 

The first half subs slightly changed things with otto moving into midfield edwards dropping into a conventical role, but the moffat, summers, otoo midfield never really got alot of structure and in wasn't until the move to a back 4 in the 2nd half we got a grip,  not even totally sure of the midfield stucture at that point was tho, 4-1-3-2 maybe with ohaloran stuck right but moffat and summers rotating the between central and wide left AM spots

Edited by parsforlife

7 hours ago, Grant said:

Aye? I'm fairly certain it was a 5212, MoH at Rwb with Comrie inside him. 

I can see a few have said it was a back 3 but I watched the game from the stand, definitely looked like it started as a back 4, with O Halleron well advanced into an RM role.  Even at the warm up when the defensive lines were going thru their warm up it was as a 4 Edwards Otoo Breen Comrie.  Either way it didn’t work! 😂 Breen didn’t look comfortable until he switched to LCB and Comrie looked totally spooked. Fisher looked the most assured out of the lot when he came on.  Otoo for me has to get into midfield, he’s much stronger there for us rather than from the back.

Something needed done to stem the tide, but I am not sure hauling off Hamilton and Chalmers (neither of whom seemed to be the problem) was the best idea.

I think I would have moved Otoo into midfield, gone with a 4-5-1, dropped a bit deeper until half-time and tried to hit on the counter-attack when possible.  Ayr seemed to find it fairly easy to knock the ball about and find space out wide, so I'd have tried to negate that as a priority.

I wasn't sitting there thinking that we desperately needed Moffat to enter the fray and I don't think we looked much better between the first half substitutions and half-time. 

2nd half was better, although we didn't look particularly dangerous.  Jakubiak needs to bury that chance, though.  Would have been a real sickener for Ayr if they lost the lead at that stage, having dominated the game.  

On 23/10/2023 at 12:10, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Something needed done to stem the tide, but I am not sure hauling off Hamilton and Chalmers (neither of whom seemed to be the problem) was the best idea.

I think I would have moved Otoo into midfield, gone with a 4-5-1, dropped a bit deeper until half-time and tried to hit on the counter-attack when possible.  Ayr seemed to find it fairly easy to knock the ball about and find space out wide, so I'd have tried to negate that as a priority.

I wasn't sitting there thinking that we desperately needed Moffat to enter the fray and I don't think we looked much better between the first half substitutions and half-time. 

2nd half was better, although we didn't look particularly dangerous.  Jakubiak needs to bury that chance, though.  Would have been a real sickener for Ayr if they lost the lead at that stage, having dominated the game.  

Aye the subs were wrong IMO*, I thought the problem was originating from our right hand side. Fisher coming on was the correct sub but I would've taken off MoH to allow Comrie to go out to Rwb (If you still beleive it was a 5 at the back) 

Alternatively you could've went to a back four, had Otoo, Hamilton and Chalmers in the middle with Mccann and Summers playing off Wighton. 

McPake has an absolute shed load of credit in the bank though so Its no big deal. 

*Despite this, if Jak scores his easy, easy, easy chance we're walking away with a draw and I wouldn't be looking so deeply into it, football eh?