Wee Team v Pars

Superally

3 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

I think there's a threat, just not enough convinction.

Jakubiak last week, takes a touch instead of lacing it first time. Comrie on the rebound at the weekend hits it straight at the keeper. McCann free header six yards out in the first half at Partick. All big chances at crucial times, zero goals.

Aye I get you, Jak and McCann (so far) have never really been clinical in there careers so I do worry about putting to much hope into them changing who they are? I quite like Wighton as a finisher but when I've seen him this season he's looked pretty isolated and the bodies just aren't getting around. Jak looks like he suits the role better but again, doesn't look like a finisher. 

It's a tough one. 

• Upvote 3

Just over one season into McPake’s tenure I would have to say that we are still very much a work-in-progress, not helped in any way by the injuries we’ve had. I see it as a case of “keeping the faith” and setting realistic targets for 23/24. Of course we’d all love to be challenging near the top of the league, but a mid-table finish would do for me; consolidation this year, progress the next. I would have to agree that our personnel just don’t seem to be gelling at the moment - much of it through force of circumstance with players having to fill unfamiliar roles with which they’re not particularly comfortable. (I suspect that McPake is not oblivious to this and is probably tearing out even more hair than us, the supporters). 
I’ve been a big fan of Wighton since he joined us from Hearts. His potential is undeniable but I totally concur that he’s not comfortable in the lone striker role; he’s no battler, more an opportunist. They really do need to get somebody up there that he can play off. But this optimistic transfer window purchase of a proven striker who’ll instantly turn things around is simply pie in the sky. Having got rid of O’Hara and Todorov for (no doubt) very good reasons why would McPake then replace them with a like-for-like? Having said that I’ll be delighted to be proved wrong.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Grant said:

Aye I get you, Jak and McCann (so far) have never really been clinical in there careers so I do worry about putting to much hope into them changing who they are? I quite like Wighton as a finisher but when I've seen him this season he's looked pretty isolated and the bodies just aren't getting around. Jak looks like he suits the role better but again, doesn't look like a finisher. 

It's a tough one. 

I quite like Wighton as a finisher too, and I think he's missing Matty Todd more than most. Todd would always get up and support or go beyond him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3