Celtic

SanguinePar

The red card changed the game. Until that point, despite being a goal down to a goal against the run of play, with a deflection. Celtic were the better team with 67% possession. Also, whilst I know it was probably a red in the context of todays rules, if that is a red card, just stop football. The ref gave a yellow and that was fair, even though I still think it was harsh to an extent and then you've got VAR coming in getting him to look at freeze frames of his studs on his shin. 

What that didn't show was Meida putting his foot forward to block a pass, not tackle him, and the defender follow through and his leg connecting with Meida's boot. How that could ever be considered a foul I will never know. Is Meida supposed to just not try and block the pass and stand off him? If I had a pound for every time I've kicked a strikers foot whilst following through from a clearance, I'd have a decent amount for a good night out. I don't think I ever went down screaming demanding a card or even a foul though. Contact is part of the game, and if it concerns you that much, wear proper shin guards instead of things the size of fag packets.

Absolutely ruined the game. 

All that said, the last three goals were different class but it's easy to find space when you're a man up for those calibre of players.

• Upvote 1

On the flip side I thought it was a stick on red card tbh. 

He's high, he's went over the ball, his leg is straight and his studs are up. It's awful technique for a tackle. 

There's kicking a strikers foot, and then there's the striker having his studs in your upper shin, red card and the bleating from Hartson was hilarious, awful commentator. 

3 minutes ago, Grant said:

On the flip side I thought it was a stick on red card tbh. 

He's high, he's went over the ball, his leg is straight and his studs are up. It's awful technique for a tackle. 

There's kicking a strikers foot, and then there's the striker having his studs in your upper shin, red card and the bleating from Hartson was hilarious, awful commentator. 

That's the point, it wasn't a tackle, it was an attempted block that the defender followed through onto. If he'd gone in on him as the ball was there, 100% red card. The defender followed through and kicked him though.

52 minutes ago, Digs said:

That's the point, it wasn't a tackle, it was an attempted block that the defender followed through onto. If he'd gone in on him as the ball was there, 100% red card. The defender followed through and kicked him though.

It was an attempted block that ended up getting none of the ball, and with Maedas studs halfway up his leg, because he's went over the ball, and got none of it. 

If you're going to play silly games you're going to win silly prizes. 

20231108_111956.jpg.91f4c8e7d8934654c6a7eb9926d68f7b.jpg

And in this instance if you're attempting a block and end up in the above decision you're going to get sent off, and rightfully so. 

We'll agree to disagree because again, stills always look worse as I said before. He didn't dive in with a straight leg as that picture implies. Again, his foot only makes contact because the defender kicks into him. 20 years ago in a good pair of shinnies, he doesn't even go down. Or at least shouldn't have. 

Football is a contact sport, contact happens. Or at least it used to. 

For me, they should be concentrating on clamping down on the constant holding with both arms in the box, or simulation when there is contact, or waving imaginary cards after every foul, or going down screaming holding faces when someone's pinky grazed their forehead. All of those things do more damage to the game than an honest accident where contact has happened, which is what happened here. A booking was more than ample, just as the ref decided originally.

1 minute ago, Digs said:

We'll agree to disagree because again, stills always look worse as I said before. He didn't dive in with a straight leg as that picture implies. Again, his foot only makes contact because the defender kicks into him. 20 years ago in a good pair of shinnies, he doesn't even go down. Or at least shouldn't have. 

Football is a contact sport, contact happens. Or at least it used to. 

For me, they should be concentrating on clamping down on the constant holding with both arms in the box, or simulation when there is contact, or waving imaginary cards after every foul, or going down screaming holding faces when someone's pinky grazed their forehead. All of those things do more damage to the game than an honest accident where contact has happened, which is what happened here. A booking was more than ample, just as the ref decided originally.

He didn't dive in with a straight leg, but that is how he ended up by the time of the Challenge/block. You can say it was a honest incident but by having such awful technique in the tackle/block he's putting other players at risk. The other player has done nothing wrong in his actions, won the ball as clearly as you could ever hope and the follow through is totally reasonable and proportional, to then have a straight leg, studs up halfway up the shin on his follow through is dangerous, and it would've been a dull yin aswell. 

You can clamp down on all those things in the second paragraph, as well as saying that tackles and blocks that end up like that shouldn't be in the game. 

Fwiw allot of those are getting clamped down on, waving cards has been a yellow card offence this year down in England, VAR has increased the scrutinisation of holding in the box tenfold but that doesn't mean we like VAR... 

As you said we'll have to agree to disagree, for me that challenge is quite rightfully done in the modern game, while Maeda might have been honest in his intentions it wasn't uncommon for players to be leaving one on players in exact situations like that. And truthfully it's an absolute ****ebags tackle eh? 

It wasn't ****e technique though, and it certainly wasn't a ****ebags tackle 🤣 How else are you supposed to block a ball? It was an accident, not a tackle, he wasn't trying to tackle him! The follow through made the contact and it was an accident. That's it, that's all that happened. If the defender had his foot planted or Meida had his other foot off the ground, I'd agree with you but none of that is the case, and no-one will ever convince me that that was a red card. 

• Upvote 1

Wether it’s an accident or not is completely irrelevant.

You go into positions that have a high probability of contact it is your responsibility to avoid going in a manor that could be considered dangerous, if that means not putting yourself it some situations then that’s what you need to do.

maeda could have done about half a dozen things differently and made that situation less dangerous, there would have still been contact but he’d stayed on the pitch.

Edited by parsforlife

Turn his body? No. You don't turn from a challenge as you'd be as well just not making it. 

Lower his leg? His momentum took him to where it ended up, and he's creating as big an obstacle as possible for the ball to hit, rather than put a foot on the ball ie it's a block, not a tackle. 

Not have it at full extension? Again, momentum and safety. try running full pelt, and stopping on one leg with your knee bent. Good luck with the ACL.

Turn his toes down? I'll give you that one, but again, he's not stretching, momentum from his attempted block has swung his foot upwards so he's not necessarily trying to play the ball with his foot, he's just trying to block it.

Completely lost on how bending your non standing leg in the air is going to snap your ACL.

You have given footballing reasons why you may want to challenge in a certain way, the laws don’t care and rightly so, they also rightly don’t care wether it’s an attempted block, attempted tackle or anything else.  The only interest is if what you’re doing is going to meet criteria for dangerous play.

His momentum isn’t any excuse either, he’s entirely generated his own momentum and it’s his responsibility to ensure he’s moving at a pace where he’s going to be able to control his body going into the contact.