Banning of superleague unlawful

Fifes Elite

1 hour ago, Fifes Elite said:

Trouble ahead?

I think there is going to be loads, FIFA and UEFA effectively have been kicked to the side lines. It will be the media and cash that call the shots and some club chairmen will be ringing their hands in anticipation. As for the fans, you can expect a absolute love in but will they be considered - I doubt it.

The press conference is at 12 but so far we have

"The plan would see a league system with 64 clubs across three leagues in the men's competition, and 32 clubs across two leagues in the women's competition, that would involve promotion and relegation."

All the super league games would be free on tv too which would fit into @Stanza idea they will try and appeal to arm chair fans. I actually wonder if they will just form their on tv/streaming channel for all games. The NHL does this in US. One years subscription and stream any game you want providing its not on another tv channel in your courtry(most people get round that with a VPN)

• Upvote 1

I think he is from my basic understanding of what the model will look like as it stands. Basically man utd for example can qualify for this tournament in its first year into the top tier. The next year be relegated from the premiership but could still be in the top league of european competition the following year?

And stay there no matter their domestic league placing?

Edited by Fifes Elite

15 hours ago, Eastendtales said:

Another nail in the coffin of football below the mega rich. 

Long term this could seriously damage Scottish football as a whole not to mention other leagues and their members. 

Just another sickening widening gap between rich and the rest.

I can't disagree with your sentiments, EEP, but there are many fans who believe Scottish football would be better off without the OF and if the ESL ever gets off the ground, we'd surely see the back of them? Another scenario, is that they would have B teams, which would still be good enough to dominate the domestic game.

Most of the clubs which had their fingers burnt when the ESL was first proposed have been quick to distance themselves from it this time, but if other clubs are seen to be jumping on the new, expanded bandwagon, which would not be a closed shop and would include promotion and relegation, they won't want to be left behind.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67797350

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

I can't disagree with your sentiments, EEP, but there are many fans who believe Scottish football would be better off without the OF and if the ESL ever gets off the ground, we'd surely see the back of them? Another scenario, is that they would have B teams, which would still be good enough to dominate the domestic game.

Most of the clubs which had their fingers burnt when the ESL was first proposed have been quick to distance themselves from it this time, but if other clubs are seen to be jumping on the new, expanded bandwagon, which would not be a closed shop and would include promotion and relegation, they won't want to be left behind.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67797350

People who want them gone are kidding themselves.

If they upped sticks and played in another league, they'd still get all the attention and our game would be properly thrown aside as a complete after thought. 

All our major media outlets would start treating (even more so than now) our leagues as equivalent to Wales and Ireland. 

Nah, getting rid isn't thr answer. Pushing through a more measured, balanced and fair set up of our complete game is what's needed.

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

People who want them gone are kidding themselves.

If they upped sticks and played in another league, they'd still get all the attention and our game would be properly thrown aside as a complete after thought. 

All our major media outlets would start treating (even more so than now) our leagues as equivalent to Wales and Ireland. 

Nah, getting rid isn't thr answer. Pushing through a more measured, balanced and fair set up of our complete game is what's needed.

Again, can't disagree with that. Trouble is, an 11 to 1 majority is needed to change anything. Can you spot the stumbling block? The top flight clubs missed the chance to end this hegemony when Therangers were plying their trade in the lower leagues. I'll never understand why they didn't grab the opportunity to outvote Celtic. Can only have been greed and self interest on the part of the other 11 club Chairmen. ☹️

So what we have now is equally unpalatable - a league which can only be won by 2 clubs for ever and ever......

43 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Again, can't disagree with that. Trouble is, an 11 to 1 majority is needed to change anything. Can you spot the stumbling block? The top flight clubs missed the chance to end this hegemony when Therangers were plying their trade in the lower leagues. I'll never understand why they didn't grab the opportunity to outvote Celtic. Can only have been greed and self interest on the part of the other 11 club Chairmen. ☹️

So what we have now is equally unpalatable - a league which can only be won by 2 clubs for ever and ever......

Yup, they completely fckd it when Rangers died. The levels of self interest ahead of our game as a whole are wholly myopic. 

A quick buck or a longer term stronger game? When push comes to shove, there's only ever been one winner.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

Aberdeen blocked it GG.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/moves-to-change-spl-voting-structure-1393897

Edited by Fifes Elite
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Fifes Elite said:

In fairness to Cormack he admits publically it was a mistake. Too late now though

Aye, it was much more than a mistake. It has held the Scottish game back for over a decade now and will probably continue to do so for many years to come. It's a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Eastendtales said:

Another nail in the coffin of football below the mega rich. 

Long term this could seriously damage Scottish football as a whole not to mention other leagues and their members. 

Just another sickening widening gap between rich and the rest.

Exactly this, it will only become a closed shop for the super rich. How long before international football dwindles too because the stars won't be released for games. 

Nothing good will become of this, the regular games will dilute the meaning of the fixtures between "super clubs".