Vinnie

Up until around 18 months ago I was out 4 or 5 times a week averaging around 5k each time but I moved house and there aren't so many decent runs on my doorstep so my enthusiasm waned. Hoping to get back into it this year....... but I know its going to be tough to start with.

I've run Edinburgh marathon for the last 4 years and did plenty running from January - May to train. 

But I've now got a bursitis on my Achilles and the Physio has told me that swimming is the ONLY exercise that I can do for the foreseeable future.

Like Digs, I often hated running but now i can't do it, I really miss it.

and I'm becoming more of a bloater!

Good advise @Pennywise regarding not focusing on speed.

I'm training for my first half marathon (Edinburgh) at the moment, getting out for 1 or 2 long runs a week plus the Parkrun in Kirkcaldy every Saturday and I also play 7s on a Monday.

Running becomes enjoyable once you get over the initial stage of feeling unfit.

I woiuld recommend the 5km Parkrun to anyone. It's not competitive, very friendly and free! You get a time each week and you can access your stats online.

Dunfermline Parkrun

Kirkcaldy Parkrun

Also an Edinburgh Parkrun for those on this side of the water.  Cramond to Granton along the prom.  Also a Saturday morning, although Ive never run it.

I increased my distance this morning from 5 to 7km, and felt I could have easily gone further had time allowed.  Found that I quite enjoyed my run after I had found my rhythm, and controlled my breathing, which was about 2km in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived