Beer

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prefer lager in the summer but enjoy bottled beer from the Shepherd Neame brewery. My favourite is Whistable Bay but finding it hard to get in this area now,however supermarkets have a great selection of beers these days so always find  something I like.

I really enjoyed a few different ales on tap from the Cairngorm Brewery when I was up in Aviemore earlier this year.

Haven't really seen a lot of them in Morrison's where I tend to do the weekly shop.

Tend to buy Speckled Hen, McEwans Champion, Orkney Gold, Deuchers etc, try anything being honest. Love real ale.

Working at Harviestoun Brewery today and they gave me 4 cans of their new beer to try.

On call till Friday but looking forward to having a taste as their stuff is good.

Oh aye? Didn't know they had a new one coming out, what's it like? The pub quiz I go to every week has a case of Harviestoun as the first prize. Broken Dial, Schiehallion, Old Engine Oil, and my favourite, Bitter & Twisted. All great stuff :D

Beer! It's brilliant. Big fan of the Brewdog stuff, with Dead Pony Club being my favourite. Their Kingpin Lager is a treat as well and 5am Saint is always nice as is This Is Lager. Always enjoy going in and trying what they have on tap.

Been rather partial to some red beers recently. Skye Breweries' Sky Red is lovely and there's one I got in Tesco called Redacted, but can't remember who does it. 

Valhalla Brewery in Shetland have a tasty line. Old Scatness and Simmer Din are the ones to seek out, but Island Bere, White Wife and Dark Island are worth a try as well.

The Orkney Brewery produces some delightful stuff, with their Red McGregor and Corncrake Ale being the best. Look out for Skullsplitter.

Swanney Brewery (also in Orkney) has a cracker called Scapa Special. Yet to try their other stuff.

Williams Brothers produce some cracking stuff, with Seven Giraffes being their best, although Joker IPA, Birds & Bees and Cesar Augustus are all fantastic.

Drygate Brewery in Glasgow have a great range. Bearface is the standout but definitely try Gladeye IPA and Outspace Apple Ale.

Sharps's Brewery in Cornwall have a great line. Doom Bar is my favourite but their Atlantic Pale Ale and Sea Fury are worth a try. 

Hop House Lager (made by Guinness) is quality. Brooklyn Lager is nice, as is Sam Adams. Goose Island IPA is tasty and Anchor Steam Beer is good.

Beer! It's brilliant. Big fan of the Brewdog stuff, with Dead Pony Club being my favourite. Their Kingpin Lager is a treat as well and 5am Saint is always nice as is This Is Lager. Always enjoy going in and trying what they have on tap.

Been rather partial to some red beers recently. Skye Breweries' Sky Red is lovely and there's one I got in Tesco called Redacted, but can't remember who does it. 

Valhalla Brewery in Shetland have a tasty line. Old Scatness and Simmer Din are the ones to seek out, but Island Bere, White Wife and Dark Island are worth a try as well.

The Orkney Brewery produces some delightful stuff, with their Red McGregor and Corncrake Ale being the best. Look out for Skullsplitter.

Swanney Brewery (also in Orkney) has a cracker called Scapa Special. Yet to try their other stuff.

Williams Brothers produce some cracking stuff, with Seven Giraffes being their best, although Joker IPA, Birds & Bees and Cesar Augustus are all fantastic.

Drygate Brewery in Glasgow have a great range. Bearface is the standout but definitely try Gladeye IPA and Outspace Apple Ale.

Sharps's Brewery in Cornwall have a great line. Doom Bar is my favourite but their Atlantic Pale Ale and Sea Fury are worth a try. 

Hop House Lager (made by Guinness) is quality. Brooklyn Lager is nice, as is Sam Adams. Goose Island IPA is tasty and Anchor Steam Beer is good.

Spot the alky!!! O.o:D

Im not a fan of Brewdog.  I had to deal with their management for work and the owners are t0ssp0ts, but their beer is probably very good.

Sharps Brewery's Doom Bar is a cracking beer and they are now backed by Molson Coors so you'll likely see it marketed a lot better these days.  It will be my beer for the weekend as they serve it on the bars at the Rewind Festival (or at least, they did last year and I hope that arrangement continues).

Havent tried Hop House yet, but good to see it gets a recommendation. 

Goose Island is lovely too.

Never had to deal with the Brewdog management but any time I've been in to their bars (although only the 2 Aberdeen ones and the Dundee one) the staff have been sound. Like the bottle shops they have in them now, although a tad pricey. Tesco and Asda are getting a bigger range of their stuff though.

I've seen (and indeed had) Doom Bar in Wetherspoons before. Most of the supermarkets stock it and Tesco even had a 9 pack of it in their bigger stores.

I really enjoyed a few different ales on tap from the Cairngorm Brewery when I was up in Aviemore earlier this year.

Haven't really seen a lot of them in Morrison's where I tend to do the weekly shop.

Tend to buy Speckled Hen, McEwans Champion, Orkney Gold, Deuchers etc, try anything being honest. Love real ale.

You can get Caringorm stuff in both Tesco and Aldi mate. 

Favourites for me is usually the Williams Bros line. Only one I've not really enjoyed was the Joker IPA, it was a bit too hoppy for my taste. Favourites among them is Perfect Storm, Golden Ratio, Chieftain, Caesar Augustus, Birds & Bees and Harvest Sun (you can buy this at East End) there are others whose name escape me for now.

I also like the De Brus Blonde and Nut Brown Ale, St Mungo Lager is brilliant too, especially on tap. Some of the Brew Dogs are good. Deeside Brewery LAF (Light and Fresh) is an absolutely amazing summer beer. Really easy to drink and really refreshing too.

I've found the best place anywhere for good Scottish Beers is Aldi, as they often have 'Beer Festivals' on. They tried to get the De Brus ales in too but they weren't big enough to cope with the minimum order quantities of something like 2000 at a time.

Good shout on St Mungos. Had a few bottles before and it's lovely. Saw it on tap somewhere recently too (though can't remember where). Had a pint of a beer called Three Hop recently which is made by an Edinburgh brewery.

I like more 'regular' lagers as well. Cobra, Amstel, Tsing Tao and Tiger are my 'go to' ones, but Quilmes (Argentina), Ashai (and Asahi Black), Kingfisher, Chang, Budweiser, Birra Moretti, Sagres, Singha, Cusquena, Heineken, Stella, Foster's Gold, Lowenbrau, Grolsch, Red Stripe and Tuborg are all perfectly decent beers that I have (and most likely will again) enjoyed. In a pub with little choice, a pint of Carlsberg or Tennents is fine for me (as long as it's not flat and is poured correctly). If there is no other option I would probably even choke down Carling, but it's by far the worst of the mainstream beers.

Archived