Edinburgh festival

Anyone going to this? I have tickets for Frankie Boyle and I plan on getting tickets for jerry saddowitz. I'm having trouble think of some smaller shows to go to, any recommendations?

Play flyer roulette on the Royal Mile - accept the first 10 flyers you're offered then pick a couple at random and see them no matter what they are! :-)

Going to Forth on the Fringe, and Andrew Maxwell and Reginald D Hunter are on the bill for that. Both of those are well worth seeing. I've not looked to see who else is on, but we are going for a full day on the 5th and will be doing some of the family and free stuff. A lot of that is just as good, so it's worth searching what is on for free. It is hit and miss though and can also be terrible, but if it's free then you've not lost anything as most of them are only 30-40 mins long.

• 4 weeks later...

The top 15 funniest jokes from the Fringe

1. "I'm not a fan of the new pound coin, but then again, I hate all change" - Ken Cheng

2. "Trump's nothing like Hitler. There's no way he could write a book" - Frankie Boyle

3. "I've given up asking rhetorical questions. What's the point?" - Alexei Sayle

4. "I'm looking for the girl next door type. I'm just gonna keep moving house till I find her" - Lew Fitz

5. "I like to imagine the guy who invented the umbrella was going to call it the 'brella'. But he hesitated" - Andy Field

6. "Combine Harvesters. And you'll have a really big restaurant" - Mark Simmons

7. "I'm rubbish with names. It's not my fault, it's a condition. There's a name for it..." - Jimeoin

8. "I have two boys, 5 and 6. We're no good at naming things in our house" - Ed Byrne

9. "I wasn't particularly close to my dad before he died... which was lucky, because he trod on a land mine" - Olaf Falafel

10. "Whenever someone says, 'I don't believe in coincidences.' I say, 'Oh my God, me neither!"' - Alasdair Beckett-King

11. "A friend tricked me into going to Wimbledon by telling me it was a men's singles event" - Angela Barnes

12. "As a vegan, I think people who sell meat are disgusting; but apparently people who sell fruit and veg are grocer" - Adele Cliff

13. "For me dying is a lot like going camping. I don't want to do it" - Phil Wang

14. "I wonder how many chameleons snuck onto the Ark" - Adam Hess

15. "I went to a Pretenders gig. It was a tribute act" - Tim Vine

If these are the best 15 jokes, Im glad I haven't wasted any cash on anything. 

The last time that I lived in Edinburgh during the fringe was 2005 and I remember sitting stony faced during the performance of several comedians. One in particular I remember was at the Cafe Royal. We got free tickets at the clearing place at the top of Waverley. I sat through the show thinking that the pair on stage must have blown their middle class trust fund putting the show on and would get absolutely nowhere. I was completely wrong on that score as it was Jose Long who seems to have carved out a decent career for herself. I suppose at the time, given the response of the audience, I was in a minority even back then. 

Archived