How do you solve a problem like Korea...?

So this morning North Korea fired a ballistic missile lowish over northern Japan.

An apparently crazy leader, a growing nuclear arsenal and increasingly outlandish statements and actions... and that's just the USA...

Seriously though, what can/should be done?

Ever stricter, though seemingly ineffective, sanctions? Diplomacy to find a peaceful solution? Preemptive strike? Wait for an attack and then respond with 'fire and fury' very likely killing millions of innocent people on both sides?

Tbh, diplomacy seems the best solution to me, but how, and would it work? What sort of deal could be reached and upheld?

Answers on a postcard please...

Actually, another option - some sort of internal coup with a more friendly (or at least sane) leader to open diplomatic channels?

But could it happen, and should external people try to assist/provoke it? NK is a ****show, but the West hasn't got a great record when it comes to regime change, and the Chinese would not take kindly to it I suspect.

What exactly are North Korea's motivations for what they're doing?

Im not completely how anyone can understand what Pyongyang are thinking?  Lashing out against sanctions? - although this sort of action is likely to see China and Russia distance themselves from NK.

Guest The Beer Baron

Korea is a problem that was planted by both Russia and the west, in order to put on the back burner until the big arms companies need another big conflict.

Ever stricter, though seemingly ineffective, sanctions? Diplomacy to find a peaceful solution? Preemptive strike? Wait for an attack and then respond with 'fire and fury' very likely killing millions of innocent people on both sides?

Tbh, diplomacy seems the best solution to me, but how, and would it work? What sort of deal could be reached and upheld?

Sanctions have been ineffective so far, and as far as I can see, there cant many more sanctions that can be imposed.  Even China, an ally of NK have imposed sanctions and that has made no difference either.

I cant see a diplomatic solution either.  It seems to me that the two men posturing are the two men you'd expect to be sitting at the table... you cant argue or reason with stupid people, seems that Kim and Donald are two of the stupidest?

A pre-emptive strike can be ruled out.  If the US were to try, you'd have to think that Russia and China would rally around NK.  I don't think anybody fancies what would immediate become a third world war?

NK striking first would be an act of utter stupidity.  As I said before, China and Russia would likely distance themselves.  I think they will only get involved if the US really did respond with everything the have in their armoury. 

What exactly are North Korea's motivations for what they're doing?

They're mental. 

This is a nation that claims to be the best nation in the world (and even more worrying thinking that such **** actually matters). They claimed that the former leader, in his first ever round of golf, shot a record 34 under par.

Then there's this;

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-shocking/10-most-ridiculous-lies-north-koreans-are-made-to-believe/ 

And this;

http://www.ranker.com/list/craziest-things-north-korean-leaders-have-claimed/nathan-gibson?var=7&utm_expid=16418821-324.pMyN-GvlQ82K0fkssqN2cQ.2&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F

Not to mention this;

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2016/aug/27/north-korea-defectors-ian-birrell

I dont think that sanctions will de-escalate things. There was already that threat, Kimbo decided to carry on regardless, so I suspect he thinks he can do without.

I think its now a case of waiting to see who makes the first move? I cant imagine the UN sanctioning a pre-emptive strike, but Id be very surprised if it wasnt an option on the table.

Archived