Albion Rovers / Shamrock Rovers

Superally

There is signs of a increased discussion regarding the rebranding of Albion Rovers following their relegation from the senior leagues. It seems that a consortium wants to buy into the "Irish Heritage" in Coatbridge and rebrand Albion Rovers as Shamrock Rovers Coatbridge. Apparently they are not affiliated to the Irish Shamrock Rovers. Personally I dont think we need any more "division" within the game than we already have. It will be welcomed by some and hated by others just for those reasons. In truth its a horrible neglected ground with a pretty poor support but I would hate to see a very old cub est 1882 (Older than the Pars) rubbed out of existence.    

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Superally said:

There is signs of a increased discussion regarding the rebranding of Albion Rovers following their relegation from the senior leagues. It seems that a consortium wants to buy into the "Irish Heritage" in Coatbridge and rebrand Albion Rovers as Shamrock Rovers Coatbridge. Apparently they are not affiliated to the Irish Shamrock Rovers. Personally I dont think we need any more "division" within the game than we already have. It will be welcomed by some and hated by others just for those reasons. In truth its a horrible neglected ground with a pretty poor support but I would hate to see a very old cub est 1882 (Older than the Pars) rubbed out of existence.    

Yeah I saw this, terrible to lose one of the older names in Scotland. Absolute nonsense to being using the shamrock name and have no association with the club.

Nothing good coming from this at all.

That sounds absolutely dreadful -- we really don't need (in my judgement) more/any clubs based on ethnicity or religion. 

More than forty years ago I qualified with a lad whose family were some of the founders of Albion Rovers, and he had inherited shares from his grandfather. A family curse he called it. He had no Irish connection as far as I am aware. When I last met him, he was living in Brazil, which might be a better base for a new consortium....

Coming from the West of Scotland I have absolutely no sympathy at all for this idea.

There are long-standing historical divisions on religious grounds between Airdrie and Coatbridge which used to translate into political affiliations and worse. To further highlight these by having an avowedly Irish-named football club playing in Coatbridge is a dog-whistle for the bigots and hard-of-thinking on both sides to cause trouble.

I feel sorry for the decent fans of Albion Rovers being tarnished with this.

• Upvote 2

Another load of proposed divisive trash hoping to lock into a bunch of people who love the idea of being Irish.

Honestly, when will we actually move forward in Scotland toward a so called progressive society?

Just to add, we've got the Apprentice Boys of Derry march in Dunfermline to look forward to this Saturday. A load of knuckle dragging haters, polluting our toun centre with their unique brand of celebrations. Who ever sanctioned this should be relieved of their position.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Stanza said:

Coming from the West of Scotland I have absolutely no sympathy at all for this idea.

There are long-standing historical divisions on religious grounds between Airdrie and Coatbridge which used to translate into political affiliations and worse. To further highlight these by having an avowedly Irish-named football club playing in Coatbridge is a dog-whistle for the bigots and hard-of-thinking on both sides to cause trouble.

I feel sorry for the decent fans of Albion Rovers being tarnished with this.

From what I've seen on Reddit, Rovers fans are against this and don't think it's likely anyway.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is just a headline grabber to raise more awareness of the consortium, with no real intention of actually changing the name. They'll say something to the effect of "We've listened to the fans and recognise the importance of heritage" or some nonsense.