Lady Luck

GG Riva

I think everyone should be looking up.  New players bedding in, one or 2 coming back from injury and more to follow.  

Corner turned, one swallow doesn’t make a summer, but grounds for optimism.  Horrendous list of injuries, players out of position, wrong formations, but remember we hit the woodwork 9 times last game v Inverness, so few outside my Partick mate can grudge us what happened on Friday.  A draw would be good tomorrow night, but hoping for a win!

• Like 1

What does luck even mean?, if anything I think you can make your own 'luck' by picking a correct team, employ the right tactics etc, but I'd call that preparation, not luck. 

A good work ethic, clear roles & responsibilities, social inclusion, transparency and honesty etc are all contributory factors in creating the best situation for a creating successful team. 

• Upvote 1

I’d totally agree, that gives a team the best possible opportunity to succeed.  Was it Napoleon who said he didn’t want just good generals, but lucky ones?

However, the number of times we hit the woodwork v ICT last time, maybe there is an element of fortune also part of the equation. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Dave said:

I’d totally agree, that gives a team the best possible opportunity to succeed.  Was it Napoleon who said he didn’t want just good generals, but lucky ones?

However, the number of times we hit the woodwork v ICT last time, maybe there is an element of fortune also part of the equation. 

Create chances we'll score. I've seen us beaten up there a lot, however also seen them winning a couple of occasions. It's imperative we really take this opportunity (last Fridays result) to gain traction in our performances. Lose and last Friday means SFA.

9 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Create chances we'll score. I've seen us beaten up there a lot, however also seen them winning a couple of occasions. It's imperative we really take this opportunity (last Fridays result) to gain traction in our performances. Lose and last Friday means SFA.

I'm going to disagree with your last sentence in your last post. Last Friday's result means 3 precious points, win, lose or draw tomorrow night. A defeat on Friday followed by another to Inverness would have seen us in really deep ****. As it is, while we want to take something from the game, we'll still be in the pack of clubs trying to avoid 9th even if we were to lose the game. 

I strongly fancy a 1-1 draw.

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

I'm going to disagree with your last sentence in your last post. Last Friday's result means 3 precious points, win, lose or draw tomorrow night. A defeat on Friday followed by another to Inverness would have seen us in really deep ****. As it is, while we want to take something from the game, we'll still be in the pack of clubs trying to avoid 9th even if we were to lose the game. 

I strongly fancy a 1-1 draw.

I still think if we lose tomorrow we're still in real trouble. It's vital we string together two or three (not just one) results together for 2 reasons, create a gap and to reinvigorate a winning habit/mentality.  Let's be honest, we've been unable to win 2 games in a row for ages now, but can string a few defeats together no problem. 

• Upvote 3

Inverness are struggling too, looks like they have a fair few injuries as couldn’t fill a bench Saturday and had someone go off injured. Great opportunity to go get another 3 points tomorrow. A draw would be decent but then would make the ayr game a must win imo 

5 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

So, you're saying 9 points out of 9?

Mibbe aye, just whisper, but we'll then have an Airdrie side at home who have the worst away record in the league and won't like our pitch. 

Including the Partick game I think we'll be talking 10 points from 12*

How nice would it be to go to Starks in some decent form with a few boys back? 

*If Todd stays fit and we can keep Otoo in centre mid. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 26/02/2024 at 10:08, Grant said:

Nobody could have anticipated that in a ten team division, where 4th is the playoffs, and 9th is the relegation playoffs that there wouldn't be a middle ground? It's nothing to do with hindsight, if you're 6th you're only a couple of positions from promotion playoffs, if you're 7th you're a couple of places away from relegation. 

Where would be the position where wouldn't be worrying about relegation but also not challenging for promotion? 

Look at history, since the promotion playoffs have been introduced, every year the previous years League One winners have finished at least 5th, barring one season. (Last season where Cove Finished tenth, however QP finished 3rd...). There's absolutely no scope for consolidation, if you're not worried about relegation you're challenging for the playoffs. 

If we finish lower than 6th or lower we'll be the 2nd worst promoted side since the playoffs were introduced, to make out your level headed for anticipating that is silly. 

I think there should be at least 12 teams in the Championship but playing each team 4 times is an issue.

• Upvote 1

On 25/02/2024 at 18:13, GG Riva said:

There have been plenty of posters, pundits, and commentators suggesting that the Pars win at Firhill was all down to luck.

I`m not minded to agree or disagree with that, but is it not the case that in games between fairly evenly matched teams, a bit of good or bad luck can often make the difference to the final result? How often do we see a team go very close at one end, maybe hitting the post or bar and their opponents go straight up the park and score? Now, I would argue that there`s not a huge difference among the teams in a 10 team league, so any one can beat anyone else with a bit of luck and that works both ways, of course. 

So yes, Thistle didn`t have much luck, but their fans should dry their eyes and get on with it like the Pars have done, despite the never ending run of injuries we`ve had to so many key players this season. The bottom line is they lost to a team made up mainly of kids on loan and fringe players who would have been unlikely to start if everyone was fit. 🙂

From the Statistics, the Pars had double the shots on goal and 7 to 4 on target. That suggests to me they fully deserved the win.