The Pars v The Arabs

“The Wee Teams” win on Tuesday will set the tone for the match at EEP when we welcome Dundee Utd for a scheduled Friday night TV match. Ultimately the league leaders will be desperate to maintain their status at the top – so we can expect a tough game. Thus far games between the Pars and the Arabs have been tight affairs with two draws and a close win in favour of the sand dancers. The last outing between the teams at Tanadice was a 0-0 affair where the Pars soaked up a lot of pressure, but had their own chances to take the 3pts down the road. The Pars last outing saw us lose out 2-0 to Raith, but we had the balance of play, however the old adage of being unable to score enough goals and squandering chances has been hugely frustrating this season. The Pars beat Dundee Utd 3-2 in the SPFL Reserve Cup today where a number of 1 team players featured with goals from Holms (2) and Sutherland. There is rumour Kane, Fisher and Tod may make the squad and its getting to that point of the season where we need a fully fit squad as every game will count. A home win would be brilliant, but I think we will be happy to take the point. Score draw.

• Upvote 1

I can see this ending a draw, the pressure might get to Utd, as they seem to falter towards the title at the moment. Again I think we'll have to be on the front foot and at least stick one in the net. Have to at least go for the win, as the fixtures below tell you, someone gonna gain ground on us. I'll watch this on the box, cannae stand Friday night outside at a match.

IMG_20240313_081101.jpg

If we have to play this failed 3 at the back, I'd go Fisher Bene Walcott.

We simply have to go for the win, time is running out to get ourselves in a safe position. Our last 3 games are all against the teams around us and I don't think we'll cope with the pressure TBH

I'd probably go with Fisher, Bene and Walcott at the back, Edwards and KRH as wing-backs, Otoo, Hamilton and Todd in midfield and Kane upfront - with whoever he wants playing off him. 

I'd probably have Jakubiak in, but if Moffat or even O'Halloran were showing up in training, you could see some logic in either.

14 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

If we have to play this failed 3 at the back, I'd go Fisher Bene Walcott.

We simply have to go for the win, time is running out to get ourselves in a safe position. Our last 3 games are all against the teams around us and I don't think we'll cope with the pressure TBH

Failed? It’s failed largely because we have rarely had any, never mind all, of Bene, Breen and Fisher available.

47 minutes ago, livipar2 said:

Failed? It’s failed largely because we have rarely had any, never mind all, of Bene, Breen and Fisher available.

Our issue recently hasn't been restricting teams to chances though? It's been our utter paucity of attacking threat that's been the problem. 

Has anyone thought over the past few weeks that the defence has been the issue? I don't think Fisher being back will be massive, not because I don't think he's a good player, but I genuinely don't think there's been much of an issue with the defence. 

I was hoping that Benedictus coming back would benefit us with his leadership qualities, but we still folded like a cheap Ukrainian deckchair against Raith when it went to 2-0.

I'm just a bit tired with the constant "When so and so comes back it'll be huge", and well, we've had players coming back all season and it's not really making a massive difference. The latest player is Kane, a player we didn't sign until the 13th of February but apparently our attack now can't function without him. Does that mean that even if we did have a fully fit squad, we still would've been poor for the first half of the season because we didn't have a proper striker? 

43 minutes ago, Grant said:

I'm just a bit tired with the constant "When so and so comes back it'll be huge", and well, we've had players coming back all season and it's not really making a massive difference. The latest player is Kane, a player we didn't sign until the 13th of February but apparently our attack now can't function without him. Does that mean that even if we did have a fully fit squad, we still would've been poor for the first half of the season because we didn't have a proper striker? 

Yes, imo.

Even last season we struggled to score at times. We needed a proper striker in the summer and we didn't get one, instead we brought in hard working players like Jakubiak who, IMO is just an older version of Lewis McCann, hard worker but scores about 1 goal every ten games at best. 

44 minutes ago, the saline hill puma said:

Yes, imo.

Even last season we struggled to score at times. We needed a proper striker in the summer and we didn't get one, instead we brought in hard working players like Jakubiak who, IMO is just an older version of Lewis McCann, hard worker but scores about 1 goal every ten games at best. 

Sorry, but you can't compare McCann and Jakubiak on anything but goals return. He brings way more to the team in terms of hold up play, link up play, knowing where to run for himself, knowing where to run to create space for others and general ability to play the game than McCann does. It's not even close.

56 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

Just frustrated as I (perhaps wrongly) think it's part of the reason we're stuffed going forward. 

|Going back to a 4 has completely hamstrung our two full backs since we've done it. It's been the pay-off for a slightly more solid defence in terms of stopping teams getting in behind. 

• Upvote 1

I don't see this game being another 0-0, but I don't think we'll lose if we score the first goal. It would give the team a great confidence boost and  United might start to wobble as they must be feeling the pressure with the Rovers breathing down their necks..... 😀

Back 4 or back 3 isn't the main issue. Pars have scored 30 goals in 28 games, only Airdrie and Arbroath, both with 28 goals from 27 games are worse. Defensively, apart from the 0-5 mauling by Morton, Pars have been better than most in the division. We need to create more chances and score more goals.

• Upvote 1