Faissal El Bakhtaoui

El Patrón

The argument appears to be that it is speculate to accumulate? 

Doing that is what got us into bother in the first place. That is specifically not what we are going to do.

El Patron also makes a good point about Fais being untested at a higher level.

I've been saying this for months, on here and dotnet. He is still a risk for any club above this level as he has only had one good season so far. He has absolutely improved ten fold this year but AJ and Sandy Clark are the main reasons behind that IMO, and there is no evidence that he could continue this seasons form for anyone else, especially at a higher level. If he stays, I'll be delighted. If he goes, I won't lose any sleep over it unless it's to another Championship team, and I'll be absolutely raging if we were to pay him an outrageous wage like £2k a week. Which we won't.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just read that thread on dotnet, jesus h christ, have the men in black been round and asked everyone to look into their wee red light!? We nearly DIED, and it happened because we had a chairman and board who were speculating wildly on stupidly high crowds and TV income that never appeared. What planet are some people living on that says it's ok to offer a player £2k a week? 

Some of the laughable justifications for doing so beggar belief. We can't, shouldn't and won't ever get into that mess again. Like Deadpool says, if we do, I'd be asking some pretty serious questions of the judgement on the board. I'm 100% confident though, that Ross McArthur and the rest of the board are infinitely more sensible that some of the absolute roasters we have in our support.

I've just read that thread on dotnet, jesus h christ, have the men in black been round and asked everyone to look into their wee red light!? We nearly DIED, and it happened because we had a chairman and board who were speculating wildly on stupidly high crowds and TV income that never appeared. What planet are some people living on that says it's ok to offer a player £2k a week? 

Some of the laughable justifications for doing so beggar belief. We can't, shouldn't and won't ever get into that mess again. Like Deadpool says, if we do, I'd be asking some pretty serious questions of the judgement on the board. I'm 100% confident though, that Ross McArthur and the rest of the board are infinitely more sensible that some of the absolute roasters we have in our support.

It is totally unbelievable that some people think offering him £2k a week to stay in the hope that we can command a transfer fee is a plausible idea? I worry about these people and how they can navigate through life with such utterly delusional attitudes. There are some absolute roasters within our support. No grasp of reality.

I'd be disappointed if we couldn't pay our players between £750 and £1K per week whilst we were in the Championship along with teams like Raith, Falkirk, Dundee Utd and Hibs

You're obviously on the wind up

To be fair, if we're paying £400-£500pw now, which I believe is our top end, then with added income from being in the championship with higher gates and higher prize and TV money, it's not that much of a stretch to suggest there might be a couple/few players earning a bit more next season. I'd be amazed that, even being prudent, AJ's budget doesn't increase at least slightly for the right players. 

Having said that, The players earning £500pw now, are probably the ones who dropped down from the Championship anyway I'd guess(?)

To suggest we pay players £1k per week is ludicrous. Even £750 a week is really stretching it if you just think about the maths. We need to be breaking even, and a few improved away gates won't negate operating losses should be rack them up. People are banking on certain teams bringing through a big support, but it's not guaranteed. Did you see how many fans Hibs took to Starks for the Alba game a few weeks ago? Mind when we played Falkirk midweek just after going administration? The away support then was only about 500/600.

I'd be delighted if we could afford to pay anyone £2K a week (£100,000 a year!)........the board would be miracle workers.

Since I'm not delusional I reckon we might stretch to somewhere between £750-£1000 for a couple of players. Much more likely a decent basic with win/ scoring/ assist bonuses.

First of all Fais has contributed to the team effort that won the league. Yeah he scored a lot of goals but he also disappeared in a lot of games.

He should have been hooked in fact in some games.

He's come on in each season he's been here. Which is just as well given his positional sense is still suspect at times, he can also be petulant and makes too many unnecessary runs during games. He's still very much the unfinished article.

So in summary he doesn't deserve £2k a week and other players are also deserving of praise, not just Fais. Do we pay others £2k a week as well?

Without being disrespectful too much to anyone who thinks we're in a position to pay those type of wages, you need a reality check. Honestly I can't see how anyone thinks we can.

The club are more than than prudent enough not to take us back to the edge of the abyss we were staring into not so long ago.

No player is worth getting us into trouble financially. Not even the wee Moroccan ace.

Archived