Scotland Euro chances.

scottyboy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

Be a tall order getting through the group now. 

Given the expanded tournament and knock out berths for third place teams, a last gasp disappointment is still very much on the cards, even after the inevitable humiliation at Wembley.

Not having Sky I really havent seen much of Scotland over the last 5 years but that was an eye opener -are we usually that ****e?  McGinn, McTominay, ODonnell and Armstrong were all woeful. Christie was anonymous until he went off. Until the substitutions I would only give Robertson anything like pass marks. The fact that so many were off the pace suggests to me the tactics and approach were all wrong.  We looked OK for first 10 mins but they played a three  man high press and our backline couldnt cope with it. Resorting to throw high balls to Dykes who didnt win a header all game, just utterly pathetic stuff. Dont think I will bother watching the England game ,will be too painful. 

40 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Not having Sky I really havent seen much of Scotland over the last 5 years but that was an eye opener -are we usually that ****e?  McGinn, McTominay, ODonnell and Armstrong were all woeful. Christie was anonymous until he went off. Until the substitutions I would only give Robertson anything like pass marks. The fact that so many were off the pace suggests to me the tactics and approach were all wrong.  We looked OK for first 10 mins but they played a three  man high press and our backline couldnt cope with it. Resorting to throw high balls to Dykes who didnt win a header all game, just utterly pathetic stuff. Dont think I will bother watching the England game ,will be too painful. 

Pretty much yes. It was at lot worse with McLeish tho.

I went to the game yesterday and I was pessimistic before it started. Weirdly some folk were of the the opinion we were going to roast the Czechs. I always thought they were marginal favourites tbh. Going into it I felt if we got the breaks/took our chances we could win but I knew the Czechs would still have some chances too. After driving back and then going to the boozer after the game the delusion was still prevelant. "Clarke ****ed it", "Patterson and Gilmour should have started and we would of won". Two lads that have about 10 appearances between them, maybe the would have made a difference, maybe not. But the game either way would have still been a knife edge. Personally I would have played Forrest at fullback and Adams, would have that made a difference, who knows.

What I will say is none of our strikers would have scored the two goals the Czech boy scored yesterday. And there's your difference in a game that was all about fine margins.

Cant really disagree with a lot of that. We had opportunities to score and in open play we were the better side. Disappointed that despite the threat from set plays we never properly defended the 2nd phase and left our selves open to more crosses to come in to which we were vulnerable. Cant blame Hendry for the 2nd, but Marshall was far to high up the pitch. Both Czech goals were superb.  

On 15/06/2021 at 17:39, Superally said:

Cant really disagree with a lot of that. We had opportunities to score and in open play we were the better side. Disappointed that despite the threat from set plays we never properly defended the 2nd phase and left our selves open to more crosses to come in to which we were vulnerable. Cant blame Hendry for the 2nd, but Marshall was far to high up the pitch. Both Czech goals were superb.  

I do blame Henry for the second tbh (jointly with Marshall, I mean). There was a far better option out to his right, and he was way too far out for a shot, especially given that there was noone behind him if his shot was blocked.

I mean, ok, if it's the last minute and we're desperate then sure, have a ping, but with just under half the game to go, it was IMO a moment of needless bravado that, along with Marshall's bizarre positioning, has already pretty much cost us any chance of getting through.

20 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

I do blame Henry for the second tbh (jointly with Marshall, I mean). There was a far better option out to his right, and he was way too far out for a shot, especially given that there was noone behind him if his shot was blocked.

I mean, ok, if it's the last minute and we're desperate then sure, have a ping, but with just under half the game to go, it was IMO a moment of needless bravado that, along with Marshall's bizarre positioning, has already pretty much cost us any chance of getting through.

Far be it for me to disagree with my esteemed colleague, but I think Henry saw his option on the right and thought that it was pointless sliding the ball out there - figuring the better option was to punt the ball goalwards and hope for the best.  More chance of it battering off someone and ballooning into the net than O'Donnell finding a blue shirt with a cross.

Watching him play wing-back at the Euros is akin to playing me out there for the Pars in a League Cup tie. 

5 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Far be it for me to disagree with my esteemed colleague, but I think Henry saw his option on the right and thought that it was pointless sliding the ball out there - figuring the better option was to punt the ball goalwards and hope for the best.  More chance of it battering off someone and ballooning into the net than O'Donnell finding a blue shirt with a cross.

Watching him play wing-back at the Euros is akin to playing me out there for the Pars in a League Cup tie. 

Ah, now, I must admit that I didn't consider that it was O'Donnell, and your point has some merit. Nonetheless, I do think an empirical analysis of the real world outcome however, would still tend to support my hypothesis that nothing the man I now know to have been O'Donnell could have done would have been worse than what actually happened.

3 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Didn't take long for the Tartan Army to disgrace themselves. Already a video circulating of some scumbag in a kilt exposing himself while children are playing in a park 10 yards away. 

Hyde park completely covered in litter and a scotland fan causing an RTA in his drunken state. Could've killed someone ffs. What is wrong with these scumbags?

12 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Hyde park completely covered in litter and a scotland fan causing an RTA in his drunken state. Could've killed someone ffs. What is wrong with these scumbags?

But at least we're not throwing patio chairs 

Archived