Squad For Next Season

Grant

With the managerial situation now sorted focus can now be turned onto the squad, currently for next season we have under contract - 

Mehmet
Comrie
MacDonald
Todd
Breen
Edwards
Fenton
Chalmers 
Dorrans
Allan
McCann
O’Hara
Todorov
Wighton

Pybus & Cole have the option of a further year (unsure if this will be on the players, of the clubs side?)

Anyone not listed is out of contract and free to speak to another club. It's actually a fairly large number of players under contract, and with a reduction of budget we won't see much movement unless some players are shifted, paying off contracts is a pretty costly business so that then limits it down to players that other clubs are willing to take off your hands.

Now if football worked like a game how would you try and shape the squad?

Goalkeeper

Keep - Mehmet -Already under contract and on a fairly sizeable contract (apparently) theres little to no chance of anyone coming in for him, I thought he done OK when he stepped in against Inverness when Jakub was away so will get another chance. Worry is that he seemed to be injured a few times? and so a backup goalkeeper might be needed, I'm unsure as to who the youth keeper is so a cheap and cheerful backup would be ideal, I did wonder if Cammy Gill might fancy coming back as backup but he's away to Arbroath.

Need - 1 x Backup

Right Back

Keep - Todd (1st choice), MacDonald (backup) - Todd done well at the end of the last season, happily keep him as first choice, MacDonald should be a more than able deputy.

Move on - Comrie - Absolutely nothing against Comrie, cracking player, however he's one of the few players that we could find a suitor for in the championship and could help free up a wage for another part of the team, Todd done v well when he came in so would be good to develop one of our youths.

Centre Back

Keep - Breen (Starter), Martin (Offer contract, backup?) - I seem to think more of Breen than most but I reckon there's a player there, a season down a tier might help him come on, I'd love to get Donaldson back but I can't see him dropping so low, Martin would be one of the few I'd offer a contract too, I thought him and Donaldson were actually striking up a decent partnership and he's also got the bonus of covering the back four and cdm, also a testimonial year?

Need - 1/2 Bodies

Left Back 

Keep - Edwards (1st choice), Fenton (backup) - Edwards seemed to really come onto a game, no problems with him being the starter, Fenton done well enough with East Fife at this level apparently so should be able backup?

Wingers

Keep - Dow (offer contract) - I appreciate he didn't look as good but he still had flashes where he showed he's still got something about him, a full pre season will do him the world of good and he can perform well as a right midfielder, was previously a vice captain so might be a good guy to have around?

Need - 2 more.

Centre Mid

Keep - Chalmers, Dorrans, Allan, Pybus (offer extension) - We're pretty set here, truthfully I wouldn't be adverse to Chalmers and Dorrans going but there's little chance of anyone taking on there wages, hopefully the drop down in level will help. McPake played four centre mids at times for Dundee in a sort off 4312, might we see the same here? Dorrans is apparently good friends with McPake, he might step up into more of a coaching role?

Strikers

Keep - Wighton, O'Hara, McCann - McPake had previously played with Wighton so hopefully he can get the most out of him, however he's probably one of our higher earners and a player that could attract interest from the championship, McPake might want the wage room? 

Move on - Todorov - Nothing against him, but McCann will fulfil the targat man type roll and having both is overkill, Todorov should be able to get a club in the championship no bother really, good luck to him.

That would leave me with a wish list of 

1x Goalkeeper - 2x Centre backs - 2x Wingers

McPake might well want to wheel and deal more right enough and all power to him, allot will be dependent on what formation and style he's going for and whether he believes we've got the players already here to achieve it. I still don't believe that we've quite got the right mix in centre midfield. In a standard 442 we'd be left with

Mehmet

Todd - New Cb- Breen - Edwards

Dow - Pybus - Chalmers - New LW

Wighton - O'Hara

Subs - New Gk, MacDonald, Martin, New Winger, New Winger, Dorrans, O'Hara

Reserve - Fenton

Tl;dr - I don't expect wholesale changes to the squad.

Looking at who we have tied down already, I agree with the areas identified. I would probably add an attacking midfielder. All out midfield options are a bit 5 yard pass type guys and Pybus the only one that can tackle effectively. We could do with having a better mix of midfield options but probably need to lose a couple of tied down players to make way.

In terms of players to bring in, I have always liked the right midfielder Josh Mullin. That may well be unrealistic but he seems like a player that's stagnated a wee bit.

Dow hasnt kicked a ball for 18 months , would not offer him a new deal. Problem last season was a lack of attacking threat, creativity and pace across the midfield.I would be inclined to offer Pybus a deal and off load Chalmers if possible , bringing in one or two attacking midfielders. Also with Thomas , Dow and Lawless away the squad lacks width so two wingers are a must. 

Agree Donaldson would be great but cant see it happening.So at least on centre back required, perhaps give Martin a pay per play deal to prove ongoing fitness. 

If we create chances our forwards will score. I agree with your thinking that Todorov might have to be cut loose for the greater good and budget. Feel for the guy, his time at EEP cant have been enjoyable for him. 

from that list:

Mehmet - keep as back up
Comrie - keep, best right back and hopefully new manager will get him back to his best
MacDonald - keep, done well at this level
Todd - punt - not good enough.
Breen - 3rd/4th choice centre half 
Edwards - keep, decent left back
Fenton - loan out to get some football in L2
Chalmers - offer him to anyone who will take him
Dorrans - good player but been hopeless for us,  hopefully be gone
Allan - not good enough, get rid
McCann - 3rd of 4th choice striker
O’Hara - keep, should get goals 
Todorov - keep 
Wighton - keep

1 year options for pybus and cole shouldn't be taken up

5 minutes ago, the saline hill puma said:

from that list:

Mehmet - keep as back up
Comrie - keep, best right back and hopefully new manager will get him back to his best
Todorov - keep 
Wighton - keep

Extremely harsh on Todd 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the saline hill puma said:

from that list:

Mehmet - keep as back up
Todorov - keep 
Wighton - keep

Todd was by far our best right back last season. 

• Upvote 1

Todd worked very hard at the right back role and you can't fault him in the effort he put in. I personally think he's fairly limited ability wise though. He gives the ball away quite a bit and I think we have better players ahead of him in that position.

I know some will say he's young and will develop but I've seen the same said about guys like Ryan Thomson, Paul Willis etc. I just can't see the ability there that will develop to any great degree.

League 1 might give Allan, Todd and McCann a better environment to shine and show that they can establish themselves in the first team. Hope they do but got my doubts.

Following the same format as Grant:

Goalkeepers

Mehmet
Vacancy 1

Mehmet had a pretty horrible start with the club but not convinced he’s a bad keeper and can do a job for us in League One.

Right Backs

Comrie
MacDonald
Todd

This is the position I’m struggling with the most and would argue to keep the three of them.

Todd is a definite, played really well and bedding in our youth is our strategy.

MacDonald in League One, with his crossing ability when he’s on form, can really cause some opposition problems.

Comrie, not as attack minded as the other two but solid, dependable and experienced, was always first name on the team sheet for me season before last.

So whilst it won’t happen, that’s what I’d do.

Left Backs

Edwards
Fenton

I’m not as sold on Edwards to be honest season before last thought he was excellent but last season patchy.

I know very little about Fenton but believe he has a bit of promise and if we’re going for developing our youth then he should be back-up.

Would be tempted to have Vacancy 2 here but with Edwards contracted think will stick.

Centre Backs

Vacancy 2
Vacancy 3
Vacancy 4

I’m not a fan of Breen and Martin I think will fall into the same trap as Williamson and not be as he was pre injury. 

Agree with Saline that Breen would be 3rd/4th choice for me.

Wingers

I like Dow, but if you were to decide purely on last season we wouldn’t offer him a contract, and I’m going to stick with that.

Vacancy 5
Vacancy 6

Midfield

Pybus (offer contract)
Chalmers
Dorrans
Allan
Vacancy 7

Pybus proved a lot of people wrong for me and done well. Chalmers will be ok and think Allan should be on the bench.

I think Dorrans on a 2yr deal was a bit of a mistake now we are where we are, in this division good opportunity to bring someone else in and he can start his coaching and chip in and play when needed.

Forward

O’Hara
Todorov
Wighton
McCann

I’d keep them all if we could but keeping them all happy would be difficult. McCann will continue to play more again with the youth factor. O’Hara should bang in the goals.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we let Todorov and Wighton go though. Both not getting much of a look in last season so a Vacancy 8 potentially

Mehmet - Keep
Comrie - Keep
MacDonald - Keep
Todd - Keep as backup
Breen - Not bothered
Edwards - Keep as backup, but replace in first XI
Fenton - Not bothered
Chalmers - Not bothered
Dorrans - Not bothered
Allan - Not bothered
McCann - Keep
O’Hara - Keep
Todorov - Not bothered
Wighton - Keep

Pybus - Keep
Cole - Not bothered

If Pybus isn’t contracted with us I’ve changed my mind already, I think if we have Chalmers and Dorrans we would have three players that can play essentially the defensive midfield role if needed so regretfully I wouldn’t offer Pybus a contract and go for someone a bit more on the front foot.

Shame I’d have Pybus over Chalmers.