Update from Cook

Grant

The point about winning games was also made by James McPake. I think both he and David Cook were implying that losing games had almost become a habit. It's an inevitable consequence of a squad whose confidence and morale is completely shot. I keep coming back to John Hughes. If even a quarter of the allegations in circulation when he was in charge are true, he really fekked us up. A number of players were bluntly told he didn't rate them in very "colourful" language. This in turn, upset other players in the squad who were pally with those being continually slagged off. Result? A demoralised squad.

If you think you can win - you might. If you think you'll lose - you've lost.

A better man manager than Hughes would have got the best from his squad by adopting tactics and formations that would have made the most of the talents and strengths they did have. 

Peter Grant's claims that we would be champions were wildly optimistic but with the additions Hughes made in January, he should have been able to secure survival.

It's interesting to note that Nottingham Forest also changed their manager after a dismal start to the season in which they gained 1 pt out of a possible 21. 

4 hours ago, Digs said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. He was acknowledging that IMO but was being really diplomatic in not saying it. 

On your last sentence, I know what you mean, I thought the same as soon as he said it but he followed that up immediately by saying they spoke to 4 candidates from a shortlist. 

Ah fair one, I've misread that, apologies. 

I just hope we've appointed McPake over the other three for good reasons and not because he could humour our board longer than the rest. 

27 minutes ago, Superally said:

Thought the statement was decent, I think it acknowledged the position we were in and grounded expectations. No talk of winning the league, just winning games consistently   

To be clear though, the aim has to be winning the league/promotion? 

1 hour ago, Grant said:

I would agree with that Grant, however I don't think they would want to go down the PG route of "we are going to win the league" with hugely raised expectation and ultimately setting us up to fail. Winning more games that we lose will put us in a positive position. Attracting the type of players we need to make us competitive in this league is going to be a significant challenge. Hard work ahead so his statement I think sets the tone

7 minutes ago, Superally said:

I would agree with that Grant, however I don't think they would want to go down the PG route of "we are going to win the league" with hugely raised expectation and ultimately setting us up to fail. Winning more games that we lose will put us in a positive position. Attracting the type of players we need to make us competitive in this league is going to be a significant challenge. Hard work ahead so his statement I think sets the tone

PG set us up to fail by being utterly useless.  Aiming for promotion last year with a possible title fight was a perfectly acceptable target,  it’s what he did to achieve that which was completely wrong.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Ah fair one, I've misread that, apologies. 

I just hope we've appointed McPake over the other three for good reasons and not because he could humour our board longer than the rest. 

That can be the aim without specifying it. Eases the pressure slightly by making no public pronouncements a la Peter Grant.

Eta. Just seen that PFL has made exactly the same point. Great minds, eh? 😉

Edited by GG Riva

44 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

That can be the aim without specifying it. Eases the pressure slightly by making no public pronouncements a la Peter Grant.

Eta. Just seen that PFL has made exactly the same point. Great minds, eh? 😉

I'm not sure if it eases the pressure that much, if we're struggling along in the league there's going to be unrest. While the board aren't specifying it the fanbase will expect us to be right up the top end of the table. 

Going to be a frought with tension this season, I have a pretty awful feeling that Falkirk are winning the league. There's always the playoffs I suppose. 

Big ask for Mcpake to get a squad together and instantly expect success. Might even take another season after the **** that’s signed up can all be released. Patience very much required for this season. Just hope we don’t see the usual manager out stuff if we don’t start well

30 minutes ago, Grant said:

I'm not sure if it eases the pressure that much, if we're struggling along in the league there's going to be unrest. While the board aren't specifying it the fanbase will expect us to be right up the top end of the table. 

Going to be a frought with tension this season, I have a pretty awful feeling that Falkirk are winning the league. There's always the playoffs I suppose. 

Agreed.  There’s going to be a hell of a lot of pressure coming this season that the players are going to need to rise too, there’s nothing that’s changing that .

Edited by parsforlife
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kelty_par said:

Big ask for Mcpake to get a squad together and instantly expect success. Might even take another season after the **** that’s signed up can all be released. Patience very much required for this season. Just hope we don’t see the usual manager out stuff if we don’t start well

Why? If we're Peter Granting this division do we just cling on? 

The squad that's signed up isn't all that ****, with some wise recruitment there's absolutely no reason why promotion shouldn't be the aim. 

Mehmet

Todd-New Cb-Breen-Edwards

New Rm-Chalmers/Dorrans-New Cm-New LM

Wighton-O'Hara

Subs - McDonald, Fenton, Chalmers/Dorrans, Allan, McCann

Isn't all bad for league one at all, certainly there's enough free play in the squad for McPake to put his stamp on things, and surely if you fancy yourself as a coach you beleive you can get the likes of Mehmet, Breen, Chalmers and Wighton firing again? These are players who have looked very good at championship level, why is it we sign players and they turn to ****? I'd like a manager that could actually improve players, that'd be nice. Crawford actually brought players on in fairness, he just fell short in other aspects. 

Edited by Grant
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kelty_par said:

I can't agree with that, KP.  AJ absolutely skooshed League 1 with both the Pars and QOS. Maybe McPake should give him a phone and get a few tips? 🙂

I reckon we'll flirt around the Play Off places most of the season. It'll all come down to players who want to be winners, pushed on by a manager who sets us up ro win. It sure looking like it'll be a tight division. I hope McPake gets rid of more players. Entertaining football is a must, to get fans excited again. 

52 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

We're in League 1. There's no scenario where not achieving promotion can be deemed as anything other than failure.

But, is there not any non-scenario where not failing to not successfully fail to get promoted is not deemed as anything other than not a successful failure?

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

I can't agree with that, KP.  AJ absolutely skooshed League 1 with both the Pars and QOS. Maybe McPake should give him a phone and get a few tips? 🙂

If Mcpake is stuck with guys he doesn’t want in the squad, what’s he meant to do? Sorry but I can’t buy into that some of our players are actually good enough, Rhys breen wouldn’t get a game at junior level he’s hopeless. He’s not the only one btw. It took McIntyre a couple seasons to get his own team as he was saddled with players on big contracts and couldn’t get rid