Update from Cook

Grant

Don’t think he’s said a lot here.

However I like the tone and things like this are good for overall fan engagement  that has been sadly lacking for a while.

Possibly some form of PTSD but the moment where he mentions how he sat down for a chat with McPake and it ended up becoming a 4 hour conversation triggered me given McArthur singing grants praises with a similar statement a year ago.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Possibly some form of PTSD but the moment where he mentions how he sat down for a chat with McPake and it ended up becoming a 4 hour conversation triggered me given McArthur singing grants praises with a similar statement a year ago.

Aye that immediately shat me up, just worried me that we'd been taken in by the manager who could spin the best yarn. 

1 hour ago, Tartan Army Par said:

Think the point is the chairman has been fairly quiet since coming to the club and saying something is better than nothing.

This is how I see it.

We've had a fair bit of communication over the last couple of weeks which is better than listening to us fans making things up. 

Could be doing with more detail in the coming weeks, but for now a high level overview is good enough for me personally. 

• Upvote 4

He said what needed to be said. I don't see any point in filling folks heads with hope by teasing that we're going to do this and that. It's about showing everyone they recognise the situation we are in, what got us here and that they know what they need to do to rectify it. 

The fact he laboured the point about not winning football matches does seem an obvious one, but I think it is a key point that needs to be made. He's basically saying they know all too well that that since we beat Hearts in the league 2-1 at EEP, we have won only 17 games of football. In two whole seasons, we have won 25 in both League and Cup combined. That's why we are here and the every choice they make from now on needs to go towards rectifying that because the more decisions they get right behind the scenes, the more likely that will change on the park. He's basically saying this isn't just the fault of the manager, the board got it way wrong and they are trying to fix it. It's accepting responsibility.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Digs said:

more decisions they get right behind the scenes, the more likely that will change on the park. He's basically saying this isn't just the fault of the manager, the board got it way wrong and they are trying to fix it. It's accepting responsibility.

Is this true though? I got the impression that we were a fairly well run club, we post profits more often than not now, we had last season a board who were massive Pars fans and cared deeply about the club. In turn we were then able to give the manager a decent Wedge of cash in both the summer, and winter windows. Which is surely what it means to get it right behind the scenes, to give the manager the best possible budget? 

That though all gets thrown out the window when you appoint poor managers, which then in turns magnifies any, and every deficiency. We could've been the best run club in the division, that goes to **** as soon as you appoint Peter Grant though. 

The board got it wrong because of there managerial appointments, not because they don't generally run the club well and diligently. Time will tell if they have made the same mistakes, although as said earlier, the way they were talking about the process gives me a horrible sense of Deja Vu. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Grant said:

Is this true though? I got the impression that we were a fairly well run club, we post profits more often than not now, we had last season a board who were massive Pars fans and cared deeply about the club. In turn we were then able to give the manager a decent Wedge of cash in both the summer, and winter windows. Which is surely what it means to get it right behind the scenes, to give the manager the best possible budget? 

That though all gets thrown out the window when you appoint poor managers, which then in turns magnifies any, and every deficiency. We could've been the best run club in the division, that goes to **** as soon as you appoint Peter Grant though. 

The board got it wrong because of there managerial appointments, not because they don't generally run the club well and diligently. Time will tell if they have made the same mistakes, although as said earlier, the way they were talking about the process gives me a horrible sense of Deja Vu. 

That's exactly what I'm saying. He was acknowledging that IMO but was being really diplomatic in not saying it. 

On your last sentence, I know what you mean, I thought the same as soon as he said it but he followed that up immediately by saying they spoke to 4 candidates from a shortlist. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Digs said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. He was acknowledging that IMO but was being really diplomatic in not saying it. 

On your last sentence, I know what you mean, I thought the same as soon as he said it but he followed that up immediately by saying they spoke to 4 candidates from a shortlist. 

Yeah, I was very glad about that shortlist comment, otherwise the "We ended up talking for four hours" thing would be a bit worrying, given recent form.

It seems obvious that a football club’s priority should be winning games but I’m glad to hear both the Chairman and the Manager emphasise this point as we haven’t won nearly enough games over the past 18 months.

We could be the best run club in Scotland but that doesn’t matter if we can’t win. Appointing Peter Grant as manager was a self destructive act and I’ll never understand why the board thought it was a good idea but we have to move forward now and to focus on something me short term success on the park is a good way to do this.

• Upvote 1