Chris Mochrie

Digs

43 minutes ago, Grant said:

Didn't make myself clear, I was meaning that while it's not good news, we've lost far bigger players. 

Where do you play him and who do you sacrifice for him in our strongest XI? 

He simply doesn't get in mine. He's not got a nailed down position, for the most part we've given him free reign to go wherever he wants and try anything, in that system he really is the main man for us going forward. And yet for the majority of the season we have looked absolutely insipid going forward, and I think it's at McPakes insistance that we have to fit Mochrie in. 

Now, he as of yet hasn't shown enough as a goal threat, or as a link player to say he should be starting as a strike partner or anything like that, so you're playing him as a ten. As I've said before we don't have any players capable of playing that lone striker role, so that means we should be playing with two strikers, that could be a 41212, I've not seen us play that, not sure it'd work. 

So it'll be the 5212, our two centre mids are going to be Todd and Chalmers, that means we're putting the defensive burden on Chalmers, which is a waste. Mochrie as shown will give absolutely hee haw defensive support. We also aren't playing Hamilton, who helps free up Chalmers and Todd. 

The only way Mochrie is in our strongest starting eleven is if we play with a lopsided 442 IMO, and McPake isn't going to play that. The best we've looked going forward all season was in the Arbroath game, and logically the lineup made sense. Without Mochrie we allowed Wighton, Todorov, Todd, Chalmers and Hamilton to play in there best roles and positions. If you have Mochrie you are then straight away curtailing Wighton and Todd, you then also inevitably ask Chalmers to play more defensively because we aren't playing Hamilton... 

He's an extremely talented football player, but he's got a whole host of improving to do if he ever wants to play in the Prem. 

Not sure i agree with that , We got to 7 pts clear at the top with Mochrie pretty much starting everygame this season apart from 2 or 3.

Saying he does heehaw defensively is a bit harsh for example against Falkirk he dug in and did his share and was even singled out by Mcpake after the game.

you basing a lot of your theories on a that game against Arbroath who are having a nightmare of a season and put out a fringe squad that night.

i'm not saying it wasnt a good performance but i'd need to see it in the league before I endorsed it.

I think Mcpake see's Mochrie as our best footballer so I dont see him dropping out anytme soon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Grant said:

He's an extremely talented football player, but he's got a whole host of improving to do if he ever wants to play in the Prem. 

I was thinking earlier that he is probably similar to paul mcmullan(not completely with mcmullan playing naturally wider) who went to stenny at the same age as mochrie is now and did brilliantly,  but his further loans to st mirren and morton as he tried to step up didn't go as smoothly and it took a good spell with us to convince dundee united to get a deal and earn promotion to the premiership with, but he's struggled to be a regular at that level year in year out and ended up being relegated with dundee and not exactly been scrambled for by the prem clubs.  He may well end up at that level again as he approaches his peak, but at 26 top end championship or lower prem is the best he'll likely get.  

Mochrie of course has plenty of time to make a better career than that, not that mcmullan's is anything to be ashamed about,   but I think for his overall career his next 2/3 moves are crucial.

1 hour ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I'd play Mochrie as a 2nd striker with Wighton - to give the brief answer.

Do that and you take away Wightons best attributes, IMO. 

What I would say, is that Mochrie probably would be better suited to a different team and system tbh, with the players we have I don't think he compliments the majority of our players, or the system we've been set up to play. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Is there much more "football" played by teams in the Championship? I'd be surprised if we rock up to Firhill in January and encounter the Maryhill version of van Gaal's Ajax from the mid-90s.

Indeed, much more likely to see the Maryhill version of MacDonald’s Airdrie from the mid-90’s.  Just got to hope it’s the one minus the big eared striker.

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Another week and game, where IMO it shows that Mochrie shouldn't be in our starting eleven. Talented footballer he most certainly is, but that's not everything. 

I don't think he works for us at all, as you say he's a great talent. Chalmers provides more creativity for me.

Hamilton and him are a must for me and then one of the other two. Haven't saw much of RH from any games iv saw. 

• 2 weeks later...