Supporters Group Meeting

Grant

With the announcement of a new contract for McPake and McKay it was mentioned there was a quarterly meeting with supporter representatives. 

Now, there's every chance I've missed something in regards to this having only recently moved back to the area, but who are they? How does one become a representative of the supporters? 

The first I'd heard of such a meeting was the one earlier in the season when a poster (Apologies can't remember what one) posted up a very nice report. On it there was some cool details about what Cook and McPake talked about, I thought at the time it was information and a presentation that would later be given at the supporters council meeting. However having attended that the level of detail seemed absolutely miles off. 

I appreciate this may come across as petty, but why is there a tier system within the fans? What need is there for a meeting with representatives, when we have supporters council meetings? 

Due to not being affiliated to any support groups? I don't think I had a representative at this meeting, so how would I go about finding out what was discussed? 

Funny you should ask, I'm just home and I'm about to crack open a beer and write up what was said...

It's not a supporters representatives meeting per se. It's representatives of Supporters groups, ie this website, dotnet, supporters busses from Rosyth Supporters and Tappies, the Heritage trust, the centenary club, the business club, the disabled supporters club etc. It's not a closed shop by any means, but the idea is that as many groups as possible from a diverse range of groups can attend and then they will hopefully disseminate the info to their members.

I should apologise though in that I completely forgot to put a post up asking if anyone had any questions like i did last time, that was my bad, I've just been busy and I forgot being honest but I will try and make sure I do that moving forward.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Digs said:

Funny you should ask, I'm just home and I'm about to crack open a beer and write up what was said...

It's not a supporters representatives meeting per se. It's representatives of Supporters groups, ie this website, dotnet, supporters busses from Rosyth Supporters and Tappies, the Heritage trust, the centenary club, the business club, the disabled supporters club etc. It's not a closed shop by any means, but the idea is that as many groups as possible from a diverse range of groups can attend and then they will hopefully disseminate the info to their members.

I should apologise though in that I completely forgot to put a post up asking if anyone had any questions like i did last time, that was my bad, I've just been busy and I forgot being honest but I will try and make sure I do that moving forward.

I don't blame you for not putting up a post, I don't look at dot net anymore however I've just had a brief check and couldn't see anything mentioned on there either. However likewise there's nothing on the Cows, nothing on twitter/puss book etc. From the Pars fans I know and talk to on the regular, no one had any idea it was occurring either. I just don't see why we have this if we have the supporters council meeting, which is surely the best way to disseminate that information by letting those who can, attend? 

As it is though there does seem to be a pretty big difference in the meetings, the level of detail seems fascinating at these meetings, whereas at the last supporters council meeting the presentations by Cook and McPake were done within five minutes.

I really appreciate the time you've taken to write up the information though, thank you 👍 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Grant said:

I don't blame you for not putting up a post, I don't look at dot net anymore however I've just had a brief check and couldn't see anything mentioned on there either. However likewise there's nothing on the Cows, nothing on twitter/puss book etc. From the Pars fans I know and talk to on the regular, no one had any idea it was occurring either. I just don't see why we have this if we have the supporters council meeting, which is surely the best way to disseminate that information by letting those who can, attend? 

As it is though there does seem to be a pretty big difference in the meetings, the level of detail seems fascinating at these meetings, whereas at the last supporters council meeting the presentations by Cook and McPake were done within five minutes.

I really appreciate the time you've taken to write up the information though, thank you 👍 

It's more conversational tbh, and I think they use it as well to get info from us and opinions on stuff. For example, talking about the Falkirk game and the pyro etc, I made the point that it was advertised clearly everywhere how there was to be searches on entry. I went in as the gates opened as I couldn't get into Legends and there was already a queue, and no-one in front of me, nor myself, were searched so it was no surprise those items got in. 

DC had no idea that had been the case and so was grateful for the info. 

I think that is what sets it out from the wider meetings. It's also an opportunity for the groups involved to raise things with the club that effect their specific group, which they couldn't do at the supporters council meetings. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Digs said:

Alistair Burr who has joined as the clubs new Commercial Manager whose main responsibility will be to work with DC to maximise revenue streams for the club with a focus on cost and capitalising on commercial opportunities. DC remarked that when he first started supporting the Pars we were a town of 40k and now we are a city of over 60k with the West of Fife now expanding that catchment by another 130k yet our crowds have stayed the same so they want to really tap into that market. 

He made the point that relegation this year left us with a £400k loss, and being in League 1 won't improve that much so they need to get as close to breaking even as possible. It's not about the new owners making money, they're not here to make a profit, that are here to invest in the club and it's infrastructure to try and bring success.

He said we have been under real pressure from the SPFL to at least be seen to act on this before it's taken out of the clubs hands. They have been in contact with the club almost daily asking what are you doing about the pyro, what are you doing about the coin throwers, have you caught them yet, have you dealt with them?

thanks digs, sounds like you’ve put a fair amount of effort into passing on this info.

I’ve picked out a few points 

1. a new commercial manager sounds good,  tapping into a increased population is something a lot of clubs have found difficult, but if he can get just a small percentage then that will likely pay his wage at least.

2.  Any suggestion of what a loss we are expecting?  I’m not sure on your statement, does it mean we have tried to absorb the loss of revenue but accept a similar overall loss? or have we been more aggressive and going for break even this season?

3.  I‘m still not sure about the clubs actions here, identifying culprits taking appropriate action great.   But just because the spfl are providing pressure doesn’t mean we can’t stand up to them, the comment about things being taken out of our hands is strange,  the spfl don’t have the authority to do so and you could point to about a dozen club easily who have had similar incidents but not reacted anywhere near as severely. I agree with the overall sentiment of keep the place bouncing but don’t throw stuff tho.

On an extra note, Was any explanation given to why we refused/were unable to sell so many tickets for the Falkirk game despite capacity being available?

On these meetings as a whole.  They seem very positive,  but I do agree with the questioning about why it’s select groups,   To me we are one group,  pars fans and I’m unsure about how, baring when digs has time to take questions etc from here individuals don’t have as much of a voice.   I see quite a few of the groups mentioned are basically supporters buses,  does how you get to a game really change things? 

The way I see it, these sessions seem like part of the communication plan, where subjects can be discussed in a bit more detail with 10-20 folk rather than a forum with 200.   This improves quality of discussion and engagement as long as the forums continue so Q&A can continue.

Appreciate the notes @Digs a good read.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

thanks digs, sounds like you’ve put a fair amount of effort into passing on this info.

I’ve picked out a few points 

1. a new commercial manager sounds good,  tapping into a increased population is something a lot of clubs have found difficult, but if he can get just a small percentage then that will likely pay his wage at least.

2.  Any suggestion of what a loss we are expecting?  I’m not sure on your statement, does it mean we have tried to absorb the loss of revenue but accept a similar overall loss? or have we been more aggressive and going for break even this season?

3.  I‘m still not sure about the clubs actions here, identifying culprits taking appropriate action great.   But just because the spfl are providing pressure doesn’t mean we can’t stand up to them, the comment about things being taken out of our hands is strange,  the spfl don’t have the authority to do so and you could point to about a dozen club easily who have had similar incidents but not reacted anywhere near as severely. I agree with the overall sentiment of keep the place bouncing but don’t throw stuff tho.

On an extra note, Was any explanation given to why we refused/were unable to sell so many tickets for the Falkirk game despite capacity being available?

On these meetings as a whole.  They seem very positive,  but I do agree with the questioning about why it’s select groups,   To me we are one group,  pars fans and I’m unsure about how, baring when digs has time to take questions etc from here individuals don’t have as much of a voice.   I see quite a few of the groups mentioned are basically supporters buses,  does how you get to a game really change things? 

I'll try and answer these as best I can.

No mention of what the expected loss will be, they will have no idea of that until we know for definite what league we'll be in, alongside who, and what sort of season we are likely to have. He never confirmed break even was the goal for this season. I took it to mean that by saying that being in League 1 won't improve that much means they expect something similar again this financial year but getting as close to break even as possible is always the target.

They said that they've been told that it must be dealt with or it would be taken out of our hands ie worst case scenario (albeit with no precedence for this and this is my take, not what was said) they could force stand or ground closures or similar type punishments. Someone made the point that these things happen elsewhere every week and nothing gets done, but DC made the point that just because it's not reported doesn't mean nothing is being done. We're not being singled out in this matter and as he put it, 'no-one is picking on Dunfermline'. 

There was no mention or questions asked about the extra capacity for the Falkirk game, which to be fair, is a good question.

As for the meeting, it's not 'select' groups. We knew about it because Piracy attended as someone who runs a bus, and asked if we could. Drew Main said no problem, and dotnet also got an invite last time (although can't remember if they were there last night, I don't think so). So if you have a group with a vested interest, then you can ask to be invited. It's not a closed shop.

Also, everyone who is on this website was technically there by proxy, ie through me. As I said, I meant to put a post up for things to be asked like I did last time, but I just didn't get round to it, but I will do next time. I would say individual supporters have their meeting which is the supporters council, I think those meetings would be more interesting and informative for everyone if eejits didn't ask stupid questions that everyone already knows the answer to, or ask something likely to embarrass the panel because it can't be answered, taking up time, but that's just me. They are a different dynamic though, as I said, this is specifically for supporters groups to ask things that affect their specific group, like the disabled supporters access, or how their bus has been treated at a certain ground for example, as well as some more general stuff.

As I said, they also use these meetings to get out info they need to like the events planned around the St Pauli game asking for ideas, or to specific individuals. For example, Section NW sometimes attend (not last night though), and there are younger lads who stand there who they were directly appealing to last night to try and help stop the nonsense.

So, it's not a tiered system of fans. No-one is getting special treatment. I'm taking 3 hours out of my night to go and listen, ask questions and take notes then spend an hour posting them, so it's not like I'm going then just keeping it all to myself and drip feeding stuff saying it's from 'a good source'. Come on lads eh.

• Upvote 5

Great report from Digs, many thanks.

As he says, DC and the Board seem to be very keen on communication with the fanbase, and are willing to try out new methods.

Having been involved with the larger Supporters' Council meetings since the start my view is that they never really developed into the proper two-way communication forums (fora?) we had hoped for - instead they became set-piece presentations followed by a few questions that usually didn't add much value (putting it diplomatically!) By the time the pandemic arrived the meetings were so sparsely attended they weren't worth continuing - not many more were turning up than now attend the smaller meetings like last night.

The mood music has now changed, and the dynamic of these smaller informal meetings is dramatically different - with smaller numbers they are far more of a two-way conversation, and everyone - management and fans - leaves better-informed. They are also much more flexible and (within reason to keep the numbers down) it might be possible for a few unaffiliated fans to attend occasionally - contact Drew Main, who organises the event. Remember though that (again to keep numbers down) not every group in the Pars family is represented at every meeting. (The obvious solution for anyone desperate to attend is to join a group!)

But it is up to those who do attend (I wasn't there last night, btw) to feed back information to the members of their groups in whatever way is most appropriate. What Digs has done is excellent.

• Upvote 4