Pars v Annan

Fairly routine,  i guess the biggest moan aside from injuries is that I felt we left goals out on the pitch,  even if you ignore the missed chances which when you have quite a few you kinda expect not to take some but the drop in intensity was frustrating if understandable, between Todd going off and FT we probably played with intent as a team for about 10 minutes of the hour, a period that produced 2 goals, rest of the time I felt it was only really Allan trying to force the issue.   I’m content with 4, it’s 1 more than Killie got but depending on Saturdays result it may lead to us needing to try and set Killie a target for GD against albion rovers.  Of course if we get the win inside 90 on Saturday then we’ll just need a simple win next Tuesday.

On the injuries,  Todd I’m still really concerned about,  I’ve heard it said he’s been to hospital for checks who have confirmed no break but we still have a massive difference between a strain/twist with a few weeks out and a snapped ligament which will end his season before it’s really begun. He apparently heard a snap but so did Breen who played the next game. Fingers massively crossed it’s at the less severe end of that scale.

For me, whilst McCann took a knock a couple of minutes before it was more him cramping up, which he did around a similar time on Saturday, I’m confident it was just the quick turnaround that forced him off on this occasion, I think he’ll be available for the weekend without too much issue.

Quick note that I found it interesting that when Todd was forced off mcpake looked to Tod over Allan. Playing higher up is more suited to tod’s game but Allan has played that more advanced role before,  a vote of confidence that he trusted Tod despite his inexperience, something that was repaid IMO.

Edited by parsforlife

9 hours ago, kelty_par said:

Hearing that Matty has only went over on his ankle and shouldn’t be anything too serious 

Great news if that’s the case but could still be a few weeks out. My daughter sprained her ankle last season and was out for two months. Fingers crossed it’s not as bad as it looked.

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

the drop in intensity was frustrating if understandable, between Todd going off and FT we probably played with intent as a team for about 10 minutes of the hour, a period that produced 2 goals, rest of the time I felt it was only really Allan trying to force the issue.  

I disagree with this part. 

I only posted the good chances. I left out the half chances/lesser opportunities that we also created but I was keeping a rough count in my head and over the course of the game it was over a dozen. If creating over a dozen opportunities in the final third is lacking intensity, I'd hate to see what we'd do to teams when we're on fire.

We did our usual, stayed focussed and held concentration and kept doing what we were doing. We didn't go gung ho, we didn't go chasing anything or forcing anything and that has been a feature of McPake's team since he took over. Forcing it it not a good thing, and often causes you to give the ball away when there is a more sensible option. It leaves gaps and generally causes the opposite of what you want to happen. We stick to, and believe in, the plan and don't deviate, it's the main reason we won so many times last season from a losing position. 

You expect after some subs for there to be a bit of change in tempo until they get into the game, and Annan were fighting to not get an absolute scudding too. I was watching them throughout the second half defensively and at times when we pinned them back further and further, they had 9 men in the box in open play. You can't always play through that but we still managed it more than once, with the 4th goal being a brilliant example. 

Annan were poor, but we played well.

• Upvote 1