It's coming (to the) home (nations)

SanguinePar

Aye, but we still might not even be there having to qualify...although I'm interested to know what this means "...the possibility of host nations missing out on their own tournament. Uefa is expected to draft regulations that will minimise this risk before qualification for the tournament begins in 2026."

6 minutes ago, Digs said:

Aye, but we still might not even be there having to qualify...although I'm interested to know what this means "...the possibility of host nations missing out on their own tournament. Uefa is expected to draft regulations that will minimise this risk before qualification for the tournament begins in 2026."

I think it’s fair enough to not hold back 5 spots, I’d be a bit annoyed if it was another group of countries doing that.

Speculation but I wonder if they will have 1/2 reserved spots for hosts? With those going to the highest place non-qualifier, possibly even decided by play-off.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Speculation but I wonder if they will have 1/2 reserved spots for hosts? With those going to the highest place non-qualifier, possibly even decided by play-off.

Weird, when I read that article earlier it said that almost exactly this would be the case - but that info seems to have gone now. It said 2 reserved spots for the top 2 host nations who don't qualify normally (top 2 in qualifying record I think).

Agree that it seems fair enough, you can't keep 5 spots back. This seems a decent compromise.

1 hour ago, Superally said:

I see the 2030 World Cup is now going to be spread over 6 countries and three continents! Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay    

In the most ****ed up way possible, as it’s not like there basing full groups in one continent or another, just giving the 3 South American countries a home opening group match before bringing everything back to Spain/Portugal/Morocco. 

18 minutes ago, Superally said:

I think this will likely be the format for other major sporting events such as the Olympics and Commonwealth games. There is only a very small handful of countries able to finance a full competition  

We are already seeing a huge squeeze on this, commonwealth is scrambling for its next host and getting nowhere, European games just scrapped through after drawing on additional funding from anywhere they could this summer and no one coming forward to host the next one. 

Hosting big comps have never paid their way in direct economic terms, the only reason anyone takes them on is they think the economic cost is worth the political gain. Whilst multi-country bids may reduce the cost for each, you would suspect it’s not long before having to share the limelight kills interest in multi-country bids too