The Pars v The Arabs

Superally

35 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Issue with consistency is we’ve gone with a really young squad, something known for being on inconsistent,

Not just a young squad, but a thin one. We need signings in the new year, or I genuinely worry that we'll be in the relegation dogfight.

35 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

are we good enough to carry spells of bad form through the season? Time will tell. 

I'd say no, we're not. Injuries are a factor, but we simply don't have a strong enough general group of players to mitigate those injuries.

20 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Issue with consistency is we’ve gone with a really young squad, something known for being on inconsistent, 

We were younger last year and were very consistent, it's not like we're up and down through week to week, and our results actually seem pretty consistent in that we've beaten who you'd think to be the weaker sides (Morton, Queens Park and Airdrie) but haven't done as well against the stronger sides. 

I don't think consistency is the problem, outwith somehow bringing in some solidity to the goalkeeping position and finding a striker who can score in our system I'm not sure how to solve it either. McPake will be trying to figure it out though and he's a bit better qualified to figure it out! 

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2023 at 20:01, Boston Red Sox said:

@Digs I take back what I said last night in Legends after watching the game over again, think I had Chalmers negative specs on after his second half display at Morton. He was ok. 

After I watched it back, I was even more convinced he'd played well, however, I hadn't appreciated at the time it was him who lost Mochrie at the goal. He just got done by a clever bit of movement from Mochrie, and got caught watching the ball a wee bit.He's not solely at fault though, the pass should've never got there in the first place.

On 13/11/2023 at 09:43, Digs said:

After I watched it back, I was even more convinced he'd played well, however, I hadn't appreciated at the time it was him who lost Mochrie at the goal. He just got done by a clever bit of movement from Mochrie, and got caught watching the ball a wee bit.He's not solely at fault though, the pass should've never got there in the first place.

Chalmers was probably one of our best players on thr night. Certainly one of our best players last season. I'm a big fan of his.

On 13/11/2023 at 09:43, Digs said:

Aye, it's not like he leaves Mochrie with a tap in tbf, more blame lies with the keeper there IMO. 

58 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Chalmers was probably one of our best players on thr night. Certainly one of our best players last season. I'm a big fan of his.

Behind me in the Joe Chalmers fan club chief, I want wavy hair too. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Grant said:

Aye, it's not like he leaves Mochrie with a tap in tbf, more blame lies with the keeper there IMO. 

Behind me in the Joe Chalmers fan club chief, I want wavy hair too. 

I'd blame the two closing down Cudjoe most to be honest, that pass shouldn't be getting through there, after they got themselves into a really good position to defend it, but then conceded the space they'd closed down. Not tight enough and getting distracted by runners. Concentrate on the ball. I haven't seen it from an angle that would make me say the keeper had a howler, he gets a hand on it, but not sure how much, so I'm loathe to blame him too much for that reason. 

Rule number one of defending wide is, stop the cross (albeit this was a pass but it had the same effect.) Rule number two if you can't do that is defend the cross, and that is where Chalmers got it wrong. As I said though, it was a great bit of movement from Mochrie, and not enough has been made of that IMO. It would have done better players than Chalmers. 

Rewatched and yes it’s good movement.

Suppose in anything, if the goalkeeper is required to make a save there’s already been errors in front of him. But that’s not a shot that should go in. Its hit with a bit of power but it’s not exactly a rocket and it’s come from a reasonable distance to account for the power and in terms of placement it’s almost exactly where you want it to be going if you’ve got your positioning right(which sharp did). 

His attempt seemed very reactionary, which it’ shouldn’t really be at that distance,  expecting Hamilton to block it maybe? 

it’s not in the same category as his mistakes vs Inverness or Patrick but it’s not something he should be happy with either.

Edited by parsforlife

18 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Rewatched and yes it’s good movement.

Suppose in anything, if the goalkeeper is required to make a save there’s already been errors in front of him. But that’s not a shot that should go in. Its hit with a bit of power but it’s not exactly a rocket and it’s come from a reasonable distance to account for the power and in terms of placement it’s almost exactly where you want it to be going if you’ve got your positioning right(which sharp did). 

His attempt seemed very reactionary, which it’ shouldn’t really be at that distance,  expecting Hamilton to block it maybe? 

it’s not in the same category as his mistakes vs Inverness or Patrick but it’s not something he should be happy with either.

As I said, I'd didn't get enough of a good view of it to be too critical, I'd have liked to see it from behind. It did look a bit poppadom hands to be fair, as he seems to get a good hand on it. It was a good strike but it was also near post too. 

Again though, I think the blame is collective, but I'm yet to be convinced of Sharp in general, given the other previous errors you mentioned.

I think the ball maybe moves in the air just before it gets to Sharp.  He should still keep it out but, as said above, Cudjoe should have been prevented from passing the ball into the box in the first place.  

Onwards and upwards though.  Inverness have picked up in recent weeks but it is potentially better that way round as everyone will be expecting a tough match.  Different type of pressure - and atmosphere - when you are at home to a team of broadly the same standard but who are on a poor run results wise.

40 minutes ago, Digs said:

As I said, I'd didn't get enough of a good view of it to be too critical, I'd have liked to see it from behind. It did look a bit poppadom hands to be fair, as he seems to get a good hand on it. It was a good strike but it was also near post too. 

Again though, I think the blame is collective, but I'm yet to be convinced of Sharp in general, given the other previous errors you mentioned.

Behind the goal is best for judging a goalkeeper tbf