The Pars v Arbroath

Superally

Arbroath seem to struggle in midweek/non-weekend games - plus they are on a bad run.  I found the first half was as dull as everyone else but I felt we were controlling possession quite well, with a view to running over the top of them in the 2nd half.  We did much the same a bunch of times last season against the part-time teams.  Fair play to the side after all the injuries too - being a goal up obviously helped - but they played with lots of freedom despite the loss of KRH, Moffat and Fisher in quick succession and adapted well to the changes.

Anyway, we're now:

P5, W0, D1, L4, GD-6  against the top 3.

P8, W5, D2, L1, GD+8 against the bottom 6.

Fair to say then, we're actually pretty consistent.  The narrative that us sitting 4th is papering over cracks isn't fair either.  We're not as good as the Utd, Rovers and Thistle and haven't yet managed to bridge the gap (unlucky with late goals on a couple of occasions, though). 

Conversely, we are pretty consistent against the array of mediocrity that makes up the rest of the league.  They Ayr game being the exception, but the circumstances were also exceptional given that we hadn't played in 3 weeks. 

• Upvote 3

I don't think we were all that bad in the first half. The sat everyone behind the ball with 6 in the middle at times which made it difficult to play through the lines. As Da-go says, we completely controlled the possession.

My only complaint was that we weren't playing with enough tempo or movement off the ball and were therefore not moving the ball quick enough to create as many gaps as we needed but we came out in the second half and did that and as soon as we scored they collapsed.

The subs made a great impact, even though they were forced, but Wigton played well off the ball as well as on it and his link up play actually made McCann play better than he was in the first half.

I also agree we are in nowhere near as bad situation as some have made out, and when you consider the injuries we've had, we're actually doing OK with the odd poor performance thrown in. Folk need to calm down.

They are the worst Arbroath team I've seen in years though. I said to my mate as soon as we scored and they were heading back to the centre circle, they were already defeated. Slow walk, heads down, nobody even arguing with each other. They are 100% going down if they keep that up.

• Upvote 1

On 29/11/2023 at 14:01, Digs said:

I don't think we were all that bad in the first half. The sat everyone behind the ball with 6 in the middle at times which made it difficult to play through the lines. As Da-go says, we completely controlled the possession.

My only complaint was that we weren't playing with enough tempo or movement off the ball and were therefore not moving the ball quick enough to create as many gaps as we needed but we came out in the second half and did that and as soon as we scored they collapsed.

The subs made a great impact, even though they were forced, but Wigton played well off the ball as well as on it and his link up play actually made McCann play better than he was in the first half.

I also agree we are in nowhere near as bad situation as some have made out, and when you consider the injuries we've had, we're actually doing OK with the odd poor performance thrown in. Folk need to calm down.

They are the worst Arbroath team I've seen in years though. I said to my mate as soon as we scored and they were heading back to the centre circle, they were already defeated. Slow walk, heads down, nobody even arguing with each other. They are 100% going down if they keep that up.

Wighton's movement and the stuff hedoes off the ball is excellent, and goes unnoticed far too often unfortunately... He's the main reason Matty Todd got so many goals last season...

I also think, Todd not playing has had an impact on Wighton's game. Looking forward to a fully fit Todd and Wighton playing soon.

Edited by lambo1885
missing words 🤦
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

13 hours ago, lambo1885 said:

Wighton's movement and the stuff hedoes off the ball is excellent, and goes unnoticed far too often unfortunately... He's the main reason Matty Todd got so many goals last season...

I also think, Todd not playing has had an impact on Wighton's game. Looking forward to a fully fit Todd and Wighton playing soon.

The main problem for Wighton is he is coming deep to get on the ball and linking up phases of attacking play, which he is really good at, but as he has dropped deep it often means that we only a small number  players in the box as no one from midfield seems to go beyond him, hopefully that changes now Todd is back. 

Personally I would rather he was in the box getting on the end of chances as he is a good finisher.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, the saline hill puma said:

The main problem for Wighton is he is coming deep to get on the ball and linking up phases of attacking play, which he is really good at, but as he has dropped deep it often means that we only a small number  players in the box as no one from midfield seems to go beyond him, hopefully that changes now Todd is back. 

Personally I would rather he was in the box getting on the end of chances as he is a good finisher.

Unfortunately that then leaves McCann to do the link up who couldn’t keep up a balloon in a phone box.