The Pars v The Jags

Superally

39 minutes ago, Digs said:

That doesn't really make sense though because his concentration was absolutely tested more last season by not touching the ball for long periods in games and having to make saves, which he did.

To me, for whatever reason, the confident keeper we had last year has been replaced by the one we had in the championship previously whose confidence was in tatters. 

Then it's basic ability. 

Of course, keepers mistakes are often more high profile than most but when they are made more often I'd say its an ability thing. 

Could it be confidence? Maybe but why would it be after 2 solid performances? That doesn't make sense. 

1 minute ago, lambo1885 said:

He could, but if the keeper sometimes come and sometimes stays on his line, that creates uncertainty. If the defenders know he's not coming they know they need to deal with it and can be positioned accordingly. If they know he's coming for it they can get then defend the striker/area and allow the goalie to deal with it.

Surely, it can't be one or the other for every single ball into the box? Any experienced goalkeeper has to be able to call each one as he sees fit, depending on so many variables in every game - far too many to list here. Only thing I would say is, if he shouts that he's coming for it, he absolutely has to get it.

Communicating who is dealing with any particular danger is such a fundamental part of defending we should be able to trust that mehmet can be part of that.

Part of the difficulty is he is making different kind of mistakes, that suggests to me it’s confidence over anything else, if it was the same mistake that’s a more fundamental problem.

I think one of the contributors to that is our lack of goals, and whilst just about every mistake from a goalkeeper will result in a goal, you’re going to be less worried about making one if you can trust someone is going to get a goal back down the other end to make up for it.

If i was his coach, I’d be having a conversation about maybe for a few weeks to play slightly within himself, punch a more crosses, play a few more percentage passes, push a few more shots away etc, just for long enough before he gets back in his grove.

Thats not an easy conversation to have and I would understand if the coaches choose another route, after all they know if far better than me and you don’t want to risk him completely going into his shell

3 hours ago, Digs said:

That is an outdated cliche. The boy next to me was banging on about that as well. Where the cross swung and where the header was made, there was no way that was his ball. He absolutely should have done better with the header though but I agree with Livi par that Edwards defending for it was absolutely honking. Caught wrong side of his man, and does nowhere near enough to put him off. The header was almost right in line with me, facing me, the boy just threw himself at it and hoped for the best, it hit the top of his head FFS. You've got to show more desire there and the manager even mentioned that in his post match comments.

The second goal, you see how he dealt with that, and you want him coming for crosses? I'd rather take our chances with the defenders if he's going to drop an easy catch under absolutely no pressure.

I’d rather just have another goalie who can catch a ball from a simple cross. Watching it back it was Edwards fault but even then the header is right at mehmet and should be doing better. He’s not even played half a season and already cost us 5 goals this season 

2 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Yeah, I know McPake can just select Sharp ahead of Mehmet, but does he want to publicly humiliate his contracted keeper and risk destroying his confidence, as happened under Grant when he wasn't helped by some of the defending in front of him, tbf? The alternative is that McPake takes him aside and tells him that he's still his first choice goalie, to put the last game behind him and go out next week and justify his faith in him. 

I'm quite confident that McPake will go for the latter option. We won't have long to wait too long to find out if my confidence is justified. Had Sharp not been an on loan keeper but a permanent back up to Deniz, I wouldn't be nearly so confident. 

And what happens if he chucks another one in up at Arbroath? Play him again the next week and hope for a different outcome? 

3 hours ago, Digs said:

That doesn't really make sense though because his concentration was absolutely tested more last season by not touching the ball for long periods in games and having to make saves, which he did.

To me, for whatever reason, the confident keeper we had last year has been replaced by the one we had in the championship previously whose confidence was in tatters. 

Which to be fair to Mehmet, he didn’t make many blunders at all last season with Benedictus in front of him.  

1 hour ago, kelty_par said:

And what happens if he chucks another one in up at Arbroath? Play him again the next week and hope for a different outcome? 

And what if he plays Sharp and he chucks one (or two) in?

The manager crosses that bridge when he comes to it. If Mehmet has another poor game the manager has a decision to make for the New Year derby.

I'm 99% certain Mehmet will be between the sticks on Saturday. McPake will stand by his keeper and give him every chance. 

2 hours ago, GG Riva said:

And what if he plays Sharp and he chucks one (or two) in?

The manager crosses that bridge when he comes to it. If Mehmet has another poor game the manager has a decision to make for the New Year derby.

I'm 99% certain Mehmet will be between the sticks on Saturday. McPake will stand by his keeper and give him every chance. 

For me he’s had enough chances. 5 goals this time round so far and gave away about that much the last time he was at this level. For me he’s a good league one goalie, would love to be proved wrong 

11 hours ago, kelty_par said:

I’d rather just have another goalie who can catch a ball from a simple cross. Watching it back it was Edwards fault but even then the header is right at mehmet and should be doing better. He’s not even played half a season and already cost us 5 goals this season 

Far better goalkeepers than Mehmet have struggled with crosses. Some have been capped for Scotland. Alan Rough and the Pars Jim Herriot are just 2 who spring to mind. A goalkeeping mistake usually results in a goal, so it's magnified. You want Mehmet dropped even though you admit Edwards was complicit in the first goal. When a striker misses a sitter, as Jakubiak did, it still costs us a goal. Do you want him dropped, too? If we take that to its logical conclusion, McPake would have to make wholesale changes every week....

8 hours ago, kelty_par said:

Also doesn’t say much for the other 2 if you’re allowed to give goals away and not get a chance. Mcpake said a few times how great sharp is so surely worth another chance 

I don't believe either Sharp or Little expect to play on Saturday. Sharp may quietly hope he gets the nod, but he knows he's the back up, on loan from another club, and Mehmet has the No 1 jersey. He will even feel sympathy for Mehmet if he is dropped. Rival goalies often share a unique, empathetic friendship. They are a different breed from outfield players and only they fully understand the perils of their position. McPake is hardly going to come out and say Sharp (or Mehmet) are not very good, is he? 

That's the kind of shooting yourself in the foot statement that John Hughes would make. Who's he managing now? 🤔

9 hours ago, GG Riva said:

You want Mehmet dropped even though you admit Edwards was complicit in the first goal.

Yes I want him dropped for absolutely gifting a goal away. Not exactly his first of the season. Clearly no manager with half a brain is coming out to say anyone isn’t very good, but if Mcpake keeps picking mehmet after numerous mistakes then he’s only himself to blame