Transfer window

Al k

In preparation for catching the next series of Sunderland til I die, I decided to restart watching from series 1.

Quite alarming how after first 3/4 episodes I find myself finding so many parallels to us right now.  Indulge me in these a little as I’m being semi serious…

- for Martin Bain read David Cook (Christ they even look similar)

- for Simon Greyson see McPake (again shaving his head there’s more a resemblance! 😂)

- their squad and ours comparable  in terms of underperformance this season,

- injuries and bad luck

- owner that isn’t entirely visible/present

- horrendous home form and atmosphere with angry fans 

- underwhelming transfer windows

i mean, it all turned out ok for Sunderland didn’t it? 🥹

Interesting reading the courier and Ashcroft saying potter was a huge reason he went there, always on the phone making him feeling wanted and that’s what got it over the line. Yet our sporting director is barely in the country and does zoom calls once a week 🤣

Potter is a good guy, so that is probably a factor.  He left us for a bigger opportunity at Sunderland though, so it is not as if the club dropped the ball on that one.  Raith being one point off top spot and us being in freefall in 9th is likely the biggest issue, however.  It isn't really a big decision for Rudden and Ashcroft if both clubs are in for them.

If Byrne is the other one you're referring to, I believe that was slightly different.

4 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

We've got a CEO who is hands on and is here.

Your point seemed to be that Rovers had someone in regular touch with Ashcroft, making him feel wanted at the club, whereas we didn't. That wasn't the case. 

Is Cook hands on? What has he done exactly?

• Upvote 1

I would argue that injuries have been more of a disaster than the signings.

Since Cook has been in charge, we've secured a lot of decent players - some on loan, some permanent, some on loan and then signed permanently.  We've also successfully re-signed a lot of our own players who were out of contract.  

We've clearly missed out on some guys, most notably in this window, but that would seem to be a product of us being in freefall results-wise, which is largely due to a crippling injury list. 

There will also be budgets/wage structure that he's got to work within, but the owners are going to have the ultimate say on those numbers.  

• Upvote 4