Transfer window

Al k

So what's everyone thoughts?

Cook made a statement a few days ago with similar mentions from the previous two windows. Since the winter windows with Hughes they've been fairly quiet focusing on evolution rather than revolution (Which isn't a bad thing by all means).

I really think we need a defender for cover/starter or both while the injuries are ongoing and another option upfront after McCann's injury and our failure to improve our options last window. 

Anyone you think could add to the squad as temporary measure. Ashcroft could be one in defense. Can't think of any attacking option off the top of my head but there must be someone that's at least managed double figures in total over the last couple of seasons.

Edited by Al k

There was a lot of talk of Ashcroft from P&B. Its difficult to say if we had a fully fit squad I think we would be quite competitive, However the injuries we seem to be picking up are not helping. I suppose its where we have the ambition to finish, I don't think we are going to win this league and the Premiership would be too much of a jump in quality if we did. I think Dundee Utd, Raith and Partick are strong enough to finish in the top 3. I would like to make the top 4 and a play off place, so I would probably say one or two players at best. A CH would be ideal but just bringing in players for the sake of it and stifling the development of our younger players is not the greatest in the long term. The Jan window isn't the greatest in terms of available quality either but If McPake can lay his hands on someone who will make a genuine improvement i'll be happy with his judgement.

• Upvote 1

I kinda agree,  We're no match for the top 3 and even a massive investment would unlikely claw that back.  However,  my question would be,  if we're going to cross that gap for next season IMO we need 5-6 probable starters to come in and its better to do that over 2 windows than 1, especially given our track record of being slow in making signings. 

Theres no chance of us getting any higher than 4th, so no reason to waste money on signings chasing the top 3, but our short term injuries and recovery need a bit of a helping hand.

We are only a few points in front of the teams below and think we need the faces short term at least to tide us over. 

• Upvote 1

Patrick's tally against the other sides is similar to ours and we have a game in hand on them, so 3rd place isn't unthinkable.

We'd probably need to be luckier with injuries - and them to lose a couple of crucial players for a few games.

I'd say that's more important than signing anyone but I'd obviously welcome anyone that would improve the side even if everyone was available.

48 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Becoming increasingly frustrated with blaming injuries, yes we’ve had a harsh run of it but we must stand up and deal with it, recruit properly, stop being forced to name kids on the bench and push the club forward.

I don't think it's unreasonable to point to the catalogue of injuries our club has suffered this season. While we were undoubtedly very lucky with injuries last season, we've had more than our fair share of bad luck this season, 

• Upvote 1

Social media is annoying me with people complaining that we haven't signed anyone, when the transfer window isn't even open yet.

I think that targets will more than likely have been identified but too many people have to learn that the Calderwood years where we could sign someone just for the sake of signing them are long behind us, and that we were spoiled as **** back then.

"Aye but the Rovers are signing loads of people"

Is the Rovers model being backed by the cocai..  conservatory mogul really sustainable?

7 minutes ago, Deutsch Par said:

Social media is annoying me with people complaining that we haven't signed anyone, when the transfer window isn't even open yet.?

That’s not an isolated thing tho? All the noise coming out the club is they’re more hoping we sign a witch doctor who suddenly provides the mythical fully fit squad but the they aren’t that interested in addicting many.

if the noise was about being pro-active in the market, that they had some deals the were hoping to complete in early January, that they recognized the need to get much closer to the top teams in the division then more would be waiting to anticipation to who we will bring in.  

Bit of expectation management going on by the looks of it. Any news on Hamilton’s injury - if it is a fracture we surely need another central defender and another central mid. We sumply can’t rely on Bene, Breen and Fisher being available for the rest of the season. 

And we really need additional firepower up front if McCann is out for weeks.