Transfer window

Al k

7 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I would argue that injuries have been more of a disaster than the signings.

Since Cook has been in charge, we've secured a lot of decent players - some on loan, some permanent, some on loan and then signed permanently.  We've also successfully re-signed a lot of our own players who were out of contract.  

We've clearly missed out on some guys, most notably in this window, but that would seem to be a product of us being in freefall results-wise, which is largely due to a crippling injury list. 

There will also be budgets/wage structure that he's got to work within, but the owners are going to have the ultimate say on those numbers.  

I agree with most of this, but will caveat that we’ve deliberately run light for two years. Last year we got away with it, this year been caught absolutely pants down.  Someone (whether individually or collectively) has to take accountability for that.  If not the CEO, then who?

9 minutes ago, Rossmcno1 said:

I agree with most of this, but will caveat that we’ve deliberately run light for two years. Last year we got away with it, this year been caught absolutely pants down.  Someone (whether individually or collectively) has to take accountability for that.  If not the CEO, then who?

The strategy is to run light, so that there is a pathway for youth players to come through.  I'd argue that we were light at the start of the season, but not that light by the time the window closed if you look at the first team squad.

Regardless, that plan is very much the philosophy of DAFC Fussball GmBH.  Cook has obviously been brought in to run the club, so one would imagine that the strategy isn't so objectionable that he cannot work with it - but it isn't his brainchild.

Edited by DA-go Par Adonis

20 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Does it not reek more putting plan B into place - given that plan A had to be abandoned yesterday as he signed for Raith?

Not really given he is a right sided defender and Ashcroft is left sided. This is cover for Comrie and/or Fagan Walcott, or they've seen enough of Xavier Benjamin and are shuffling things about.

1 hour ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Somehow we managed it with Meggle sitting behind his laptop in Hamburg and Cook sitting in his office shuffling paper and playing solitaire.

I think the point being made is there is a guy at Raith who has a great network of contacts and they are using that to get him onto players to speak to them to convince them to come. My personal perception is that Meggle doesn't have those relationships with these players so won't be as equipped to do that, and Cook can sell the club, but not on as a personal a level as someone who knows most of these guys professionally having played with them, against them, or coached them at some point in his career and that is why they are pipping to all of these players. More than one of them has alluded to this.

I'm not saying they both can't attract players, I'm saying that the personal aspect is having great success for Raith. 

• Upvote 3

I agreed that Potter at Raith was a positive factor for them.  Nobody is arguing that the Rovers are not doing an excellent job in recruiting players.  

I've never seen this new guy play.  However, my understanding is that he is right-footed and can play as a centre back, right back or right wing back.  My guess would therefore be that we'll have him on the right hand side of the back 3, with Comrie as wing-back or vice-versa - depending on what looks best in training.  I think it is fair to suggest this is plan B i.e. he would not have been signed if we landed Ashcroft.  

I think Fagan-Walcott will see plenty of game time over the next few weeks, Benjamin not so much.