Transfer window

Al k

6 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

I'm really scunnered with The Pars just now. Feel like the owners have lost any interest in making us competitive in the Championship while Rovers go from strength to strength. Falkirk romping League 1 as well while we settle for second best. Just not good enough 

If you think it's bad this year, I'm almost dreading staying up if Raith stay down. You'll have them and Falkirk having a ding dong for the title while we talk about consolidation and a 10/7 year plan or whatever. 

If there is a supporters meeting, one thing I'd be interested in asking is how we're going to market next season to try and sell season tickets. Every Pars fan I speak to like yerself, is just absolutely scunnered (Great word eh?). Currently our home form this season is abysmal, even SNW has been getting emptier the past few games and if we have another transfer window where we don't find the balance between prospects, and experience I don't see that changing for next season. 

We need something to actually make us beleive that this regime has what it takes to get us out the Championship at the top end, rather than having us flirt with relegation. 

There is actually some good things happening at EEP, there's a few events ongoing(Wife is going to some bingo even on Friday night?) to use the space which will hopefully bring in extra coin, that's good and points to one part of the buisness being run well. But the actual footballing side? Christ it's just a bit grim eh. 

On 30th December, we were winning 2-1 at HT at Ayr.  At the same time, Airdrie were not ahead in their game.  The live league table had us in 4th place - and 6 points clear of 5th place.

So, I guess the answer for the optimists amongst us, is that a lot can change very quickly in football.  There is no guarantee that everything will look as gloomy when season tickets go on sale.

We could end the season with Bene, Fisher and Otoo at the back.  KRH and Edwards bombing down the wings, Hamilton, Todd and Summers running over teams in the middle of the park and Kane working well with Jakubiak up front.

Alternatively, everyone might be injured, Comrie, Young and Fenton are the last ones standing, they can't cope with Kane Hester, which results in Little picking the ball out the net half a dozen times as Montrose horse us out of the play-offs...   

21 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

On 30th December, we were winning 2-1 at HT at Ayr.  At the same time, Airdrie were not ahead in their game.  The live league table had us in 4th place - and 6 points clear of 5th place.

So, I guess the answer for the optimists amongst us, is that a lot can change very quickly in football.  There is no guarantee that everything will look as gloomy when season tickets go on sale.

We could end the season with Bene, Fisher and Otoo at the back.  KRH and Edwards bombing down the wings, Hamilton, Todd and Summers running over teams in the middle of the park and Kane working well with Jakubiak up front.

Alternatively, everyone might be injured, Comrie, Young and Fenton are the last ones standing, they can't cope with Kane Hester, which results in Little picking the ball out the net half a dozen times as Montrose horse us out of the play-offs...   

Well that started out as just the tonic then you quickly ripped away all hope at the end 🤣 Bravo 😄

• Upvote 1

Not convinced Ashcroft was the answer.  McPake prefers a back 3, and Ash never looked that comfortable there.  It’s  disappointing we’ve lost out on an experienced defender - again - but let’s see who they’ve got lined up instead.  

we were 4th pretty recently, drew away from home with the league favourites, and should have some of those injured players back soon.  The football’s not been great to watch this season, and with postponed games,  re-arranged dates, free days due to our poor cup form, and some holidays with my wife, it all feels a bit stop/start.  Maybe we need to keep our nerve, I’m hopeful we won’t be involved in relegation play-offs. 

24 minutes ago, Dave said:

we were 4th pretty recently, drew away from home with the league favourites, 

And now we're 8 points away from fourth, are closer to bottom than the promotion playoffs, we are currently in the relegation playoffs, haven't won in nine, and since drawing with Dundee United we have gained one point, conceding 9 goals in the process over three games at East End Park, despite playing what was the bottom two. 

We are 9th, where we were at half time against Ayr doesn't matter. It is the situation we find ourselves in now, and the future that's important. 

We also drew that game with Ayr after being 2-0 up and comfortable so lord knows why anyone wants to hark back to that. 

47 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

His point was clearly that fortunes can change in as little as 6/8 weeks. Us and Morton are testament to that. I really don't think he's trying to say in another 6 weeks we'll definitely be back up to 4th.

But have our fortunes changed that dramatically? When we were last in fourth (end of the 2-2 draw with Ayr) we had 23 points after 18 games, that is not a good points total(I checked back to season 13/14 and it was the lowest points total for fourth place by a decent amount) and we were only five points off bottom. 

Now, we're six points off bottom, that's actually pretty consistent. With our points PPG going from 1.28 to 1.09, it really isn't that wild a swing. 

I think viewing us as a team in 4th place needs to be viewed with the caveat that if we had reached 4th come the season end, with that PPG, we would've been the worst team to reach the playoffs since they were introduced. 

Good post Grant.  Getting to 4th, with that long injury list and players out of position, meant the football wasn’t great, and we’ve never looked or deserved to be a top 4 this season. 

With players coming back (slowly), and hopefully the signing of Kane will get us higher up the league.  Maybe all things considered, that’s consolidating our promotion from last season. 

13 minutes ago, Dave said:

Good post Grant.  Getting to 4th, with that long injury list and players out of position, meant the football wasn’t great, and we’ve never looked or deserved to be a top 4 this season. 

With players coming back (slowly), and hopefully the signing of Kane will get us higher up the league.  Maybe all things considered, that’s consolidating our promotion from last season. 

I'm going to be honest and say, even last year for large parts of the season the football was pretty dire to watch so its not something new to this season, but we were winning then, so most fans didn't care that much about the style. 

• Upvote 1

It wasn't just about the style of play last season. When he got the job McPake said he just wanted us to win games. He certainly did that. We had to get out that league and we did. At the same time we looked like we were really building something that the supporters, especially the young fans, were buying into. There was a real spirit about the club.

That's all evaporated it would seem.

• Upvote 1