Queens Park v The Pars

Just got to hope signings are imminent and a few knocks will clear up in time for Saturday. I agree that if the likes of Taylor Sutherland can’t get a game over Wighton who actually shouldn’t even be in the squad according to Mcpake, he obviously doesn’t have too much faith in them at this stage 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2024 at 20:13, kelty_par said:

Just got to hope signings are imminent and a few knocks will clear up in time for Saturday. I agree that if the likes of Taylor Sutherland can’t get a game over Wighton who actually shouldn’t even be in the squad according to Mcpake, he obviously doesn’t have too much faith in them at this stage 

I think it’s far too simplistic to say they don’t have faith in him. They actually have high hopes for him. They may not want to lump the pressure on him or feel he’s that the way we need to play just now won’t suit his game and it be detrimental to his development?  I don’t know, I’m just guessing but it’s leaping to conclusions to say they don’t rate him as that is incorrect.

He’s still quite young, only just turned 18 a couple of months ago. That’s a lot to put on a young boy and they will be managing him carefully. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Grant said:

https://forum.pieandbovril.com/topic/256404-the-ultimate-super-ayr-thread/?do=findComment&comment=16272823

Post on PnB about our tactics on the board, then Comrie goes off 20 minutes in and the plan goes out the window. 

To be fair, we’re limited in our ability to have contingency plans due to lack of options. He’s one of our fittest players generally speaking so if you’re counting on any players being a safe bet, he’d be in that list. Also, my reading of that is he’s sitting in and being the ‘auld heid’. That should have protected him, for want of a better word. 

11 minutes ago, Digs said:

I think it’s far too simplistic to say they don’t have faith in him. They actually have high hopes for him. They may not want to lump the pressure on him or feel he’s that the way we need to play just now won’t suit his game and it be detrimental to his development?  I don’t know, I’m just guessing but it’s leaping to conclusions to say they don’t rate him as that is incorrect.

He’s still quite young, only just turned 18 a couple of months ago. That’s a lot to put on a young boy and they will be managing him carefully. 

Is there not two aspects to consider here?

You can think rate a young player has decent attributes and a chance of becoming a good player,  but that doesn’t directly mean you rate him highly as someone to get you the three points on any given week compared to senior options.

4 minutes ago, Digs said:

To be fair, we’re limited in our ability to have contingency plans due to lack of options. He’s one of our fittest players generally speaking so if you’re counting on any players being a safe bet, he’d be in that list. Also, my reading of that is he’s sitting in and being the ‘auld heid’. That should have protected him, for want of a better word. 

I don’t think grant was being critical in lack of contingency, more just a comment about how much we need to change due to an injury when in a better world he just subs someone like fisher in and can keep with the same general tactics.(tho you obviously always are constantly tweaking these)

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

You can think rate a young player has decent attributes and a chance of becoming a good player,  but that doesn’t directly mean you rate him highly as someone to get you the three points on any given week compared to senior options.

I don’t think grant was being critical in lack of contingency, more just a comment about how much we need to change due to an injury when in a better world he just subs someone like fisher in and can keep with the same general tactics.(tho you obviously always are constantly tweaking these)

That's what I'm saying though. It's not as simple as saying they don't rate him. Giving a kid who has just turned 18 and who has less than 5 first team appearances a start and asking him to get you goals is a huge amount of pressure. It would be unfair to chuck him in like that regardless of the situation. 

Also, the other one is probably a fair comment, it was late and I wasn't 100% on what he meant. 

2 hours ago, Grant said:

Was just posting up a picture people might find interesting. 

I get that mate, not saying your post was ambiguous, just that it was clearly past my bedtime and the brain wasn't fully engaged. I get what you meant now. Apologies for the misunderstanding 👍

• Upvote 1