The Pars v Queens Park - Finally!

When you have a midfield that includes both Chalmers and Allan you are asking for trouble. I made a point of watching Allan for 5 minutes yesterday and I hate saying it but he contributed next to nothing. At one point he came short to take a ball from Benjamin. No-one near him but just passed straight back to him. Neither of them joins the "press" our strikers attempt so 2 or 3 simple passes and Queens were in our half. Pathetic.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

When you have a midfield that includes both Chalmers and Allan you are asking for trouble. I made a point of watching Allan for 5 minutes yesterday and I hate saying it but he contributed next to nothing. At one point he came short to take a ball from Benjamin. No-one near him but just passed straight back to him. Neither of them joins the "press" our strikers attempt so 2 or 3 simple passes and Queens were in our half. Pathetic.

Both nowhere near good enough at this level. Still got chalmers for another year too

19 minutes ago, Piracy said:

I think Chalmers can still do a job for us if we pick up a bit and have the right players along side him. He isn't a bad football player. 

I'd agree, it's the system and players he's in with that is crushing him atm. Allan is flat out dreadful and I've no idea what's happened to Summers, he looked class but he's become a passenger. 

• Upvote 2

I've long thought that. 

He'd be a very good player in a team full of energy and making runs. 

We're far too pedestrian and he often has no attacking runs to try connect with. He tries to bring composure to our game, but it isn't effective when we're a slow, plodding bunch of chimps.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Grant said:

I'd agree, it's the system and players he's in with that is crushing him atm. Allan is flat out dreadful and I've no idea what's happened to Summers, he looked class but he's become a passenger. 

Agree similarly, allan would be ok to bring on in rotation for chalmers, like he was in league 1 but they are so similar(with allan being the poorer option) that playing them as a midfield 2 is a disaster. 

On summers and I could include moffat similarly, they like picking up spaces between defence and midfield, often looking for the infield ball once we've stretched teams.  Problem is clubs have noticed that threat and can easily drown them out with deep lying midfields and center backs stepping out.  The centre backs are happy to do that as our strikers are not threatening and the midfield have loads of time to drop into the space cos there's nowhere near enough tempo to our game in attack.

9 hours ago, kelty_par said:

Fact the manager is talking of 2 new signings coming in. And the fact he’s still got another 2 years left on his deal, he’ll be going nowhere. Which unfortunately means I think we’ll be going down as he’s too stuck in his ways 

Disagree he’s stuck in his ways. What with the injuries and the lack of signings of experienced players he has to try to cement a gameplan with what he’s got. If he had the luxury of a large squad that he could chop and change it might be a different story. On current evidence though - unless something remarkable happens - we’re knackered and I’m afraid League 1 beckons. And I don’t think changing systems would make any difference. McPake may have made some mistakes but I believe his heart is in the right place. He must though be tearing his hair out at the hand he’s been dealt, both by lack of investment and the injuries situation.

18 minutes ago, Yorkiepar said:

Disagree he’s stuck in his ways. What with the injuries and the lack of signings of experienced players he has to try to cement a gameplan with what he’s got. If he had the luxury of a large squad that he could chop and change it might be a different story. On current evidence though - unless something remarkable happens - we’re knackered and I’m afraid League 1 beckons. And I don’t think changing systems would make any difference. McPake may have made some mistakes but I believe his heart is in the right place. He must though be tearing his hair out at the hand he’s been dealt, both by lack of investment and the injuries situation.

8 goals shipped at home in 2 games and he isn’t set in his ways? It’s clear as anything the formation doesn’t work and he isn’t willing to change it. Last season he changed formation quite a bit so credit due there. Injuries is a excuse wearing thin, just had a full transfer window in which we had no game for 3 weeks and didn’t improve the team

• Upvote 1

I felt this week was the first time since the crisis set in there was a strong enough argument to change formation to a back 4, it still wouldn’t have been great cos Benjamin who sadly so far looks not up to it would be more exposed.  Sticking with the back 3 didn’t work and if we don’t bring in the quality needed this week going to a Back 4 of Comrie Benjamin Otoo Edwards is the only card mcpake can play

Edited by parsforlife