Is McPake's time up?

Should James McPake leave or be fired?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should James McPake be relieved of his duties?

2 points in the past 6 games, and the calls for James McPake's head are getting louder.

Justified or not?

I am of the opinion that he is not getting the backing that he needs, he asked for help weeks ago and got three kids with barely 10 senior appearances between them, fair enough Chris Kane came in this week but we are going into a gun fight armed with a spoon. 

There is also the question who would replace him as given the track record of our owners (other than McPake) choosing managers I wouldn't trust them to choose the TV channel.

• Upvote 2

I’ve voted no and that will be the same answer if we lose by a goal or two on Friday but the needle is certainly drifting towards him needing to leave at a fairly quick rate.

Generally it feels like he’s being asked to play with one arm tied behind his back, injuries, being given little backing in the summer or January and only after the Morton humping a suggestion from the board that they need to wake up and realize proven experienced pros are valuable.

Given the mountain we’ve given ourselves to climb we need to get those signings right and it looks like Kane does meet that remit, Ashcroft would too and i would like to add one more on top of that. We would have a chance then, if he gets those signings and results don’t improve he’ll have no excuse.

Edited by parsforlife
  • Upvote 1

McPake’s been dealt a crap hand, but whoever had been in charge would have struggled in the circumstances. He deserves the rest of this season to try and turn things round. After that ………? Just like there’s no magic money tree to buy players, so, I suspect, there’s no magic manager tree to improve on our current incumbent. Beyond this season - if we survive - the Board needs to look seriously at player recruitment, though I think a lot of people are being overly and unfairly critical of the players that have been signed: as (mostly) young lads they need time to establish themselves, get bedded into a playing system and gain a bit more experience. I see longer term potential in our squad but the question arises, what is our long term future and in which league?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yorkiepar said:

McPake’s been dealt a crap hand, but whoever had been in charge would have struggled in the circumstances. He deserves the rest of this season to try and turn things round. After that ………? Just like there’s no magic money tree to buy players, so, I suspect, there’s no magic manager tree to improve on our current incumbent. Beyond this season - if we survive - the Board needs to look seriously at player recruitment, though I think a lot of people are being overly and unfairly critical of the players that have been signed: as (mostly) young lads they need time to establish themselves, get bedded into a playing system and gain a bit more experience. I see longer term potential in our squad but the question arises, what is our long term future and in which league?

Great Post, Yorke. Spot on.

I think if it hadn’t been for injuries, then recruitment wouldn’t have been an issue other than the fact we keep running short on players.  This season has been in the post for some time.  We got away with running tight on numbers last season, and paid for it this season.  This is why I’m currently in no box, and swaying a little toward the undecided box.   I look elsewhere and don’t see any managers ripping it up that I’d want here.  The big Q, who comes in if he goes, and our current incumbent board track record gives me the fear.  

I think the board and specifically the CEO should be a lot more front and centre taking pressure off the manager - and I still hold them firmly accountable in the main for our current underperformance.  

You’ve nailed your colours SHP. So, apart from the usual sad list of available and often unavailable candidates that gets trotted out on such an occasion, who would you suggest could take on the job at this stage of the season and turn things around? 

How’s it up to someone on a forum to decide who the manager should be? That’s why we employee and pay good money for people like cook to make these decisions. That being said, the current owners have made 1/3 good management appointments so wouldn’t hold breath on them getting it right

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Yorkiepar said:

You’ve nailed your colours SHP. So, apart from the usual sad list of available and often unavailable candidates that gets trotted out on such an occasion, who would you suggest could take on the job at this stage of the season and turn things around? 

Id assume we'd maybe look at people like Mark Fotheringham, Lee Bullen, Billy Dodds....but then it depends who will apply for the job if it becomes available at the end of the day. 

But It's largely irrelevant until we do make a decision. One thing that I'm certain of is performance levels and results have been shocking recently and we are going backwards as a team with no signs of improvement. 

Ravaged with injuries and I believe McPake wasnt supported from the board to bring in the more experienced players he wanted. 
if we had most of our players fit then we would not be in this position. Terrible season but it’s not McPakes fault. Questions need asked about how the board supported him and signing young players with minimal game experience who he had to play against Morton etc etc. 

Gone through 3 x physios, Greg Shields gone🤷 I’m sure questions were asked at the shareholders meeting.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, the saline hill puma said:

Id assume we'd maybe look at people like Mark Fotheringham, Lee Bullen, Billy Dodds....but then it depends who will apply for the job if it becomes available at the end of the day. 

But It's largely irrelevant until we do make a decision. One thing that I'm certain of is performance levels and results have been shocking recently and we are going backwards as a team with no signs of improvement. 

Can I just add to this, that if mcpake does turn it around, I'd be delighted, at the moment, I just can't see it happening though.

We've had glimpses of ok performances at times but it's just not good enough overall, especially in the last 9/10 games where we've fell well short.

44 minutes ago, the saline hill puma said:

Billy Dodds? Honestly? We're in Hughes/Grant territory with that suggestion. ICT looked bound for League 1 with him in charge. Big Dunc has at least given them a fighting chance of staying up. 

• Upvote 1