Is McPake's time up?

Should James McPake leave or be fired?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should James McPake be relieved of his duties?

I’d say no. I thought we would get a play off spot without the long term injuries to key players.

could he have used the players he did have more effectively ? I’m sure if you asked him, he would honestly say yes. 

hopefully we will have a clean bill of health for the last half a dozen games.? 
grind out results meantime. 

other than Meggle, I’m not sure how many of GmbH have a wealth of football knowledge ? 
According to McPake, he has zoom calls with him on a Friday ?  not enough, if that’s the case. ? 

Edited by Raymie
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, the saline hill puma said:

We should be getting better results with the players he has available. Get him punted

Aye, the injuries have been a shocker but it taking so long to change the system is a shambles. He hasn't managed the players he has available very well. Even on Saturday, McCann was absolutely burst, surely Moffat should've been on? 

9 hours ago, Secure Par said:

These are not credible managers tbh!

Aye? I'd be very happy with Courts or Bowyer, I'd be intrigued by Young. Less keen on Thompson right enough but it's not an awful shout. 

This thread has gone from asking if McPake's time was up to speculating on who his successor might be. It's maybe a tad disrespectful, given he's still in post and there's been no hint of a "vote of confidence" from the Board. I've even found myself drawn in to the speculation by those who want him out.

I wanted Grant and Hughes out long before they were sacked because results and performances were poor almost from the outset, but McPake had a good season in League 1 and a decent start this season. When we beat Morton 3-1, going on 5 or 6 at home, I thought we were nailed on certainties for a playoff place. What I didn't realise then was that Morton had 9 players out. Two weeks later they had most of them back and started climbing the table. Our season has been the exact opposite. When Morton were our visitors again a fortnight ago, I was sitting just behind our injured players in the main stand. All TEN of them.

The time to decide McPake's future is at the end of the season. I believe he can keep us up. Hughes was given every chance to keep us up but failed, largely because the players had lost all respect for him and some actually hated him because of the way he treated them.

McPake has accumulated enough credit to be given the chance to carry on until the end of the season. It would be good for the club to communicate this to the fans, but in its absence, I'm assuming no news is good news for our manager.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Grant said:

Aye, the injuries have been a shocker but it taking so long to change the system is a shambles. He hasn't managed the players he has available very well. Even on Saturday, McCann was absolutely burst, surely Moffat should've been on? 

I'm sure McPake is honest enough to admit he has made mistakes and could have managed some things better, but the bottom line is that if he had a full squad to choose from, some of those he started with wouldn't even have made the bench. Is it the managers fault that he's had to field inexperienced kids in key positions?

30 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

Jack Ross.

I'm sure he'd love another punt at management instead of coaching Newcastle youths.

He'll be earning far more without the stresses of first team management doing the youths. 

1 hour ago, Eastendtales said:

Jack Ross.

I'm sure he'd love another punt at management instead of coaching Newcastle youths.

56 minutes ago, Grant said:

He'll be earning far more without the stresses of first team management doing the youths. 

I'm sure he's been quoted somewhere that he's enjoying it much more and has no thoughts of going back to being a manager

I think it's silly to suggest his time is up given what he has had to deal with injury wise over the course of the season. Any plans they had in place and goals/targets set must surely have been ripped up by early winter and it would be grossly unfair not to take that into account when discussing his situation. It's not like it's been 2 or 3 key players he's had out but almost an entire team.

Having said that, I don't think he should be immune from criticism either. One of the questions I'd like answered is what has he (or we as a club) done about the number of muscle injuries we've had? Bene injury number 1, KRH, Fisher off the top of my head were all impact injuries and what you'd expect and no blame can be attached, these things happen. 

The vast majority of them though are muscle tears, strains, ligament injuries etc, and these, to me, suggest that they have been impacted by load, rest, prep, warm up/cool down etc, ie the Sports Science side. That's the entire point of that area of the medical team, how much oversight has he, or indeed Meggle, given that area and asked questions of the data to try and ascertain why it is happening because this is a recurring problem. It can't all be down to bad luck.

• Upvote 9

It could be bad luck, though.  Occasionally, you will get a season where this happens, albeit this is as extreme as I can remember.  Last season, was the reverse, where we were, on the face of it, extremely lucky with the lack of injuries.  

I'd be interested in hearing his rationale for the back 3 he put out against Morton.  Looked pretty risky prior to kick-off and utterly suicidal by full-time.

2 hours ago, Digs said:

I think it's silly to suggest his time is up given what he has had to deal with injury wise over the course of the season. Any plans they had in place and goals/targets set must surely have been ripped up by early winter and it would be grossly unfair not to take that into account when discussing his situation. It's not like it's been 2 or 3 key players he's had out but almost an entire team.

Having said that, I don't think he should be immune from criticism either. One of the questions I'd like answered is what has he (or we as a club) done about the number of muscle injuries we've had? Bene injury number 1, KRH, Fisher off the top of my head were all impact injuries and what you'd expect and no blame can be attached, these things happen. 

The vast majority of them though are muscle tears, strains, ligament injuries etc, and these, to me, suggest that they have been impacted by load, rest, prep, warm up/cool down etc, ie the Sports Science side. That's the entire point of that area of the medical team, how much oversight has he, or indeed Meggle, given that area and asked questions of the data to try and ascertain why it is happening because this is a recurring problem. It can't all be down to bad luck.

The Irish lad who was heading up sports science left about 3/4 weeks ago.  Draw your own conclusions 

Edited by Raymie
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

It could be bad luck, though.  Occasionally, you will get a season where this happens, albeit this is as extreme as I can remember.  Last season, was the reverse, where we were, on the face of it, extremely lucky with the lack of injuries.  

I'd be interested in hearing his rationale for the back 3 he put out against Morton.  Looked pretty risky prior to kick-off and utterly suicidal by full-time.

I did say it can't ALL be bad luck, ie some of it might be.

I've been involved in football at various levels all my life as well as watching the Pars for all that time and I can't recall another situation like it anywhere.

53 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

To then play the same system against QP was beyond frustrating. 

I wasn't at Queen's Park, kept up to date with the score and then put it out of my mind - so can't really comment.

However, did he not change the personnel and put Hamilton back there? I've no issue with the back 3 per se - but I do have a problem when the 3 of them are introducing themselves to each other at kick off.

• Upvote 1