Charlie D's, Entertainment v ICT

49 minutes ago, Piracy said:

It is frustrating for the club.

It is a ****er that it's always Charlie D's that gets hit, but it's probably the least profitable part of hospitality on match days, so you can understand their decision making. 

Its clearly money motivated what areas get given the available staff, as you mention, hospitality staff off = bar staff moved to cover hospitality cos hospitality is the bigger generator.

I do wonder if we have to completely shut that area tho, would attendees be too annoyed if the same atmosphere could be offered but they would need to walk through to legends for a drink?  Possibly that would affect licencing tho if staff weren't at least regularly attending a section.

41 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

Does Legends need a rebrand? Freshen it up and start catering to a wider part of the fanbase?

It seems to serve its purpose, doesn't look like it struggles to get punters in for its capacity.   I think its the overall package for fans we need to focus on which when fully functioning I don't think we are that far from fulfilling. 

Edited by parsforlife

7 minutes ago, Eastendtales said:

Does Legends need a rebrand? Freshen it up and start catering to a wider part of the fanbase?

Certainly needs spruced up given the telly's are ancient, split material on the seating and some of the flooring is splitting. However, it's still a decent enough space. 

1 minute ago, Piracy said:

Certainly needs spruced up given the telly's are ancient, split material on the seating and some of the flooring is splitting. However, it's still a decent enough space. 

slightly different things I guess, refurb, in making any particular space as good as it can in physical items vs rebrand which is less tangible and more focused on overall vibe. 

2 minutes ago, Superally said:

Legends is fine, I prefer Charlie D's good company, banter and live music. Given the choice its Charlie D's 

It's my preference too.

The frustrating thing for me is that the club has never paid any heed to this facility on match days. It really took off in the early days and never really capitalised on that. It was always Honk who organised (and paid) the artists. Club pay them now, but still Honk who books them. The club never advertise the fact there is live music. I think it's always been seen as an area for bampots. 

25 minutes ago, Piracy said:

It is frustrating for the club.

It is a ****er that it's always Charlie D's that gets hit, but it's probably the least profitable part of hospitality on match days, so you can understand their decision making. 

Perhaps if they treated their staff a bit better (sending them home 5 mins before finishing time and docking them back half an hour etc) there wouldn’t be a staffing issue. Genuinely wouldn’t mind spending an extra ten bob a pint if it went on increasing from minimum wage. Last week it was quiet but generally it’s busy enough with thirsty chaps and should be turning a profit. At times the club needs to read the room as for me watching the pars isn’t about the attractive free flowing football, it’s a thing, it’s the day, it’s the folk that makes the club special. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Boston Red Sox said:

Perhaps if they treated their staff a bit better (sending them home 5 mins before finishing time and docking them back half an hour etc) there wouldn’t be a staffing issue. Genuinely wouldn’t mind spending an extra ten bob a pint if it went on increasing from minimum wage. Last week it was quiet but generally it’s busy enough with thirsty chaps and should be turning a profit. At times the club needs to read the room as for me watching the pars isn’t about the attractive free flowing football, it’s a thing, it’s the day, it’s the folk that makes the club special. 

That last sentence is particularly relevant imo. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Piracy said:

I think it's always been seen as an area for bampots. 

When I talked of the overall package for hospitality an area for bampots is part of that and I don't want that to sound offensive.  Its kinda organic but everyone knows the parts of the grounds where expected behaviour differ If you start swearing your head off in the family section then that's not ok and if you bounce around and sing songs in the main stand you'll get a few questionable looks,  but you do either in section NW you'll be right at home.  Similarly at the other end you might find a few more frustrated glances coming if you try take a 5 year old outside the family section and need to constantly ask to be let out for toilets/drinks but that's clearly acceptable in the family section.   

The hospitality package needs to be similar,  you can have an area for kids to go play games, an area for a quite pint and catch up, an area to have a meal, an area to entertain business clients and an area for folk to be a bit boisterous.  They aren't conflicting when appropriately managed.

I see that but if staff that work are getting told to go home then wages are reduced then wtf is going on? They work 45 mins then get paid 30 mins as they have not worked 1 hour…really are the club still in this situation treating staff like ****? 
plus it’s the last home game which will probably bring in more fans…. 🤷🤷🤷

Edited by Secure Par

26 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

When I talked of the overall package for hospitality an area for bampots is part of that and I don't want that to sound offensive.  Its kinda organic but everyone knows the parts of the grounds where expected behaviour differ If you start swearing your head off in the family section then that's not ok and if you bounce around and sing songs in the main stand you'll get a few questionable looks,  but you do either in section NW you'll be right at home.  Similarly at the other end you might find a few more frustrated glances coming if you try take a 5 year old outside the family section and need to constantly ask to be let out for toilets/drinks but that's clearly acceptable in the family section.   

The hospitality package needs to be similar,  you can have an area for kids to go play games, an area for a quite pint and catch up, an area to have a meal, an area to entertain business clients and an area for folk to be a bit boisterous.  They aren't conflicting when appropriately managed.

No offence taken. The reference to bampots isn't anything other than a joke between those who patronise Charlie Ds on matchdays. I remember a former board member speaking through drink muttering "I wish we could get rid of them', in reference to those who drank regularly in Charlie D's. To counter that I do remember Ross McArthur valuing the efforts made by fans using Charlie D's because it added to the hospitality packages and Legends as another valuable revenue stream for the club. Tbh I think the variety of options is great for the club, it should be all things to all people. 

2 minutes ago, Piracy said:

No offence taken. The reference to bampots isn't anything other than a joke between those who patronise Charlie Ds on matchdays. I remember a former board member speaking through drink muttering "I wish we could get rid of them', in reference to those who drank regularly in Charlie D's. To counter that I do remember Ross McArthur valuing the efforts made by fans using Charlie D's because it added to the hospitality packages and Legends as another valuable revenue stream for the club. Tbh I think the variety of options is great for the club, it should be all things to all people. 

So Charlie D’s has been going most of the season and last game so no staff etc…. Well done Mr Cook…he could have made this happen easily getting extra staff in but we all know he doesn’t want this🤷

• Upvote 1