David Goodwillie

rosythpar

Like everyone else on here and anyone with a shred of common decency, I am completely baffled by this decision.

Shooting yourself in the foot doesn't begin to cover it. They also shot themselves in both knees, before finishing with another bullet to the groin.

There's no way Goodwillie will play for the Rivers, imo. There will be such an outcry and backlash that his contract will be cancelled and those responsible for signing him will either resign or be sacked. And so they should....v

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

I still don’t understand why the would sign DG as it was stated before when they were interested that fans etc would not be happy?

Here's what McGlynn says:

Announcing the signing, Raith manager John McGlynn said Goodwillie has a “proven track record as a goal-scorer”.

“Signing him, I believe, is crucial to the club’s promotion push in our quest to reach the SPFL Premiership,” he said.

“It is a great signing for Raith Rovers as a club, as David is the top goalscorer in Scotland.

“Every striker at the club will benefit greatly from his experience in matches and training.”

🙈🙉🙊

I've spent the morning talking with some of my friends at Raith Rovers, and without exception they are scunnered by this. 

This decision must have been sanctioned by Sim, the de facto owner.  I can only assume that he has been too long in the Far East to have any idea of how this will be received by a substantial part of his support. I have to further say that when I had business dealings with him, I found him hard to like. 

We know what Val McDiarmid thinks -- but what about Gordon Brown? Indeed what about Ian Rankin. What about their female CEO.

It is clear why McGlynn has done this: he sees promotion within his grasp. Well it is the job of the Chair to tell him that this is not on. I do feel for the decent members of the Raith Board -- they should follow Andy Mill and resign.

• Upvote 2

I just can’t see Goodwillie playing for the club, how Raith didn’t expect such a reaction is beyond me.

The biggest own goal I think I’ve ever seen scored for absolutely nothing.

Whatever Raith decide to do now, the damage has been done and it will take a long time to recover from. 

If Raith were to reverse, how does it work contractually, assuming he’ll need to be paid in full or terminate and return to Clyde who will be happy to have him back?

It’s not Goodwillie’s fault they signed him, the club knew fine well his background and decided to continue with it so not sure what the next steps are going to be here.

12 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

Nah.  We go there in full volume, fill their stand and let them and him know exactly what we think of them, and cheer our boys onto a famous victory.

Speaking to a few pars fans this morning and they have all said they wont be going to Starks next season and giving their BOD any money if he is still a Rovers player.

I feel sorry for the Rovers fans 

5 minutes ago, rosythpar said:

Speaking to a few pars fans this morning and they have all said they wont be going to Starks next season and giving their BOD any money if he is still a Rovers player.

I feel sorry for the Rovers fans 

And I understand that.  I get both sides completely.   I just think I’m on the side that I would rather my team had every chance to thump them (and him), and that needs a strong visiting support to cheer to victory.