Update from the club tonight

Piracy

A lot of people are (naturally) focussing on onfield aspects, but if I've understood what was being said then it's all part of a wider long-term project involving everyone associated with the club. The aim is to give DAFC a unique image in Scottish (and maybe wider) football that will attract better players, more fans, greater community involvement and higher commercial investment.

Will it be successful? It's far too early to tell, and everyone knows that results on the field will determine whether or not fans buy into it - that in itself will be sufficient reason to think that winning games will be the priority.

Let's see how it develops!

46 minutes ago, Stanza said:

A lot of people are (naturally) focussing on onfield aspects, but if I've understood what was being said then it's all part of a wider long-term project involving everyone associated with the club. 

Which is fine, it's just odd that they've announced it this way and at this stage in the preseason preparations. I wish we could have heard about this in early June, and that the info had been made available to everyone at once. It's just a presentation issue really.

58 minutes ago, Al k said:

The training ground was held up because of drainage issues. I believe there was an update somewhere on it last week.

Now that's been sorted who is dealing with what there will now have to be a recosting for certain aspects due to change in material costs. 

Have you tried contacting the club for a definite answer?

Think your getting a bit upset over the sporting thing. I'm reading it as if something out of the ordinary happening and its such a bad thing we would try and apply some form of sporting integrity.

Why don't we just worry about when and if it happens?

We aren't going start scoring own goals because an opposing players slipped and we got a yard advantage. 

Where was this update? Why has it taken nearly two years to resolve drainage issues? 

No I haven't tried contacting the club, should we maybe just bin the official club website off? Maybe we could just have an email service for fans to fire in questions as and when they come to them? 

https://archive.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Club_Statement&ID=13462

From 2021, massive news and it'll hopefully be ready for 2022. 

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/20236378.dunfermline-athletic-boss-james-mcpake-says-new-training-ground-will-huge-boost/

James McPake comes in and quite rightly points out what a massive boost it will be for the club. 

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/23041714.dunfermline-athletic-get-green-light-new-3g-pitch-rosyth/

It's taken nearly a year but we have permission to install the pitch (ten month's ago?). 

A training ground will have far more of a discernable impact on the club than the nonsense that seemed to make up the majority of last night, but the silence from the club has been deafening. 

I've been pretty calm about our lack of signings but again, purely going from what was said last night we sound a shambles. Bragging about your top targets going to premiership sides isn't a brag. Charlie Reilly has been training with Dundee for months, why on earth would he then choose us?  

The fans have backed the club superbly with the amount of season tickets sold, in turn we've signed O'Halloran on a two year deal. 

Along the road, the new owners at Raith are refurbishing the main stand, with constant updates throughout the summer. They've brought in exciting new signings that have them looking in a really good place for the new season. 

We on the other hand have had a fans meeting where the main topic was something about being more sporting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Grant said:

Where was this update? Why has it taken nearly two years to resolve drainage issues? 

No I haven't tried contacting the club, should we maybe just bin the official club website off? Maybe we could just have an email service for fans to fire in questions as and when they come to them? 

https://archive.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Club_Statement&ID=13462

From 2021, massive news and it'll hopefully be ready for 2022. 

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/20236378.dunfermline-athletic-boss-james-mcpake-says-new-training-ground-will-huge-boost/

James McPake comes in and quite rightly points out what a massive boost it will be for the club. 

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/23041714.dunfermline-athletic-get-green-light-new-3g-pitch-rosyth/

It's taken nearly a year but we have permission to install the pitch (ten month's ago?). 

A training ground will have far more of a discernable impact on the club than the nonsense that seemed to make up the majority of last night, but the silence from the club has been deafening. 

I've been pretty calm about our lack of signings but again, purely going from what was said last night we sound a shambles. Bragging about your top targets going to premiership sides isn't a brag. Charlie Reilly has been training with Dundee for months, why on earth would he then choose us?  

The fans have backed the club superbly with the amount of season tickets sold, in turn we've signed O'Halloran on a two year deal. 

Along the road, the new owners at Raith are refurbishing the main stand, with constant updates throughout the summer. They've brought in exciting new signings that have them looking in a really good place for the new season. 

We on the other hand have had a fans meeting where the main topic was something about being more sporting. 

Your getting a bit carried away here Grant, it was a simple question.

You may want to email the club for a better response. There were complications with the drainage because of the old sewers had to be back filled as there were risk of collapse.

From what I remember there was a bit to and frowing to who's responsibility that was. 

I can't find or remember where I saw it. Will have a better look later. 

11 minutes ago, Al k said:

Your getting a bit carried away here Grant, it was a simple question.

You may want to email the club for a better response. 

I'd rather the club just communicated far better tbh. We have a club official website, we should use that IMO. 

• Downvote 2

Why choose the narrative that they were bragging?  Could they not have just been explaining that they missed out on 3 targets who ended up in the premier league.  

Also, we've signed KRH, Otoo and Fisher on permanent deals.  They were not our players before and now they are, so we have made 4 signings (plus the on-loan keeper).  Again, we'd all have hoped for more by now, but I don't get why you ignore that fact just so that you can feel more aggrieved.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Grant said:

I'd rather the club just communicated far better tbh. We have a club official website, we should use that IMO. 

Here's an offer Grant. Next liaison this website is invited to. You can go as our representative and speak to the guys. It's a genuine offer. In fact that is open to any of the posters. It's an opportunity.

I really don't think it's that bad a message from the club. But that's my personal opinion. 

Remember too, the club have supporters evenings. Anyone can attend of you apply for a spot. Again, that's within each individuals gift to attend. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Why choose the narrative that they were bragging?  Could they not have just been explaining that they missed out on 3 targets who ended up in the premier league.  

Which is in fact, exactly what happened. Anyone drawing any other inference from what I said would seem like they were desperate to be outraged. 

I fully understand scepticism, I'm sceptical on whether it may take off as they hope, but some of the language being used seems to me to be a massive over reaction, with conclusions being drawn and assumptions behind made from putting two and two together and making five. 

As I said, ask questions, be sceptical, but some of the questions are far from being open minded, and seem to start with an expectation that we've already ****ed it.

Just take a step back and relax for a minute.  

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Also, we've signed KRH, Otoo and Fisher on permanent deals.  They were not our players before and now they are, so we have made 4 signings (plus the on-loan keeper).  Again, we'd all have hoped for more by now, but I don't get why you ignore that fact just so that you can feel more aggrieved.  

This is a good point - I guess we may well see a similar pattern of loan players this season, with some of those hopefully being converted to full players if they do well. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stanza said:

The aim is to give DAFC a unique image in Scottish (and maybe wider) football that will attract better players, more fans, greater community involvement and higher commercial investment.

Is there suggestions at how the club are going to achieve this?  How do we let everyone know that dunfermline is a nice club with good boys who everyone should come out and see?  

If the aim is this image will get us more money and as a result better players which should result in better results then if it succeeds we will be happy.  It’s maybe a bit of a long way round but better results is all we want, so I don’t mind that,  but they need to show why they believe the project will work? What exactly are we going to do that will achieve success on the pitch?  

Edited by parsforlife

24 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Is there suggestions at how the club are going to achieve this?  How do we let everyone know that dunfermline is a nice club with good boys who everyone should come out and see?  

If the aim is this image will get us more money and as a result better players which should result in better results then if it succeeds we will be happy.  It’s maybe a bit of a long way round but better results is all we want, so I don’t mind that,  but they need to show why they believe the project will work? What exactly are we going to do that will achieve success on the pitch?  

It's completely unrealistic to expect that degree of detail within 24 hours of a top-line presentation that set out a long-term vision.

I'm sure some thought will have been given to both on-field and off-field activities (success in both areas is inextricably linked, even if some fans don't see it that way). Give it time, this isn't a short sprint, it's a marathon.

Hopefully the club will have a plan to roll out more detail in future months. (I agree with Sanguine Pars's assessment above that the club should be doing more to control the narrative, rather than leaving it to the fans who were at the meeting.)

Edited by Stanza
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Stanza said:

It's completely unrealistic to expect that degree of detail within 24 hours of a top-line presentation that set out a long-term vision.

I'm sure some thought will have been given to both on-field and off-field activities (success in both areas is inextricably linked, even if some fans don't see it that way). Give it time, this isn't a short sprint, it's a marathon.

Hopefully the club will have a plan to roll out more detail in future months. (I agree with Sanguine Pars's assessment above that the club should be doing more to control the narrative, rather than leaving it to the fans who were at the meeting.)

24 hours since the presentation maybe but I hope to **** it’s not 24 hours since they came up with the idea and I would have thought they would have come up with some formulations about how they would make the idea meet the aim.  

Obviously off field and on field success are intertwined,  but we really really need to see some suggestion that the overall investment group project that is 3+ years in is going to improve the club in both. TBH I’m getting a little hacked off about the long term project chat,  they’ve been a good while and I wonder at what point should results show?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Would've been good to explain why they were targeting player's out of our reach then? Having Charlie Reilly as a top target is just silly. 

We have, they were also a part of the squad last year, I'm not doing anything to feel more aggrieved, it's to point out that we're heading into the first league game tomorrow ridiculously light. 

If we line up 

Little/New Gk

Comrie-Fisher-Bene-Breen-Edwards

Hamilton-Otoo-Chalmers 

Wighton-McCann

Our only subs with much first team experience will be O'Halloran who's missed most of pre season through injury, and Paul Allan. 

I'm not making anything up to feel aggrieved, our squad last year was light but we got lucky with injuries, and we're even lighter now. O'Halloran looks like a replacement for Mahon in that we've got a pacy wide player. 

However we've not replaced O'Hara or Todorov for cover upfront, or Mcdonald for cover at RWB, or Mochrie... As things stand we're weaker now than what we finished last season. 

1 hour ago, Piracy said:

Here's an offer Grant. Next liaison this website is invited to. You can go as our representative and speak to the guys. It's a genuine offer. In fact that is open to any of the posters. It's an opportunity.

I really don't think it's that bad a message from the club. But that's my personal opinion. 

Remember too, the club have supporters evenings. Anyone can attend of you apply for a spot. Again, that's within each individuals gift to attend. 

Surely the point in these meetings is for a singular person to represent a community? In that regard it would be wasted on me representing his forum, Digs does a fantastic job writing up what was said that I quite frankly, couldn't match. 

I've been to the supporters meetings, hee haw has been said about Rosyth at the last few either. Truthfully I'm not sure I'll bother with the next, because nothing tends to get said. 

If I could be so bold I still firmly beleive that news relating to Rosyth/Club ethos should be getting relayed directly via the club, that way they could at least try and control the narrative more. Giving information to a select few fans to disseminate just seems positively medieval, why could this presentation not be put up etc etc?