Greg shields

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Talk of funding brings me back to something that I've said before, having an academy, especially a successful one that entices the best young players in the area is really expensive. Is that financially prudent when we're in the the Scottish Championship? Not for me. 

I'm sort of in this camp. I posted on here at the time that I has asked Ross McArthur if we could end up with a bit of a white elephant with the training ground. He said once the asset is bought with the German investment(now over budget and needed addtional funding partners) we would break even with the savings from renting pitches for training etc. That might still be the case once its done from a training ground perspective. But with the rumours of the financial losses this year how much of our budget is now being re-directed to building the training ground? And how much  of our playing budget will be going into the academy operations year on year. We really need to get into the premier league to make things viable. Maybe once its built thats where the push will be.

Its tough competing for youngsters with 2 dundee, 2 edinburgh clubs not too far away. As well as the Glasgow 2, not to mention local ones like rovers 

Edited by Fifes Elite
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Secure Par said:

Tbh if the set up was right Dunfermline has a great base to get youngsters in.

We are lucky to have Pitreavie where so many young players go and enjoy their football. 
Why are players down there getting picked up by Celtic,Rangers, Hearts and Dundee Utd? 
Where is our youth recruitment scout? We have the FFPA that is brutal and just a moneymaker… no wonder we lose all the up and coming youn guns and they are travelling miles to academy’s as imo our set up is very poor. 

Hearts have Riccarton which is twenty minutes away from Rosyth, for an extra twenty minutes of travelling you can go to a better funded youth academy which is playing at the Elite level, and who's senior side will pay higher wages. 

Or you can go to Dunfermline, who play at the performance (progressive) level and who by posts on this thread, and from what I've heard, is very poorly funded and quite frankly a bit of a shambles. 

We are not the most attractive prospect in our immediate area. Having a training ground will be a fantastic asset, a youth academy though? I'm yet to be convinced that it is at all viable. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Grant said:

Hearts have Riccarton which is twenty minutes away from Rosyth, for an extra twenty minutes of travelling you can go to a better funded youth academy which is playing at the Elite level, and who's senior side will pay higher wages. 

Or you can go to Dunfermline, who play at the performance (progressive) level and who by posts on this thread, and from what I've heard, is very poorly funded and quite frankly a bit of a shambles. 

We are not the most attractive prospect in our immediate area. Having a training ground will be a fantastic asset, a youth academy though? I'm yet to be convinced that it is at all viable. 

No guarantee of that either, If we want to be a truly a successful youth academy I can't see how that works with just taking boys from west fife,  needs to be all of fife, forth valley and the Lothians to have a hope of attracting enough guys capable of playing at the level we'd hope, even then that's a much more restrictive area than all the elite academies are looking in.

If the aim is to be regularly selling on players then that means we need to be having players capable of playing at top end premiership or English champ/prem,  you can probably count the number of west fife players to have done that in single figures over the last few decades.

11 hours ago, SRBpar said:

Could u post what is said at the meeting on here within reason. I’m sure the wider fan base would like to know the outcomes.

I think the club has a responsibility to report back to the wider fanbase on this meeting. Transparency should be an inherent part of the clubs culture. The Board are running the club so therefore they're accountable.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Secure Par said:

Same with my laddie, was all over the place  then finally they trained at Starks park for a year which was good then it changed again.

All you used to hear was lack of money etc. I’ll not miss the match day trips up to Ross County and Aberdeen when there was no bus tbh. 
Is Bill Hendrie and that coach Dougie(can’t remember his second name) still there? I found Dougie a strange guy to talk to so just kept out his way!

It's Dougie Coulston, SP. He's a really good guy. Maybe a bit shy and wary of players parents as some can a bit demanding and unrealistic of their kids abilities. That's not a criticism of you or any other parent - it's human nature. Every football mad parent wants to see their child make it as a pro rfootballer.

Back on topic, Greg Shields is a huge loss. He had the kids playing really good, possession based, passing football. Finding another equally good coach, is a tough ask.

11 hours ago, Secure Par said:

Same with my laddie, was all over the place  then finally they trained at Starks park for a year which was good then it changed again.

All you used to hear was lack of money etc. I’ll not miss the match day trips up to Ross County and Aberdeen when there was no bus tbh. 
Is Bill Hendrie and that coach Dougie(can’t remember his second name) still there? I found Dougie a strange guy to talk to so just kept out his way!

It's Dougie Coulston, SP. He's a really good guy. Maybe a bit shy and wary of players parents as some can a bit demanding and unrealistic of their kids abilities. That's not a criticism of you or any other parent - it's human nature. Every football mad parent wants to see their child make it as a pro rfootballer.

Back on topic, Greg Shields is a huge loss. He had the kids playing really good, possession based, passing football. Finding another equally good coach, is a tough ask.

• Upvote 1

The safest bet would have been to have laid an astro down at East End and make a base out of there surely. Already had the gym, keeps everything in once place. An academy/purpose built training ground isn't required in league 1/championship at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Raymie said:

You wouldn’t imagine it would cost too much to employ a driver when compared to other expenses ? 

You’d need more than one as several teams play on the same day. My dad does it as a volunteer.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greg Shields leaving has left a real hole to fill. I'm still disappointed at his departure and initially I did wonder if he'd left because he was miffed because something was wrong with how he was being supported etc. But we have to accept the official release from the club at the time. 

I wonder if we're any closer to filling the post. A lot of suggestions about Cardle being s candidate, I personally wouldn't be against it.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Piracy said:

Greg Shields leaving has left a real hole to fill. I'm still disappointed at his departure and initially I did wonder if he'd left because he was miffed because something was wrong with how he was being supported etc. But we have to accept the official release from the club at the time. 

I wonder if we're any closer to filling the post. A lot of suggestions about Cardle being s candidate, I personally wouldn't be against it.

A relative of one of the academy players told me he has heard Stevie Crawford is in the running for it. He also said Berra was in the running before relocating to America.

• Upvote 1