Pars v Arbroath

Superally

Not sure how I can even begin this preview given recent performances, especially the last two where we shipped eight goals without reply! Indeed, our last goal was 4 games ago scored by Summers ironically against Queens Park! The Pars decline continues with no wins in the last eight fixtures and we are second last in the form table. Our saving grace is that the Arbroath team we face on Saturday is the worst - but not by much. The horrendous injuries the Pars continue to suffer continues with nearly a first team sitting in the stand. McPake has indicated in his post-match comments the there is two signings incoming but most fans seem to have a feeling of too little too late.  Arbroath don’t have their problems to seek and sit 6pts below the Pars in last place, they have not won in their last seven games. If the Pars could actually score a goal and take three points they could climb the table from 9th to 6th. However, it’s a massive ask at the moment and another defeat can’t be contemplated, I’m thinking a draw is the most likely, but its not the result that’s needed. COYP

Quite simply it's a game we really need to win, or at the very least, not lose. The manager knows that - the players know that. Much will depend on how McPake prepares the players, not just physically but mentally. If they go out, afraid of losing and concede the first goal, it could get very tricky.

We need to get about them from the off, show much more desire than we have in our last two home games and take the game to them without being too gung ho. We're 6 points ahead of Arbroath, a draw is no good to them, so they can't just sit in for 90 mins. I believe we might have 2 or 3 players back who weren't available last weekend. 🤞

Edited by GG Riva

8 minutes ago, Yorkiepar said:

At this stage of the season what earthly use is there in changing the management? That’s dotnet bollocks. Desperately hoping for a squeaky bum 1-0 win for the Pars.

Like what was the point all those years ago when leishman came in for just 3 games? Or do we just accept our fate ffs 

I'd imagine It's really hard to motivate players when you been scudded in the last 2 games and not picked up a win for ages. But there is enough talent in this squad to get results, its just a huge pity the injury situation has been so severe. It is down to McPake and McKay to find a way to give them enough confidence in the structure and tactics of the team for this game. I think there's been stuff been going on behind the scenes that's affected the management and the team. They look like they've given up and that does not fit with the resilient team of last season. Anyway, let's just hope we find some way of getting out of this hole soon, because we lose again the pressure will be huge and that can see us rooted to the bottom of the league. If that happens then I can see the Board reacting given relegation would be a potential reality. 

• Upvote 1

I think McPake will walk before he is sacked. I feel sorry for him because I don't feel he has been fully backed by the board. The board have been known for giving managers time and even wanted to keep Hughes on even after relegation. 

The German crowd seem to have neglected the playing side of things and it's starting to show. I think they should get this living true sportsmanship idea binned.

• Upvote 2

Hard to pick a result from 2 teams on a horrendous run. Arbroath were weakened when big Dick left the building. I can't see them staying up tbh. Hopefully the board can provide a player, or two before then. We desperately need them. We're in a perilous position if we don't bag the points.

On 12/02/2024 at 18:56, kelty_par said:

Like what was the point all those years ago when leishman came in for just 3 games? Or do we just accept our fate ffs 

Leishman was great for the Pars, first time around, but let's not get too carried away by the return of the Messiah. Sure enough, in his first game back, we beat Dundee 5-0. I was at the game. We went in 4-0 up at halftime in what was a fairly even 45 mins. Dundee created some very good chances, thanks to some rampaging runs and inviting crosses by Caballero on the left wing, but contrived to miss them all.

No such luck for Dundee. They had Soapy Soutar in goal. (The soap was on his palms) To say he had a nightmare is a gross understatement. He was in tears during the interval. He did better in the 2nd half but the baw was burst by then. We also did well in the next game, carving out a gritty 1-0 win at Tannadice. Maybe we should draw a veil over our last game of the season at Rugby Park - 0-4 going on 0-8. Killie took their foot off the gas in the 2nd half or we might still have gone down on GD,

Leish stayed on as manager at the start of the following season, but quickly realised that his passionate pre match talks about playing for the jersey fell on stony ground with that squad. Before long, he was helping the Board to appoint his successor..... A certain Mr Stephen Kenny.

29 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Leishman was great for the Pars, first time around, but let's not get too carried away by the return of the Messiah. Sure enough, in his first game back, we beat Dundee 5-0. I was at the game. We went in 4-0 up at halftime in what was a fairly even 45 mins. Dundee created some very good chances, thanks to some rampaging runs and inviting crosses by Caballero on the left wing, but contrived to miss them all.

No such luck for Dundee. They had Soapy Soutar in goal. (The soap was on his palms) To say he had a nightmare is a gross understatement. He was in tears during the interval. He did better in the 2nd half but the baw was burst by then. We also did well in the next game, carving out a gritty 1-0 win at Tannadice. Maybe we should draw a veil over our last game of the season at Rugby Park - 0-4 going on 0-8. Killie took their foot off the gas in the 2nd half or we might still have gone down on GD,

Leish stayed on as manager at the start of the following season, but quickly realised that his passionate pre match talks about playing for the jersey fell on stony ground with that squad. Before long, he was helping the Board to appoint his successor..... A certain Mr Stephen Kenny.

For added context though, You’ve skipped over the entire season of 05/06 that Leishman was in charge where we stayed up.  I mean how could you forget the 1-8 and the cup final…

He did his best, ultimately found wanting in the last season, but be remiss not to recognise he had a full season in charge where we’d been written off as relegation fodder and he kept us up.  If he hadn’t come in to replace Hay, we’d have gone down.  Dont think we’re anywhere near that scenario yet right now.

6 hours ago, Rossmcno1 said:

For added context though, You’ve skipped over the entire season of 05/06 that Leishman was in charge where we stayed up.  I mean how could you forget the 1-8 and the cup final…

He did his best, ultimately found wanting in the last season, but be remiss not to recognise he had a full season in charge where we’d been written off as relegation fodder and he kept us up.  If he hadn’t come in to replace Hay, we’d have gone down.  Dont think we’re anywhere near that scenario yet right now.

Oh, that was unintentional. My bad. 😒 I think it's euphemistically known as a senior moment.

Eta. I have the highest regard for Leish and what he achieved for the Pars when he first became the Pars manager. We were 5th from bottom of the whole Scottish League. The transformation he wrought on the club's fortunes in just a few years is second only to that of Jock Stein in the early 60s.

Edited by GG Riva
  • Upvote 1