Pars v Arbroath

Superally

So Kane the only new face, no returns from injury Todd and Jakubiak will be another week. Wighton out for the season, sure I read it was his injury that brought Kane in.

Not sure I can be ***ed with Saturday to be honest. Might just turn my alerts off and have my fingers crossed check in around 5pm.

Bullied kids in defence and a slow midfield with no creativity. So much for the two close to coming in. Same sound bytes every week no need for interviews just copy and paste.

1 hour ago, Eastendtales said:

I'm worried if he can't seem to motivate this squad. But it feels strange if that's true because you only have to look at both away games at Airdrie last season to see examples of how we fought to the (not literal) death.

Has something changed? I dunno. Everything is worrying right now though, or I might be projecting my own inner concerns out through this.

I suspect there are issues, unfortunately none we can fix for McPake and I think things will come out in the wash soon enough 

For now I'm going on Saturday and I'm  gonna give them my support as usual. If we win we'll know the fight back is on. When things get rough, get organised and get stuck in.

COYP

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Piracy said:

I suspect there are issues, unfortunately none we can fix for McPake and I think things will come out in the wash soon enough 

For now I'm going on Saturday and I'm  gonna give them my support as usual. If we win we'll know the fight back is on. When things get rough, get organised and get stuck in.

COYP

I just wish they had done this last week against QP. It sounded a very frigid performance. 

We need everyone in that squad, in the club to be standing up, demanding better and going out and at least trying to assert ourselves. 

I think against QP until we lost the first goal we showed plenty of fight but badly lacked quality, it’s a little more complicated than roll your sleeves up and graft.  Yes that’s important but so is knowing the moments to compose yourself.

Issues showed after going behind, the lazy way to describe that is to call players weak minded but I don’t think that’s a great way to describe it, what is needed is a better response to a adversity and I think that comes from a lot of experience, something that’s not going to change dramatically in a week.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, livipar2 said:

Getting Kane in is great but same midfield and defensive options. Desperately needed a defender in this week to help at the back and get Hamilton or Otoo into midfield.

There's talk of Big Ash coming back on loan over on daft.net..... 🤞

17 hours ago, Piracy said:

Now is exactly the time McPake will learn about himself and if he finds a way to improve things he will carry that experience with him for life. He's a young man in a high pressure position and he should be receiving support and mentoring from Cook and Meggle. There's only so much you can achieve with ambition and raw talent. Best thing supporters can do is get behind them. Support their efforts and we'll see where it takes us on Saturday. 

I agree, this is a time for James to dig in deep and start getting some results. We have been decimated by injury but that is no excuse for lack of effort from the players picked on a Saturday. I believe that he can turn this around with what he has and we will have some back from injury. I have no time for "sack the manager" at this point. I love to watch talent at work but like to see good attitude and effort when it is needed. 

• Upvote 4

I think it's fair to say McPake needs to do better, in terms of the team's tactics and formation and also in terms of his body language during games. The injury crisis has been terrible and undoubtedly limits his options, but to just continue with the same shape and tactics at 1-0 against Queens was pitiful, given how we had also played the week before and given the opposition, not to try something else even for 20 minutes was really poor, it felt like we went down without a fight, against Morton we were just utterly hopeless throughout, but last Saturday was almost more dispiriting.

Similarly, I can empathise with his frustration and disappointment in post match interviews, and even in pre match stuff, but during a game, he really has to be on it - on it with his body language and communication. His focus during a game has to be on his players, and leading them from the touchline - that might mean staying calm, it might mean being more animated, or being busy with instructions...it will vary, but he needs to look like he believes in what the team are doing. If he doesn't display confidence and ambition, there's less chance of his players showing it, especially given our form. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes and perhaps he has been dealt a poor hand by the board as well, but that shouldn't detract from his performance on a match day. As a teacher, when I am with the kids, I need to be on it and doing my best, regardless of whatever frustrations/disagreements I have with the school management. It will be the same in any leadership position, your in front of clients/customers etc, you have to still show your best self. 

• Upvote 8

Game day - normally an exciting moment but one filled with trepidation today. The optimism of 2 weeks ago has completely evaporated after 2 thumping defeats. The Pars are now in  a relegation battle and facing a 9th game without a win.

On the positive side, we face the team with the worst record and the only club with an injury record comparable to ours. Plus the addition of an experienced striker should help.

The tide has to turn somewhere, hopefully the road to recovery starts today.

• Upvote 2

My initial fear is that Arbroath will employ brutality from the off and attempt to intimidate our player with aggression. We cannot compete with that and have to play better football and be more clever. They will try to stop Edwards from playing but that should leave space for creativity from others. I have to trust the the referee will protect players and that we get through this game without another serious injury and 3 points. COYP. 3 nil to the Pars.