The Pars v Queens Park

While a mathematical 4th play-off place is still available most Pars fans have consigned themselves to finishing in the top half and looking to consolidate a 5th place in the table. However, the Pars have it all to do in the remaining three games and this Saturday there is much to prove at EEP against Queens Park. With Arbroath relegated, the Spiders sit 9th in the relegation play-off spot 6pts behind the Pars, Indeed all is not lost for the Spiders and the mathematical permutations suggest they could also climb up the league but for them to do so they must take 3pts on Saturday. The Pars need a single point to ensure they are safe from a relegation play off place but the faithful will be looking for all 3pts towards securing a 5th spot. The attitude and focus of the players is essential as this is not an atypical end of season meaningless game there is much still to play for and for Queens Park even more so. Undoubtedly Queens Park have the ability to do some damage having already beaten the Pars twice this season. Hopefully Hamilton will be fit to return to the midfield as the past two results has proven he was missed and that should ensure a tough 2-1 home win. COYP

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

I'll be especially pleased for wee Dom. 😊 

I really don't understand the grudge a proportion of our fans have against him.   He was ****ed around by 2 managers for a year, the later most acknowledge is an utter scumbag who created an environment nobody would be happy to work within. He chose to take a job much closer to home that would get him away from that toxic environment for what has been suggested as a quite good pay.      Given the same choice can anyone say they'd take another?   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I really don't understand the grudge a proportion of our fans have against him.   He was ****ed around by 2 managers for a year, the later most acknowledge is an utter scumbag who created an environment nobody would be happy to work within. He chose to take a job much closer to home that would get him away from that toxic environment for what has been suggested as a quite good pay.      Given the same choice can anyone say they'd take another?   

He signed a pre-contract with the team who relegated us man! On his game he was excellent but those games were few and far between and he contributed to our relegation no matter who the manager was.

I hope we play a part in relegating his mob on Saturday 

• Upvote 3

Re Dom Thomas (and others).

I've never understood why fans (of all clubs) not only accept but actively support the idea that a football club should be ruthless in "moving players on" to suit the club's interests, but a player should have a different attitude and not pursue his own interests.

Football is a short career, and (at our level anyway) not particularly well paid. There must be very few fans who wouldn't jump at the chance of a better-paid job in a happier environment nearer to home.

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Many fans love their club with a passion and perhaps unrealistically, expect the same devotion from its players who are of course, mere employees. That's why we especially identify with players like Chris Hamilton and Matty Todd, who are also Pars fans. I don't blame Dom Thomas for moving to QP, but his timing left a bad taste in the mouth and even worse, probably contributed to our relegation via the play offs. My information is that he was an opinionated guy who didn't exactly encourage dressing room harmony. 

Not doubt he was a decent player when he was in the mood but he's joined the list of former Pars I would no longer applaud on their return to EEP. I go all the way back to Barrie Mitchell in the 70s. Other notable members include George O'Boyle and Andy Rhodes who both ended up in Perth. 

• Like 1

The problem with Thomas was his performances at the start of that season were absolutely shocking. Bad manager or not the tools were downed.

He spent quite a bit time injured and club footed the bill, a couple of decent games before he then sat on the bench paid up because we couldn't play him in a relegation play off against a team he'd signed a pre-contract with. 

Not grudging anyone a move or bettering their wage, he could have easily moved or signed a PCA after the event. You don't have to be a genius to figure out one teams going for promotion but more likely play-offs and the others potentially in the same play-offs.

Can't remember the situation with Rhodes but O'Boyle wanted to stay and we wouldn't offer a decent wage and St Johnstone did.  

7 minutes ago, Al k said:

Can't remember the situation with Rhodes but O'Boyle wanted to stay and we wouldn't offer a decent wage and St Johnstone did.  

That transfer deal gutted me and the insult of receiving Roddy Grant and Lindsay Hamilton as part of the deal even more so. Not sure about Andy Rhodes but I believe O'Boyle was offered a signing on fee when he joined the Pars and it was never forthcoming. The club was utterly strapped for cash at the time and those two were the only real saleable assets the club had. 

Dom Thomas was a player with undoubted talent and the utter incompetence of the "management" at that time didn't help. However the player did himself no favours either and his attitude was evident - someone who could be a comfortable premiership player yet would make Stephen Simmons look international class when he couldn't be bothered. I have no objection for players seeking better pay, but I expect players to perform consistently to the levels the management and fans expect from them. 

• Upvote 1